MS, Sony or Nintendo - which E3 presentation sucked the hardest?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by benmrii, Jul 15, 2008.

?

Which sucked the hardest?

1. Microsoft

8.6%
  2. Sony

25.9%
  3. Nintendo

62.1%
  4. Dude, are you kidding? This E3 ruled!

3.4%
  1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Too many random discussions within threads specifically devoted to one presentation. So here you go: vote, discuss and compare their awfulness.

I feel that Nintendo was the worst. If a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll spare you about that many:

[​IMG]
    Credit to Sky Blue for the find or creation.

As the primary announcer she was sensationally annoying. Apparently the new buzz words are "cute" and "smiling," and her smile and presence came across as more drug induced than excited. Also, I get that showing off how easy a product is can be important, but next time maybe let her play the game before she is on stage at E3. Or better yet, just keep her offstage.

Wii Music looks more than a little disappointing. Why I would want to wave my arms around to "play" music when I have no choice of the notes is beyond me.

The two most exciting announcements: a hardware add-on that was actually announced a few days ago and that Zelda and Mario Wii games are being worked on (not a surprise).

Maybe it's because I'm an old-school Nintendo gamer, but I was pretty disheartened. One game that I'll probably buy and two more that I might try if visiting a friend that had them.

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The single interesting thing about the Nintendo one was GTA on DS. And when I say interesting I mean like circus freak interesting. I cant wait to see how bad it looks.

3. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Definitely Nintendo.
    They basically revealed NO software. And the ones that they did (aside from Animal Crossing and Wii Sports: Resort) were total rubbish.

The MotionPlus looks amazing, i must admit, but come on Nintendo! Where was that BIG announcement?

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Finally putting an end to it? :p

I am still going with Sony. As I have stated before, at least the Wii Fit Board can be used for something else now.

What did Sony bring? Video Rentals? Gee what an innovation....

I think a lot of people were hoping for something big from Nintendo after all the rumors. You were expecting too much. That's why you all feel let down.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Microsoft brought us their version of the Mii and SingStar.

Nintendo brought us their version of Rock Band-lite.

Sony brought us their version of the Top Gear TV show & lots of pre-rendered nonsense.

I don't remember feeling so depressed about my hobby... :(

The only plus points were the confirmation that the Mario and Zelda teams are "hard at work" and the rather tasty looking Resident Evil 5.

6. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Agreed. At this point it's pretty clear what each of the big 3 want to do with their consoles. All the sequels further confirm this in my mind.

I must be the only one who isn't sour on Wii Music - people are griping about not being able to select notes but I don't recall being able to do that in Rock Band or Guitar Hero. :confused:

EDIT: I propose banning PowerPoint presentations in favor of LittleBigPlanet presentations!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I... don't know. Microsoft had the biggest revelation and such but the only game I really cared about at all this E3 was Animal Crossing. But the rest of the presentation was utter cack.

Can't vote. Won't vote!

Mega disappointed with the handheld info. So Nintendo bang on about how great handhelds are doing now but what news did we get? And nothing big from Sony, they've basically killed off the PSP now. There are so many amazing features it could have. Email, a save state function (perfect for handhelds), custom soundtracks across the board (like the 360), hell even give it Trophies. But no. No no no. Give it nothing.

I saw-

Microsoft - Copy copy copy, MEGATON, copy copy copy
    Nintendo - New controller thingy, mic, Wii Sports 2, Animal Crossing, BAD PRESENTATION stab stab stab
    Sony - Rentals, celebrating PS2 (still?), DeathKillerBigGun videos

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Even I voted Nintendo. WTF?

Anyone else want to join me in a game of Wii-tea-party?

Stupid developers. At least go back to a time when casual gaming was associated with games like Monkey Island and Eric the Unready. Even Donald Duck's playground was more advanced and more entertaining than some of these new Wii titles.

<]=)

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

the 360 and ps3 having Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge has to count for something, even if they werent officially announced at E3 they finally revealed actual gameplay. They easily had the better third party games which is why I would say Nintendo is the worst.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You couldn't because that would make them real instruments.

A guy at my college used to make games as presentations. Nothing fancy like, just him with a BT controller at the front of the class. 'Parently he's gone on to study game design at some uni, natch.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Like our politicians tell us: "If you don't vote, you can't complain." ;)

I don't know what you're talking about. They announced a new PSP and Ratchet & Clank bundle...! :rolleyes:

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nintendo, with the wii selling so well it seems they are growing increasingly complacent of their old loyal fanbase and concentrating too much on the transient gamer.

Whilst it may be bringing in the big $$$ now as it's all very much in fashion, when fashion changes, isolating their original fan base could bite them in the ass in a few years time.

Sony's press conference was meh! at least Microsoft caused a little bit of a stir with the FFXIII announcement, but other than that and a few new nice updates to dashboard etc.. it too was meh!

Actually E3 was a major let down this year really all round.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Yea, us age-old Nintendo gamers aren't going to be fobbed off with "so yea Mario and Zelda teams are working on new games". Good. SHOW US.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The big 3 was "meh" all around....I don't know who would get excited for the crapfest I just witness. that FFXIII was the biggest thing this E3 and thats kinda sad. Nintendos crap was the weakest this season....I guess their not even trying anymore "Wii/ds prints money so screw yall" attitude.

I'm hoping some nice things get shown tonight and the rest of E3.

I want to see games now...no more bulls**** from N, Sony and MS.

Bless

15. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Have to disagree. They're doing a lot of what Blizzard does: work on a game for years and refuse to kick it out the door just to make the holidays. (Not to say that Nintendo isn't above kicking out unpolished junk. *cough* Barrel Blast *cough.*) This is especially true for Mario, which has only seen 3 flagship games since the premiere of Nintendo 64. A Zelda game takes years to make; Metroid Prime 3 was delayed nearly a year.

I don't see any evidence that we're seeing less hardcore titles. In two years, we've gotten Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Paper Mario, even a Fire Emblem game.

(That said, the coming year is looking a bit dry. So it goes.)

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Overall this was a pretty bad E3.

However, I voted for Sony b/c there was no announcement to a design change for their controllers.......I'm pretty sure their controller design will be getting it's drivers license pretty soon in the States......... :D

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Were not just talking first party titles. Look at the wii software library and the evidence is there.

Metroid, Zelda, Paper Mario were all mostly gamecube titles ported/enhanced/adapted for wii when development and schedules changed.

So other than SSBM and Mario Galaxy what hardcore stuff do we have to show for two years ?....

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

19. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Geez, you set the bar incredibly high here. Considering that we get a Zelda game every four years or so and Mario even less frequently, I just don't see how Nintendo can hope to fill E3 each year with AAA+ material. I don't see any more Metroid games on the horizon for a long time, other franchises are kind of stuck in "what do we do with them now" mode, they seem unwilling to establish the next Rare or Silicon Knights, they don't seem keen on outsourcing Starfox and other franchises, and they've had to kill games like Project HAMMER because of major suckage.

This feels a lot like WWDC 2007's keynote. Just because they don't have anything earth-shattering to announce doesn't mean they're ignoring the loyal fan base.

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

But they haven't had anything earth-shattering in a long time. They have simply done what they always do: put out the same stable of longtime franchises (although several were simply ported and 'enhanced' cube games). Loyal fans aren't craving Wii Fit, or Wii Sports 2 (although most will buy it), browse any serious gamer message board and 'hardcore' gamers want something new to the table, or maybe some retro rivals ala Capcom, anything that says "Hey! Just because we love milking Soccer moms and grandparents for all they're worth doesn't mean we don't care about you!".

Sony and MS always have something AAA to show, whether it be 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. Nintendo, being the market leader on consoles and handhelds number wise and sales wise, should be able to some up with SOMETHING.

21. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Yeah, we've seen so much originality from Microsoft and Sony's keynotes this year. No, wait, we've seen a lot of sequels and maybe one or two titles that are original.

Again, this feels like all those complaints about Apple making iPods instead of Macs. We haven't seen all that much that's "revolutionary" on the Mac side since they shredded the old Mac OS for OS X. A lot of the stuff instead has been evolutionary. (Apple even made pains to portray the Intel transition as nothing revolutionary by avoiding major redesigns.) So it is with all these game companies milking franchises and making sequels.

EDIT: You know, I'm thinking more and more as I read these threads that maybe I need to have a greater diversity of things I obsess over.

That does it, I'm logging off.

EDIT x2: One more thought: the whining about how Wii Music has no scores. Ugh. If you play like crap, you will sound like crap. Like in real life. (There are no score multipliers in live concerts.) There are valid complaints about Wii Music. (No DLC, I assume.) This isn't one of them.

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nintendo

- Annoying PR Woman
    - Carrot Top snowboarding
    - Crappy third party
    - Crappy first party titles (pokemon, yay!)
    - Wii Music: shake your hands about and press random buttons

and that Mario theme performance. There are no words.

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I thought this really just says it all.

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Did E3 already happen?

Looks like Apple's iPhone stole the show! :eek:

25. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue