Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Originally posted by zim

That is assuming that the hardware manufactures support it and assuming that your current computer has a DVD player, I think he forgot about that.

Or, in my view, recording DVDs is not even in the domain of operating systems. That's an application-level thing.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I am seriously cautious about Longhorn. It just seems like Microsoft is taking quite a few large steps towards taking the user's control of his/her computer away from them and even taking it away from other parts of the computer. It's almost as if it's a virus spreading out and leaving the user unable to even push the start button without Windows trying to suggest a better way to use your computer.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, good. I posted it for just this reason.

I'd hoped I wasn't alone in thinking that Longhorn really isn't going anywhere, and that even the experts will eventually say that it's the crappiest OS in wide circulation now.

Hell, in my ideal view, it could even trigger the end of Microsoft's OS division. (I've conceded that Office is probably the best thing in that arena, and wouldn't want that gone).

The final frontier seems to be to get the video games to the Mac. I'm not even concerned about prices, since you get more/better stuff, usually. My Dell Inspiron has 4 cracks in it. It isn't even made out of a metal alloy!

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Well, good. I posted it for just this reason.

I'd hoped I wasn't alone in thinking that Longhorn really isn't going anywhere, and that even the experts will eventually say that it's the crappiest OS in wide circulation now.

Hell, in my ideal view, it could even trigger the end of Microsoft's OS division. (I've conceded that Office is probably the best thing in that arena, and wouldn't want that gone).

Your delusional, lol the end to microsofts OS division? lmao. Crappiest OS? I think not.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by grabberslasher
2) It has a nifty feature that is hard to explain... it allows you to open the parent folder of any folder or the parent of any folder you have open. Sounds confusing...

OK, say I opened "/Users/grabberslasher/Documents".

With one click of a button in the address bar in Longhorn, I would be able to open the hard disk root, "Users" folder or the "grabberslasher" folder. And just by selecting a pull down menu I could then open the "/system" folder or "/applications", or any other folder in each level. Very hard to understand without a picture but it's all I can do. Trust me, it's very handy.

Did you mean this? (see attached). Command click on the name of any Finder window. It even works in Photoshop (on an open document window), Illustrator and InDesign.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Hasn't that always been a feature of Mac OS? I've been able to do that both on OS 8.6 and on OS 9.x since I've started using Macs. If that is what he was talking about, I'd say Microsoft was been quite behind thinking this is anything new ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Here's what I mean (for part 2)
The bit circled in orange is the thing I am talking about.

One click takes you to the Control Panel, but a click on the arrow beside it will give you access to everything in My Computer. A click on the arrow beside "Hardware an..." will give you a list of each of the control panels.

I prefer this to column view.

Other than the security issues (that haven't really affected me), I have no problem with WinXP. I'm looking forward to this version of Windows, although my PC is too outdated to run it. I know it comes out in 2005/6, but whatever. It sounds a lot like WinXP (again, something I don't mind whatsoever) with improvements. That's good enough news for me as long as they do it without mucking it all up somehow. Otherwise I'll stick to WinXP.

maraczc

macrumors member
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The sidebar is called "a slice of toast". Put from what I see, taping a slice of toast to your screen while be just as much use for the space.

However I still sort of like the almost sci fi "gateway" style desktop.

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
1) It has human-like searching, not like the Finder: (see picture 1)

e.g. In Longhorn you can search for "pictures that John sent to me last week" or "documents that Anne created yesterday". Because the file system is databased, the search is instant.

Yep, and it's based on MS SQL Server, which is pretty much the slowest database server out there, and which also has an occasional tendency to corrupt itself.

The idea of a SQL database being the only record of where my files are scares me to death.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by Lord Bodak
Yep, and it's based on MS SQL Server, which is pretty much the slowest database server out there, and which also has an occasional tendency to corrupt itself.

The idea of a SQL database being the only record of where my files are scares me to death.

Don't think that some virus or worm won't make a great example of what a malicious person can do to a filesystem like this. Slammer + Sobig + Blaster = :eek: :eek: :eek:

Something tells me when this database type layer gets corrupted you can kiss your files goodbye for good.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Originally posted by beg_ne
Don't think that some virus or worm won't make a great example of what a malicious person can do to a filesystem like this. Slammer + Sobig + Blaster = :eek: :eek: :eek:

Something tells me when this database type layer gets corrupted you can kiss your files goodbye for good.

Even MS has learned this lesson recently, so don't worry about that.

I mean, I'm sure it's not like you could just walk up and open a connection to some sql server and somehow obtain a list of files in the system. "delete * from filetree"

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by xpormac
ehh? you think security won't be upgraded or better? Read up on it.
Sure, xp gets a little more secure every three days when microsoft releases a new patch to fix a major hole. Or were you refering to security ala the riaa and mpaa? (I really don't know how much more/less secure it will be, I'm just being difficult)

I've cursed at my mac !!!!! lol
Oh I've cursed at my mac as well, but I've nearly thrown my pc off the roof (quite literally). And most of my cursing came from the fact that I was so new to the os. I give that point to the mac. Given a choice to use OSX or XP, I'd choose OSX any day.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
the only thing i'm impressed with in longhorn is the taskbar things. puts our Dock to shame. the Dock is cute and all but it's uses are so limited and annoying. i'd like to see some major Dock improvements in the future. aside from that, Windows can still go to hell.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Is this the best MS can do?

Longhorn looks like rubbish. It is clearly influenced by OS X, right down to the default desktop background. Unlike OS X, the whole thing does not quite gell together and looks kind of silly to anyone familiar with the real thing.

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Re: Is this the best MS can do?

Originally posted by Sol
Longhorn looks like rubbish. It is clearly influenced by OS X, right down to the default desktop background. Unlike OS X, the whole thing does not quite gell together and looks kind of silly to anyone familiar with the real thing.

It looks like XP not OS X......

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by themadchemist
-Apple already DOES clearly have the best OS.
-Apple is making its way toward having the fastest computers. But in that price range, they are not the fastest computers yet.
-and the old "you can't get any software for the Mac" argument has already gone the hell away, except for a few select games.

The real problem is to convince the ol' Windows-heads of the truth, because contrary to popular belief, the die-hard windows users are as adamant if not more adamant than Mac enthusiasts. But Apple's greatest improvement would be to have an ad campaign that started turning the heads of those who know nothing about computers and go for windows. A price that fit such people would also help.

I agree with the above but I think its a tad more than just a "few select games."

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well I don't. Not everyone here has consoles and rely on their macs as a gaming platform in addition to everyday tasks.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well, now that there is a Mac version of Sim City 4, I am a happy camper. I agree that the current state of gaming on a Mac sucks, but it does seem to be improving. We'll see how things are a year from now with iTMS for Windows, Panther, the G5, and all these new things coming out giving Apple a hopefully positive light in the industry. There are huge steps to take towards the right direction, but it looks like we are moving forward in the field of gaming possibilities rather than backward.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
London
Have you guys seen this?
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

Q: But Mac OS X already has a lot of these features. What's the big deal?

A: Apple has implemented some basic desktop composition features in Mac OS X "Panther," due this fall, and they appear to be quite impressive. But the basic problem with Mac OS X isn't going away: It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems. Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X. In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X. From a graphical standpoint, there won't be any comparison. Expect to be pleasantly surprised--dare I say "blown away"--when the Longhorn UI is revealed in October.

Some of the features like the fast searches (due to a databse like FS) a la BeOS do seem cool, but where do they get off thinking its all so new? That side bar thing seems rather reminicint of what was done in GNOME (with the gnome panel), and really the whole task orientated approach that was debuted in XP is occasionally useful, but hasn't really changed the way i use windows.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Zaid
Have you guys seen this?
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

Some of the features like the fast searches (due to a databse like FS) a la BeOS do seem cool, but where do they get off thinking its all so new? That side bar thing seems rather reminicint of what was done in GNOME (with the gnome panel), and really the whole task orientated approach that was debuted in XP is occasionally useful, but hasn't really changed the way i use windows.
That sidebar is a joke, I have alpha build 4015 running @ home, and the sidebar is the single most useless thing I have ever seen....just as well you can turn it off IMO :D
As for all the "task orientated" stuff, I have all that turned off in WinXP as well, it just all gets in the way and takes up far to much space, not to mention just opening My Computer seems to take twice as line when it has to build that side pane with all those wonderful "task orientated" links :rolleyes:

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Even MS has learned this lesson recently, so don't worry about that.

It's not like the recent worms were the first. MS never learns this lesson. Why should they when people continue buying their products anyway?

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Originally posted by beg_ne

Exactly! Systems using a FAT or Superblock or whatever it is Mac's FS calls it are much more reliable, especially when it is backed up.

When my Linux drive failed last year, I was able to recover all my files because ext2 backs up the Superblock every x number of blocks on the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.