Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
I’ve seen one of Puncube’s kickstarters in the past for a MagSafe key holder and it looks like they’re selling on Amazon now. I have no idea if they are any good though.
if this has any fiberglass filaments or coating woven in it NO TY!
They seem to have run out of money. shipping replacements. I had owned this design of holder storage etc. if the folding part isn't strong or the holder isn't quality break at the seams and loosed its edge.

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I just want to be able to charge my watch on the back of my phone so that I can truly go to ONE cable. Until that happens you'll always need another charger for the stupid watch.
Yes! I’ve wanted this for ages. I’d also like to be able to charge my watch from the MagSafe battery when needed as well.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Whenever I jump to usb c (17 or 18 iPhone) I’ll be looking forward to EarPods the most. Currently very very happy with 14 pro max

Anyone venture to guess if sound quality/loudness would be improved over lightning EarPods?
No. The sound quality improvements don’t come with connector alone, or even at all.

Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Whenever I jump to usb c (17 or 18 iPhone) I’ll be looking forward to EarPods the most. Currently very very happy with 14 pro max

Anyone venture to guess if sound quality/loudness would be improved over lightning EarPods?
Within the iPhone 16 to 18, there will be a foldable. Because of the resignation of components its possible quality will be better.

Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Big thanks to the EU for dragging Apple kicking & screaming into the future. No doubt Apple & the Faithful will frame it as "Someplace Apple was heading to anyway" but in reality Apple would still be as stubborn as a mule nickle & diming people with their proprietary cables & dongles.

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2017
… a stackable MagSafe battery pack is sounding like an awesome idea.
Are you sure though? I have one and whenever I charge both, using the pack as a wireless charger, things get piping hot. The same btw if you connect a full pack to a nearly dead phone…

Imagine what will happen with even poorer heat dissipation when stacking multiple of these…

timonz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
Are you sure though? I have one and whenever I charge both, using the pack as a wireless charger, things get piping hot. The same btw if you connect a full pack to a nearly dead phone…

Imagine what will happen with even poorer heat dissipation when stacking multiple of these…
I just want to stick my magsafe wallet on it.

Reactions: bkaus

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Funny how it’s always someone else’s fault whenever their rumours don’t pan out, never their own. I doubt Apple changed anything. He just got it wrong, plain and simple. Yet it lets him (and Macrumours) churn out tons of articles along the way and create much ado over nothing.

Too right. And then they employ the standard get-out clause: “Apple changed their minds six minutes before production started rolling.”

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki
I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, you can purchase a USB-C to USB-A cable from Monoprice.com (they have different lengths and colors).

Ehhh I’d honestly stay as far away as possible from non apple cables/accessories. Not because I’m a fanboy (because I am haha) but because they design these devices with such precision that anything non apple is possibly only a few nanometers off and that’s just enough to cause long term damage. I’ve had a family have issues with non apple charging cables, so to be safe I’ve just always stuck with apple stuff 🤷🏾

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
This is revisionist history. For Apple to be heading this way "all along" they would have needed to start making Lightning device transitions BEFORE the EU regulation ever got proposed. The transitions of the last couple of years has only happened AFTER the EU regulations passed.
Yes, a pre-regulation transition would prove the point, but the lack of one doesn't disprove anything.

Its impossible to know the cause-and-effect of this unless you've got an inside line to Apple's thinking.

Putting the M1 chip in the iPad Pro gave it the potential to support Thunderbolt, 6k displays and full USB 3.x - which are beyond what Lightning can do (Lightning can't even do USB 3 without an active dongle). They're pushing iPad Pro as a Mac alternative, so it starts to make sense for it to be able to use the same USB-C accessories as the Mac. The power requirements were going up, too. So there was a good argument for making the iPad Pro USB-C - EU or not - and at that point it starts to make good sense to standardise on USB-C as the standard charging connector. The media creation potential of top-end iPhones is going to have them outgrowing the bandwidth of Lightning soon, if not this year.

Maybe the upcoming EU directive was a factor in why Apple didn't develop "Lightning 2" to preserve their lock-in rather than go with USB-C - in which case, frankly, that's the EU directive supporting consumer choice as intended.

But Apple wasn't pushing that mandate to happen.

I don't think that was ever a serious possibility. Just that Apple would be "briar patching" if they complained too hard about the EU directive - Lightning was approaching end-of-life anyway and many customers will doubtless by new Apple-branded accessories rather than exercising their right to shop around. I'm not sure if Apple themselves have even said that - I just see a lot of vicarious complaints on their behalf.

It was mini-DP and USB-A that were the targets that Apple was keen to move off the board.
That went well - 7 years later and this year's model Mac Mini and Studio still have USB-A ports & they've re-introduced HDMI and MacSafe to the MacBook pro...

A big factor in Apple going with USB-C must have been Intel's decision to make Thunderbolt 3 use the USB-C connector, and we'll never know whether that decision was influenced by Apple. To me, that sounds like an Intel decision - betting on USB-C rapidly replacing USB-A and making Intel's Thunderbolt controllers the go-to USB-C implementation. Apple had committed to Thunderbolt 1/2 so they pretty much had to add USB-C to the MacBook Pro - and the thing about TB3 is that a small number of fully functional port hoovers up all the I/O resources that could be used for dedicated connectors.

The problem with USB-C is that it always made most sense on a phone/tablet where having a single, tiny, universal port is a near necessity - and it was conceived at the peak of the "why would anybody buy a PC anymore when you can do everything on a tablet/phone?" era.

Whatever Apple's intention for USB-C was, it was clearly designed with mobile device use as a major factor, and the rest of the industry was always going to see it as a no-brainer replacement for microUSB. The EU provided a helpful disincentive for anybody to think about making their own proprietary microUSB replacement or fast charging standard.

(Of course, the 12" MacBook was the first to go USB-C - but I'm sure that the original plan was for a later model, if there had ever been one, to add Thunderbolt support just as soon as Intel released a suitable CPU with integrated Thunderbolt)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Ehhh I’d honestly stay as far away as possible from non apple cables/accessories.
...but with Lightning, the choice was between premium-priced Apple products, premium-priced MiFi certified stuff and "do you feel lucky" unofficial products from Amazon sellers who use password generators to choos their company name (some unofficial products may be excellent - but you have to take it on trust). With USB-C other reputable suppliers are available.

You're still free to choose Apple accessories if you want - and they may face a bit more competitive pressure on their prices.

Its not like Apple stuff is perfect - they tend to "form over function" which means skimping on strain relief sleeves and using small, slippery, square-edged connectors which I don't find particularly nice to use.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Hoping Apple will release an all new USB-C model of MagSafe battery.

1694355680173.png

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I want USB-C on as many devices as quickly as possible. I can’t wait! If I could have my kids outfitted with a USB-C port and charge them up using cables I already own around the house instead of buying food and feeding them all the time, I would be thrilled!
Least extreme USBC fanatic on MacRumors

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Its good to see the USB-C connector become a universal standard across a range of products.. but Apple was forced into this by the EU. For all of the environmental boasting they do, its pretty obvious its not really one of their top priorities… highlighted by the use of lightning, where the part of the connector most prone to failure is on the device itself… the most durable part of the connector is on the cable side. However, the strain relief on apple cables is notoriously bad…hence they ended up in a situation where the parts most prone to failure are on both the cable and the device.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Ehhh I’d honestly stay as far away as possible from non apple cables/accessories. Not because I’m a fanboy (because I am haha) but because they design these devices with such precision that anything non apple is possibly only a few nanometers off and that’s just enough to cause long term damage. I’ve had a family have issues with non apple charging cables, so to be safe I’ve just always stuck with apple stuff 🤷🏾
I agree that many non-Apple cables can be problematic. However, Monoprice.com makes reliable cables and sells them for a relatively low price. They are not one of those mostly unknown brands that cut corners in meeting standardized cable specifications.

RobArtLyn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Anker products are just as good (if not better) and cost less. Absolutely no reason not use them. As has already been pointed out, USB C is not an Apple proprietary standard. All the (good) stuff plays well with all the other (good) stuff.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The EU just moved it up 1-2 years. Was always the plan.
Do you have insider information to confirm this? Because otherwise why drag on lightning on iPhone years after the transition of iPad from lightning to USB-C When there’s no technical reason not be able to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.