Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Until all this USB-C gets settled and the transition gets completed. Let us use this connector, please.

View attachment 2257218
I actually wouldnt mind this at all :) Right now I have these at the ends of all my USB-C cables

IMG_1781.jpg

Reactions: Michael Scrip

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
I get it that it's supposed to be about convenience. But does the connivence of saving less than 10 seconds by not having to plug a wire from the wired battery pack to the iPhone really outweigh the inconvenience of very slow charging via a wireless battery pack?

I am honestly shocked this is a product at all just give us bigger batteries. It’s comical tbh

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
They are going to get as much mileage out of this as possible. Apple needs a silver lining before it does anything "For the customer". They will re-release existing products with USB-C connectors, but call them AirPods Pro 3, etc. That said, I am grateful the EU had the balls to step up and hold Timmy and his band of money hoarders accountable for holding such a death grip on proprietary outdated technology. They were some of the first adopters of USB-C and thunderbolt on their MacBooks, it never made any sense until you realized the money they made on MFI certified lightning products.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I want USB-C on as many devices as quickly as possible. I can’t wait! If I could have my kids outfitted with a USB-C port and charge them up using cables I already own around the house instead of buying food and feeding them all the time, I would be thrilled!

Our kids don't need charging, they are continuously full of energy. Perhaps they can stand close to us and charge us???!?!

• Disagree
Reactions: soloohara

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
how very climate friendly for them to make you replace all your perfectly working lightning accessories with USB-C versions
No one is making you replace anything. I won’t be replacing any of my lightning connected items until they wear out. The only cable that will be defunct when I update my phone will be the one for the phone itself. That just means I have one more spare cable to charge my other devices that need a lightning cable.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
“For example, it will be possible to charge two iPhones at the same time, with one placed on either side of the battery pack.”

That seems very un-apple

Reactions: jimbobb24

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
how very climate friendly for them to make you replace all your perfectly working lightning accessories with USB-C versions

Thank the EU for that; although the move to USB-C was inevitable and I would not be surprised if teh major players greatly influenced the timeline.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Fake Wireless charging Is the dumbest feature to ever come to any tech device. I'd rather have a MacBook like magesafe magnet charger, but for iPhone they can reduce it even more in size. That is truly the future until true long distance wireless charging gets solved. No more ports. No battery destruction from fake wireless charging, no terrible inefficiency where you lose half your battery capacity for nothing. Hope Apple makes the investment. It will help them get their accessory monopoly back

Agreed, but I do love the current MagSafe setup, but mostly for its ability to hold the phone. I was hoping we’d eventually get a MacBook style MagSafe connector too, that’s the best thing ever, not sure how that would work with data, but I hope we get it one day.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple did not have to comply until iPhone 17 but I’m glad they did it early.
If you have a phone that is 12 or newer you should already have a USB-C charging block if you used the supplied cable. The phones will likely come with a USB-C to USB-C cable so there is no other cables and stuff to buy unless you want extra cables, thunderbolt rated or MagSafe

Apple's 'early' push on the charging block was more aligned with their 'war' on USB-A on the charging block than it was in cheerleading push to remove lightening from iPhones/iPad/etc. Making USB-A disappear on the Mac (at least most of them) shifted the charging block. ( Can use a Mac as very expensive charging block if need to. And can sync data that way also if avoiding iCloud. )

It also helped open the door as to why charging iPhones/etc were not so proprietary and didn't need regulation if Apple could optionally use the other chargers with USB-C sockets on them also (so "please leave the other end of the cable alone". )

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Does anyone know which connector or cable I need to get if I want to use a classic 5W Apple Charger to charge the new iPhone 15 Pro Max?

Is it possible to charge the new iPhone 15 Pro Max with the classic 5W Apple Charger?

View attachment 2257347

Not sure why picked that picture.

APLA1385-pimid2745-sm.jpg

The other is the one view of the device that completely hides the USB-A socket. If there is a USB-A socket then probably need a cable with USB-A one end and a matching USB-compatible end on the other.

The power delivery is baselined on USB standards. It will charge; just not fast. ( should negotiate down the lowest common (i.e., oldest) USB power delivery. ).

Reactions: JapanApple

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I always wondered why MagSafe accessories, particularly those of 3rd parties are all so dull. There is so much scope out there and yet all they’ve done is copy Apple with wallets and battery packs. These are useful and all but how about:

- A MagSafe wallet I can secure Yale keys in on a night out?
- A MagSafe thin asthma inhaler for the same use? Admittedly this would need some serious investment.
- a laser rangefinder for DIY jobs?
- a spirit level that I can just pull off when needed?
- a rear set of shoulder buttons for gaming?
- a pocket watch case for an Apple Watch giving you an external rear display?
- a magnetic ring flash or macro light?
- a Swiss Army EDC knife set into a rectangular shape?
- an emergency USB-C hub for other devices?
- A magnetic beer mat? I can’t be the only one who rests drinks on the back of my phone when it’s on the arm of the sofa
- A gimble like device that rotates 180 degrees to hold your phone with?
- a camera grip with a shutter button?
- an 8bitdo-style rectangular SNES controller you can just pull off and play with?
- a weather station packed with sensors to measure local humidity and temp accurately?
- a non-invasive blood glucose monitor?
- Just something simple to dock a Siri Remote to?

These are all off the top of my head and all would be useful to someone to have just in their pocket or bag, snapped onto their phone.
The more useful suggestions in your list like the gimbal/key holder/camera grip already exist. Others like the spirit level and Siri Remote can be done through an app. The rest like the medical devices might be too bulky/impractical for the back of your phone.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The more useful suggestions in your list like the gimbal/key holder/camera grip already exist. Others like the spirit level and Siri Remote can be done through an app. The rest like the medical devices might be too bulky/impractical for the back of your phone.
If you can point me towards a magsafe key case that would be great!

carloslegarda

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Agreed, but I do love the current MagSafe setup, but mostly for its ability to hold the phone. I was hoping we’d eventually get a MacBook style MagSafe connector too, that’s the best thing ever, not sure how that would work with data, but I hope we get it one day.
AirDrop for data. MagSafe for power.

Reactions: redbeard331

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yup, he chises his wording so it is easy to backtrack later … oh, Apple changed its plans

Funny how it’s always someone else’s fault whenever their rumours don’t pan out, never their own. I doubt Apple changed anything. He just got it wrong, plain and simple. Yet it lets him (and Macrumours) churn out tons of articles along the way and create much ado over nothing.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
If you can point me towards a magsafe key case that would be great!
I’ve seen a kickstarter in the past for a MagSafe key holder and it looks like they’re selling on Amazon now. I have no idea if they are any good though.

Edit: it looks like they are no longer MagSafe and moved to an adhesive design. A shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plinga
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.