Music on HD double size of iTunes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewjnp, Feb 15, 2014.

1. andrewjnp macrumors newbie

My HD shows 85GB of 'music' but in iTunes I seem to only have 38GB.

I do not seem to have an additional wayward music file; I have consolidated my library; I have checked the file path for songs and all seems to be in order....except....the HD is showing almost double the music load in iTunes. Why?

Any advice please.

Thank you.

2. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

Open iTunes and verify Preferences>Advanced> [] Copy files to iTunes Media folder is not checked. Otherwise iTunes will duplicate the song file into its own folder when added to Library.

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

To add on to this, OP, do you have music you keep outside of iTunes?

4. Robisan macrumors 6502

(Sorry, newbee question) So even if you place all music files in the OSX pre-set-up Music folder iTunes will duplicate the files to its own folder? Is that preference checked by default (i.e. Apple's suggested setup)? If that's true, that is just insanely stupid.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure if it's the default behaviour. IMHO you need to select the option to keep iTunes library oganized yourself.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1391

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Apple expects you will keep all your music in iTunes, which is a good idea.

It copes the files by default. I prefer it what way myself, but I almost never add music to my iTunes that way. So I can see how for some people it could be annoying, but that's why it's an option. :)

7. Robisan macrumors 6502

Ok, as I read that Apple info link the iTunes folder contains .itl and .xml files, which contain database info of all your media and playlists. That is very different from literally duplicating the actual media files.

Apple can expect all it wants, but it ain't gonna happen. In fact, I'm not sure I'm even going to let OSX get near my media files because I don't want to muck them up with .ds_store files in every folder.

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What? iTunes does all the work for you so why would .ds_store files generate in your iTunes library? Why does it even matter if .ds_store files in your iTunes library?

9. Robisan macrumors 6502

.ds_store files cause problems with the Sansa music players I use. I think they're ok with Rockbox, but as I understand it the Sansa stock firmware doesn't like them. Also as I understand it, every time Finder touches a folder it places .ds_store files in them. There are workarounds and programs to remove them from attached storage, but who needs that headache?

I thought using a Mac was going to make life easier, not crap in every folder of my media...

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The .ds_store files save window position, list view vs icon view etc. for Finder. You never really look inside your iTunes library with Finder, so your library shouldn't have .ds_store files.

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

Yes, but if I use Finder to access the actual media files - e.g. required to move files to the Sansa - it's going to crap a .ds_store in the folder. Hence my decision (so far, anyway) not to move any of my media into my Macbook.

(This is really off topic -- it's not an iTunes issue. I was simply saying that not only was I not going to use iTunes, but the Mac is making it difficult to even use my own personal music files.)

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Ah, I see, I thought you used a workflow like this and didn't use Finder for working with your music library at all.

13. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you opt for iTunes organizing your library, it will collect everything under it's own media folder via copying. That leaves the originals untouched, effectively resulting 2 copies of each file on your drive (assuming source drive and iTunes media folder are on same drive).
    PS why would you mess with iTunes in the first place, if you don't use it as your librarian/media player?

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Sansa window in that workflow a Finder window? If so, then anything I place there will have a .ds_store turd deposited with it.

15. Robisan macrumors 6502

I haven't opened iTunes yet and never really intend to. I only commented in this thread because I'm shocked at the inefficiency of this, if what you say is true. (I mean no personal disrespect to you -- I just find this hard to believe.) I have a modest ~65gb library of music. If iTunes really copies and doubles the actual files I wouldn't even be able to place my media on a 120gb internal SSD if I used iTunes. That's ridiculous.

Again, as a said above, I got a Mac because (in part) I was led to believe it was more efficient and made life easier. An iTunes program that needlessly doubles 10's (or 100's) of gbs of media is not efficient.

I have a carefully crafted, folder structure library of music and portable music players that allow simple drag/drop loading. Being able to edit and organize this in Finder is essential -- and I now understand is impossible without Finder crapping turds in my folders. I'm really pretty angry at finding out the Apple has arrogated unto itself the right to crap all over my possessions. If I had known this in advance I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought it.

/rant

16. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Oh my God, you haven't even used iTunes!?

Why is it essential to organize your music in Finder? I'd just use iTunes with playlists, smart playlists and playlist folders. You should also be able to mimic your folder structure with iTunes playlists.

iTunes copes the files by default (it's a one time option) because when you drag files to almost all other apps (web browsers, Photoshop, email etc.) it copes the file. For new users it could be a bit confusing if the files just moved into an app. Again, if you don't want them duplicated, change the option or just delete the files after they've copied into iTunes.

No offense but, you seem so close minded to change and setting something up in a way that works for you. Why don't you give a new and possibly much better way a try?

P.S. If you open iTunes, turn on the sidebar (View > Show Sidebar), it makes iTunes a lot easier to use.

17. Robisan macrumors 6502

@simon48 The whole iTunes question misses the point of my complaint, nor as I understand it will iTunes enable me to avoid .ds_store files polluting my folders, since Finder windows are require to transfer files to my Sansa.

FWIW, I've used (briefly) iTunes on prior (windows) computers and, frankly, it offered no value to me at all. I buy my music from Amazon, I don't need it to organize my library, I don't use playlists. Folder structure, drag and drop to portable players and a quality, small imprint computer player (e.g.Foobar2000 in windows) are all I need. There's really no good reason why I shouldn't be able to replicate that on a Mac -- or so you would think. Instead I have Steve Jobs giving me a giant middle finger from the grave...

(I apologize to the OP for diverting this thread.)

18. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Surely its incumbent upon the players you use to cope with an OS's built-in file management tool, it sounds trivial to have those players ignore the .ds_store files.

Of course if you really wanted you could setup an automator script to remove said files every day/hour/minute as you require but I'd suggest it would be cleaner for the player to be updated to ignore them.

19. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Your iTunes library will not have .ds_store files in it as you will not look at it with Finder (which you don't need to do). As for your Sansa, there's always the possibility of transferring to it without using Finder, running a quick script/app to remove the .ds_store files on it or making your Sansa not have a problem with .ds_store files (Rockbox?).

I didn't say that you would use playlists in iTunes instead of playlists you have now, was saying you could use playlists and playlist folders to mimic the folder structure you have now.

Instead of asking and Googling for a solution, you are just saying it's all Apple's and SJ's fault. I just Googled for a few minutes and found this app and this app for (automatically) removing .ds_store files from external devices. An app for transferring data to MP3 players.

If I can find a few possibilities in just a few minutes, I'm sure you can find a solution.

20. Robisan macrumors 6502

No, that's ass backwards. Surely it's incumbent upon the OS to manage a users personal folders without polluting them with hidden files.

@simon48 Yes, I'm aware there are some workaround solutions. But Macs allegedly are supposed to make things easier, not harder. I'm just pissed that I have to deal with BS that is totally unnecessary in Windows. AFAIA Rockbox is ok with .ds_store, but you can't avoid the Sansa firmware when loading files to the onboard storage.

I'll ultimately find and employ a workaround, but I am still concerned about establishing a quarantine to keep the .ds_store files contained to the Mac. I have Tinkertool set to prohibit transfer to network storage.

It should trouble even the biggest Mac fanboy that I have to type these words, but I just need to get the warm fuzzy feeling that the Mac isn't going to permanently pollute my folders. :eek: I shouldn't have to deal with this BS.

21. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Here's a couple down and dirty methods for globally disabling the creation of .ds_store files if you really want to go that way (obviously these will disable all of the good abilities of .ds_store files too).

Does your Tinkertool setting stop the .ds_store files from being transferred over to your Sansa?

22. Robisan macrumors 6502

Thanks. I ultimately get this sorted out. Two weeks in to learning OSX I'm pretty cautious about messing with these kinds of changes.

No, my understanding is the Tinkertool setting (which is really a gui method of making a Terminal change in OSX) only affects network storage. It takes third party software/solutions to prevent transfer to (or strip out of) attached storage like USB drives or flash media players like Sansa.

23. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yep, what you describe is what I call "brain damage from longtime use of Windows". Nothing personal, just my notion of things ;)
    Actually I have also quite a library (2+TB) and I happily let iTunes take care of it's folder structure (which actually becomes very logically organized btw).
    So after adding something to iTunes, I immediately remove the original.
    As was said earlier, you can leave folder organization your own task, in that case iTunes just copies the links to files into it's library and won't touch your file structure. With this scenario you can have your media files scattered all around the place, in fact.

At the end of the day - I couldn't care less where & how the files are actually stored in the system (although I know where they are and how they're organized because I let iTunes keep the folder tidy). I use either iTunes or iOS-device exclusively to navigate my media. I don't need (nor want) to think about the file structures behind the thing.

24. Robisan macrumors 6502

@priitv8 Yep, what you describe is what I call "inflexible Apple myopia," the narrow-minded belief that it's either Apple's way or the highway. Nothing personal, just my notion of things. ;)

To each, his own. I have no quarrel with what works for you. I expect the same in kind about what works for me. And so too, I expect it from an OS in a $2,000 computer.

Nothing I'm doing here is rocket science. We're talking about very basic folder/file/naming structure. We're talking about the basic ability to drag/drop the folders/files of choice (free of junk files) to and from various media. I expect a $2,000 computer to allow me to do these two basic things if I choose to do them. Is that really an unreasonable expectation?

25. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What? You just had multiple people give you a bunch of opened-ended options. I see how it's not perfect for you right now, but how is it Apple's way or the highway?