MW Expo Boston-2004=no Apple

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Louisville, KY
How is that possible? I thought that Apple was the main backer. Plus, how can you have a MacWorld without the Mac producers? I don't think the Boston show will be an actual MacWorld. They'll probably keep it in NYC and how some smaller developer type show in Boston. From what I've read in several Boston publications, the deal they reached promised "a show of some type related to Macintosh products." Doesn't sound like a MacWorld to me.

E

evilfunkgenius

If it is true...

If the rumor is true, then it looks as if Apple is debating the benefits of moving to a "lesser" city. (no offence to Bostonians, but New York has a bit more clout).

It might also have to do with all the pro-New York stuff going on since Sept. 11th also. Think about it, Mac is already the underdog, and they might not want to be percieved as pulling out of a "troubled" location -- as far as publicity goes. Plus after the huge XP festival, they need to probably stick around and fight the good fight in the big apple.

Or maybe IDG conferences just pissed someone off in the conference group at Apple and they are being stubborn.

-efg

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Remember, it was only last year that Apple attended MacWorld UK, after not bothering for something like 3 or 4 years!

I think they'll do their own show in NYC - and it will rule!:D

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
holy crap this is weird! i live in boston but prefer NYC for Macworlds. SO MUCH more to do at night, etc. Boston is a pain in the ass to get around, where NYC is super simple. Boston is just as expensive for atendees as NYC.

Apple not being @ a Macworld? Seems impossible. Boston must be something smaller than Macworld... a lot to think Apple wouldn't attend.

Strange days my friends... :confused:

Mr T

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
Strategic thinking

Apple can no longer afford to participate in two conventions per year. Their declining market share and lack of new compelling products for the next year or so (No G5) means they don't have much to showcase at events. How many Jaguar demos can Steve do without boring himself and the rest of the world? In the past few years, MacWorld NY has also generated a fair amount of negative buzz. The events have been bombs because their has been no new hardware announcements. Steve's ego must still be reeling from the response he got from the. Mac presentation this year. Last years event was just as bad because Apple did not live up to the rumor mill hype and everyone was way disappointed.

The apple stores are doing well and means they have less need for special PR events.

Apple does not care about leaving NY or going to Boston it is just an excuse to get out of the event.:confused:

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
I guess if Apple's trying to get away from introducing new products at Macworlds, this is one (extreme) way to do it...

Fat Tony

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2001
See. All the bitching and moaning about new products not showing up at MacWorlds has made Steven mad and he's taken his toys away.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Re: Strategic thinking

Originally posted by Mr T
Apple does not care about leaving NY or going to Boston it is just an excuse to get out of the event.:confused:
This can be the only justification other than traditional Apple arrogance. I love going to MacWorld's but they're becoming less important. We have a 365-day MacWorldExpo by using the internet; less reason (not no reason!) to see everything in person.

I was half expecting the shows to change dates. I can't fault Apple for lame announcements at the July show; it's just a bad time to announce products. March/April is probably the best time to announce products for education, and September/October for the retail holiday season. That's when the expos should be if we want to see those juicy announcements.

Furious Tiger

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2002
New York City
Re: MW Expo Boston-2004=no Apple

Originally posted by Gus
Apple announced today that it will NOT be attending the Expo in Boston in 2004. WTH? What is MW without the Stevenote? This is real bad news to me, because I was planning on going to that one as my first one. Dang. I guess I'll have to plan to go to MWSF instead.

Gus
NICE! This is the exact strong arm tactics that Apple needs to use against this STUGATZ who thinks he is running things. No Apple, No MacWorld. NICE!:D

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Re: Re: Strategic thinking

Originally posted by bignumbers

This can be the only justification other than traditional Apple arrogance. I love going to MacWorld's but they're becoming less important. We have a 365-day MacWorldExpo by using the internet; less reason (not no reason!) to see everything in person.

I was half expecting the shows to change dates. I can't fault Apple for lame announcements at the July show; it's just a bad time to announce products. March/April is probably the best time to announce products for education, and September/October for the retail holiday season. That's when the expos should be if we want to see those juicy announcements.
I have to agree. The last three MacWorld NY expos I attended were really disappointing as far as new products. The most excited stuff is here on MacRumors and Apple's website.

I live in NYC, and feel that "Silicon Alley" has a higher concentration of graphic artists, broadcasters, television, film and music studios that use Macs than Boston anyway. Just look at the amount of people lined up outside the Apple Store Soho when Jaguar was released. I went to Tekserve (Ye Olde Reliable Mac Shoppe) and even they were crowded. New York just has more Mac based media companies than Boston.

CRMarvin42

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2002
Lafayette, IN
Hmmm...

I wonder if apple was planning on backing out of Macworld all along or if it really is about NYC vs. Bean town.

If it's about location then Apple should have told those incharge of organizing, that they wouldn't participate if it moved from NYC.

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
My work had sent me to several Macworld shows in NY, but last year I told them not to bother because I learned more from reading about the new stuff on Macsurfer, and I could just watch the keynote on TechTV. Saved my boss TONS of money and made me look like I was taking one for the team. In all actuality, I found it more enjoyable- No outrageous prices, no crowds, no getting up at 5 AM to get a "good seat" for the keynote- no more disappointing seminars that merely brushed over very basic information (including the "Pro Seminars") As it turns out, I didn't really miss anything. It wasn't worth it- I guess Apple feels the same way I did.

I predict MW Boston turns into a swap meet at the old Drive In theater in 3 years.

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
This is the most bizarre thing I've heard of in years.

Companies posting 45 million dollar losses don't skip their own trade shows!

Well, maybe they can't afford it any more:)

TL

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: MW Expo Boston-2004=no Apple

Originally posted by Gus
Apple announced today that it will NOT be attending the Expo in Boston in 2004. WTH? What is MW without the Stevenote? This is real bad news to me, because I was planning on going to that one as my first one. Dang. I guess I'll have to plan to go to MWSF instead.

Gus
This is wierd on sevceral levels.

The expo is hosted by the same folks as before and they are merely moving BACK to Bosdon after a short hiatus while they BUILD A SUITABLE VENUE. Now that it is built and they are invited back to cristen it this happens.

It is also wierd that Apple would ANNOUNCE they are not going so far in advance. This seems more political than marketing or business. It seems Apple and Jobs is receiving heavy pressure to keep the expo in NY from politicians. On e problem. The expo is attended by Apple not hosted by it!

The facrt that booth space is 35% lower and the associated costs are more than 50% lower should be enough on the basis that lower costs increases vendor participation. I do not know how many "locals" attend, but certainly not a statistically significant number. This is the sort of event people come from all over to attend.

So from Apple's perspective it SHOULD only matter that the venue is suitable, there is plenty of access to travelers, and that vendors can afford to come.

Boston looks to be the right choice from all of these perspectives.

So the anouncement makes NO sense.

Rocketman

Maybe Apple will simply change its mind in a year or so and pretend this announcement never happened, after the politics from NY subside. Hillary and Steve :(

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Strategic thinking

Originally posted by ogun7

I have to agree. The last three MacWorld NY expos I attended were really disappointing as far as new products. The most excited stuff is here on MacRumors and Apple's website.
Just to clarify - although I see some justification, I don't see enough to can the Boston show. Really bizarre, and quite arrogant given the timing.

I suspect Apple is just playing this for something, and it'll work itself out over time. Maybe they're looking for a good discount for space in SF, or at another IDG expo. Maybe they DID want a spring/fall set of expos but IDG wasn't interested.

The short-term PR will be horrid for Apple in the Boston area. I'm in a distant suburb (not close enough to care by distance where the expo is). No mention of the fiasco on the noon news, but good coverage of the announcement (complete with marching band). Tonight's news will surely cover Apple's withdrawal. I can practically see it now, "Apple slights Boston, local businesses lose millions, story at eleven!"

Mayor Menino is probably on the phone with Steve right now trading cusswords.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Re: Re: Re: Strategic thinking

Originally posted by ogun7

Exactly, why does Apple still bother to build actual hardware and software when they could focus on releasing juicy rumors and cool wide angle images of empty but 'oh so damn good' looking boxes ?

The world would be a perfect place and we could all rest in peace. It would be called the 'Apple matrix'.
:D :D :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Strategic thinking

Originally posted by Mr T
I think you hit the nail on the head. That's probably what most of us are thinking. Do they know this far in advance they won't have anything to show? Maybe they'll change their minds when the time comes.

Apple not coming to MacWorld kinda defeats the purpose of having a MacWorld. Who's going to want to come?

"Next up, Adobe and Macromedia have no plans to attend MacWorld Boston. To quote either of them 'Why bother, we didn't really care anyway'. Former Boston Mac owners buy Wintels, expect to be ****ed up the a** anyway. 'At least we can buy more crappy software that won't work and our computers crash much faster, just like everyone else'. News at eleven."

I feel kinda bad for Bostoners now (hehe boSTONERS heh. Sorry, I need sleep). What are the folks at As The Apple Turns gonna do now? Sigh.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
One person speculated Steve might be pissed at the backlash from the ,mac announcement. But feedback is something most companies actually wish for. Yes it was agressive and initially negative, but it transitioned to specific desires like keeping one's email address, not being chgarged for more services than are needed or wanted and not beng overcharged because you happen to be a family.

Those issues were mostly well addressed by Apple as were similar concerne swith OS lisencing fees.

But addressed they were AFTER the feedback other suppliers only wish they had. And notable Apple responded within about a DAY, amazing for a big corporation with millions of customers, perhaps unprecidented.

Then they received DOUBLE the .mac subscriptions they anticipated. Great!

So Steve should calm down and take a few lumps. Maybe Apple should still provide the posters and perception support and have a 10x20 booth like everyone else.
:)

Rocketman

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Wow that makes no sense.... I mean apple wanting to stay in NYC and IDG trying to move it... bah. Since apple money goes into the expo apple will winout, it is just a Stupid move by IDG, losing them money.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Re: Re: MW Expo Boston-2004=no Apple

Originally posted by Rocketman

The expo is hosted by the same folks as before and they are merely moving BACK to Bosdon after a short hiatus while they BUILD A SUITABLE VENUE.
Maybe that's how you were looking at it, but I think Apple was looking at it as moving to a "real" city.

Let's see...NYC is the center of the East Coast television industry. NYC is the center of the East Coast film industry. NYC is the center of the national publishing industry.

NYC is perhaps the world center for journalism.

And Boston? It is the center of what, exactly?

It seems Apple and Jobs is receiving heavy pressure to keep the expo in NY from politicians.
Why can't Jobs want this on his own?

The facrt that booth space is 35% lower and the associated costs are more than 50% lower should be enough on the basis that lower costs increases vendor participation. I do not know how many "locals" attend, but certainly not a statistically significant number. This is the sort of event people come from all over to attend.

So from Apple's perspective it SHOULD only matter that the venue is suitable, there is plenty of access to travelers, and that vendors can afford to come.
First of all: if I'm not mistaken, attendance at MWNY was higher in NYC every single year than it EVER was in Boston. More to the point: it was attended by more "important" people as well: reporters from NY Times, WSJ, etc. Likewise. Steve has been able to follow up his keynotes with immediate interviews on CNN and CNBC.

I know that most of the Mac shops here in the city (and there are a ton), would just sort of let everyone go. And most of 'em would come back with something (a game, a pocket hard drive, etc.)

As far as I can tell, the mainstream media could really care less what Symantec announces at Macworld, or Adobe, or Macromedia. They care what Apple announces, and Apple will get a hell of a lot more press in NYC.

And without Apple, Macworld will be sort of useless.

Boston looks to be the right choice from all of these perspectives.

So the anouncement makes NO sense.
I guess it's just differing opinions, but I never understood Boston in the first place. (And I grew up about an hour and 20 minutes away.)

I say kudos to Apple for this. They're already perceived as a "niche player". Having their expo in a second-rate city only exacerbates that problem.