Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I still think that the cube was easily the best looking Mac ever.

I know it failed to sell in large numbers but this was down to the price, specs, lack of upgrade routes etc etc.

On pure asthetics, the cube was the best ever, and I really think it will make some sort of reappearance, possibly by influencing the design of a new pro line?

Steve Jobs made it clear that the cube was his favourite and when announcing its discontinuation he did say we may see it again some day.

I hope so!

agoldweber

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
Re: Re: a more black & white issue: any doubt about DDR?

Originally posted by nero007

Classic mode won't be killed. Just booting from OS 9. If the rumor is true.

this I realize--I was the term 'Classic' referring to everything pre-OS X.

the Classic Mode is a different Kettle of Wax or Ball of Fish, or whatever, and is NOT a subsitute for a native OS 9 boot.

so to this end, it would be a shame and a mistake if the new boxes weren't BOOTABLE in OS 9.

sehix

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
"To flat out say white is good and black is evil has very strong racial under tones no matter how you try to sugar coat it."

Only if you're entirely ignorant of most of recorded history.

Light and dark have been used by most cultures to represent good and evil, truth and falsity, and just about any other positive/negative duality you want to express.

And that includes dark-skinned, as well as light-skinned cultures, many of whom had little or no contact with the other during much of their history, the symbology arising before contact.

Give it a rest.

sehix

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by Marvenp
It is also common knowledge that anything that is black is referred to as being evil, dark, mysterious, demonic, unclean, yada,yada,yada. While anything white is referred to as being pure, beautiful, innocent, sanitary and so on.

Well, *that* certainly explains why, for example, white is the usual color of mourning in many asian cultures.

The more you learn about the world, the less you'll see that your argument has much utility.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I saw a shiny new metallic silver BMW convertible yesterday, and had to back up and take another look. The curves were complimented by the color and it was truly a thing of beauty. Down the street from my office there are these big scrap metal bins also with a similar finish, yet ugly and even an eyesore. My point is that the material is not the paramount concern, but how it's designed and finished. A metalic finish on a new tower case may be a thing of beauty or an eyesore, only time will tell (if in fact Apple chooses to make them with that finish).

BTW I totally forgot that Gregor Samsa was finally killed by Apples in Kafka's The Metamorphosis, but what does that have to do with PC iPods?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I don't think that OS 9 will die just yet. I think Apple will give it a year or so, this way, developers will have had enough time to port their apps to OS X, or the users will have time to find an alternative app.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Couple of things:

The PC iPod should be shaped like an Apple, regardless of color (imagine a horde of PC users walking around with iPods shaped like apples on their belts).

If they don't do that, rather than a very minimalist white case, it needs to have Apple on it in huge neon letters, maybe blinking lights, so that everyone knows where it comes from.

Ok, finally, remote control? Do you think that would be a bluetooth remote? If so, what's the range? Can that be used on an airplane? I know they don't allow anything that transmits or receives to be used...

hackamacj

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2002
HB, Surf City
Re: Metallic G4 does seem more likely.

Originally posted by lem0nayde
I agree with the person above that asked why noone is mentioning a metallic case for the new G4 enclosure. It seems likely, since Apple's current motif seems to be white = consumer / metal = pro. Think of the eMac, iMac, iBook, iPod vs. the tiBook, Xserve.

I would love to see a sharp looking metallic encasing - perhaps with a sleek, body that takes up only as much room as it NEEDS to. Maybe it will also take advantage of the sliding drawer mechanisms of the Xserve. I'm sure whatever it is, Apple will have thought of something that we didn't know we needed, but can't live without thereafter.

Joe

I wouldn't put the iPod in the consumer category, based on your criteria, I mean, jeez, it has white & metal, meaning Pro & Consumer, Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.