MX Master Wireless Mouse compatiable with Mac OS Sierra?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ray&Paula, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

Hi, I have a new 15" 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Retina/Touchbar on the way. I'd like to pick up a Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse but, I don't see where it's compatiable with Mac OS Sierra? It doesn't show up in the compatibility list. Plus it appears that some people are having issues. Thanks, Ray

2. ViDtje macrumors newbie

I have been using it on my late 2013 15" rMBP since the MX Master was released. It works fine, just install Logitech Options.

3. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

I've heard that some of the options were not working properly on the newer models. I'm on my second "Performance MX" both have been great!! Battery life is now beginning to suffer a little, but all works well. I'd like to add, I'm currently using a PC instead of Mac. Can't wait to switch!! Thanks, Ray

4. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I've had the MX Master for about a year now and it's worked okay on my MBA. After I upgraded to Sierra there were intermittent problems connecting via Bluetooth where the mouse would suddenly disconnect for no reason and I couldn't add it back unless I shut down and restarted my computer. Now I use the unifying receiver instead. Probably a Sierra issue but it might be because I have an older mac?

5. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

That's the type of issues I've been reading throughout forums. I haven't heard about any fixes from others as well as Logitech. Seems like it's a problem yet to be solved. Hopefully others will chime in verifying some better news. Like several other people, I really wanted this mouse for video editing. Thanks for your input. Ray

6. ViDtje macrumors newbie

I actually have no issues with my MX Master, I use it with BlueTooth. I didn't know of any other people having issues.

7. Ray&Paula, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

What OS are you on? Tha following link is one of the forums with complaints;
    https://community.logitech.com/s/topic/0TO31000000UKPLGA4/bluetooth-wireless-and-corded-mice

Logitech states that there is an update for OS Sierra but, I do not see the MX Master on their list.
    http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/logitech-control-center-for-macintosh-os-x

This link may be a fix if anybody is having Bluetooth issues;
    https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/475566/logitech_mx_master_input_lag/

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I find on Bluetooth the mouse is not as precise as with the unified controller.

9. ViDtje macrumors newbie

I'm on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555).

10. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks..... It's great to know that it's working well with OS Sierra. My Performance MX has been a great performer. I'm looking forward to using the MX Master with all its options. Thanks again for the help. Ray

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Try it with USBOverdrive or SteerMouse (instead of using the Logitech control software)...

12. Ray&Paula, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

I have purchased alot of equipment through B&H over the years and usually when they state an item is "Currently Unavailable" it's either discontinued, there's a change coming and/or there's an issue. Also, the price is usually removed. Other terminology such as "Temporally Unavailable, On Back Order, Out of Stock usually means there's some on the way. I might add, the previous mouse (Performance MX) states the same thing. This has been my experiance.
    MX Master:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ech_910_004337_mx_master_2_4ghz_wireless.html

Performance MX:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...910_001105_Performance_Mouse_MX_Wireless.html

In addition, below is a response from Logitech discussions......
    https://community.logitech.com/s/qu...771&s1uid=005310000082P9y&s1ext=0&fromEmail=1

I also went to the Logitech Support/Download page (link below) and took a look at there updates for Mac. An update on October 6th states "Bug fixes for macOS Sierra (10.12)." If you click on "Works with these products" the MX Master is not listed. If you had this update and it worked with your MX Master, please let the group know your past/present experiance. Thanks, Ray
    http://support.logitech.com/en_us/downloads

13. Patrick-Photo macrumors regular

It works great, even with my 2011 15" MacBook Pro that is modified with a BT4 card.

I don't know if it's only with my machine but sometimes after getting the macbook out of sleepmode the MX Master doesn't want to connect, my Apple BT Keyboard works fine. For now I'm blaming it on my MacBook since that's modified with a non original BT4 card.

14. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Here's a HUGE review......... Note the Bluetooth Connectivity section. Bluetooth connection seems to be the biggest problem that I have seen.......... Other than that it seem to be a good mouse.
    https://mikesmice.com/mx-master-review/

15. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I'll add my .02 here... I have the 2016 MBP 15" TouchBar with the MX Master... Logitech just released a new update with a redesigned application. All the buttons work fine under Sierra... I'm still having issues with it disconnecting and stuttering when moving across the screen. It's almost like something takes over the processor, the mouse arrow stops completely for a split second, then begins moving fine again. It is very weird. It is NOT smooth. Anyone else with similar issue? How did you resolve it? Thanks.

16. esetnik macrumors newbie

I have the exact same issue. I requested customer support from Logitech via email and never heard back.

17. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I went through their Facebook page... They answered me and then got tech on it. Still a little jerky, but better than it was... I think it had something to do with Apple Mail causing the whole system to freeze briefly upon checking/downloading new messages.

18. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone know if the following MX Master update fixed problems with OS Sierra?
    • Software Version: 6.40.106
    • Post Date: 23-JAN-2017
    • OS: Mac OS X 10.10.x, Mac OS X 10.11.x, Mac OS X 10.12.x

19. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Use "SteerMouse" instead of the Logitech driver software.

Works as well, or better.

20. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad you posted this, because mine didn't notify me of an update... I went into the Preference itself and it still said there was no update... I went to the website and downloaded it...

I was going back/forth with Logitech over this mouse lagging and glitching... I sure hope this fixes it! Seems to be noticeably smoother after an install and restart... I'll report back if it starts lagging again.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2017 ---
    The arrow just seized up tight on the screen for about 5 seconds... Overall, it seems smoother, but I just don't know why it would freeze for a few seconds... So weird.

21. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Keep in to
    Thanks for the reply! I want to use this mouse with FCPX & Motion. I've had this mouse (new) for the past six weeks and haven't opened the box. I want to make sure that it will serve me well for video editing, etc.. Please keep in touch..... Thanks again, Ray

22. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Seized up twice on my in a matter of a minute... Seems slow going across the screen... Not very pinpoint... Not sure what the deal is, but that software update didn't fix anything. Never used to have this issue... Not sure what the deal is. Not happy.

23. Tiberius2000 macrumors member

Tiberius2000

I have a MX Master on my 2015 iMac using the Unifying receiver. The Bluetooth connectivity has always been spotty, but the Unifying receiver works well...actually *worked* well. Just five minutes ago it started lagging/stuttering/skipping.

I had to switch to the Apple Magic Mouse 2 (ugh). If anyone has a solid solution I am all ears.

As a side rant, it seems that after year of iterative improvements with support for peripherals we are back sliding at the same time that Apple's own peripherals are becoming terrible. I hate the keyboards of the past few years: they are beautiful and elegant and promote terribly slow typing speeds.

24. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Are you using Logitech's software or a third party solution like SteerMouse?
    (I assume you have already done this, but did you try other batteries? ((I can't remember if the Master has ones that can be swapped or not?)) I ask because my first-gen AnywhereMX starts to do this once the voltage gets below a certain point, and it seems to be amplified the further away the unifying receiver was.)

25. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Very spotty at best with the '16 MBP. Sucks.