My $20 mistake... (trying Android)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I thought I was missing something in my smartphone arsenal. Android seemingly had all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks.
    - 4.3 inch screen
    - SuperAMOLED plus display
    - Google maps navigation
    - Android openness
    - Replaceable battery
    - etc

So I go on craigslist and buy a Galaxy S II for $320 thinking maybe I would switch since I couldn't see any drawback to Android atm. Turns out I was wrong.
    - The screen is not my thing, it's ok but pixelated
    - SuperAMOLED plus is harder to read outside
    - Google maps navigation was nice but eventually I need an app w/ on board maps that doesn't use data (in case I'm in a rural area)
    - I actually don't have a problem w/ apples sandbox. I have an app for everything I need
    - Battery life was worse and took FOREVER to charge. Sometimes I wake up and forget to charge my iPhone and can plug it in on the way to work and charge it up from 20% -> 70% in an hour and be good. W/ the galaxy s II if you plug it in for an hour it would go from 20% -> 32%
    - Being OCD I hated the fact that Android uses a bunch of random sized icons, I like how everything is uniform and clean on the iPhone
    - The Galaxy S II lagged, not terribly and probably the fastest android I've ever had (w/ dual core exnyos processor) but still it had occasional hiccups you def don't see on the iPhone.

I'm selling this Galaxy S II as we speak and am happy it only costed me $20 to learn my lesson... Stick w/ the iPhone ;)

2. cynics macrumors G3

3. Superbbrr macrumors member

It's amazing in this day and age, with all that top of the line hardware, they still can't get a smooth scrolling screen. :D

4. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Well for starters all those things you listed are not benefits of Android.

5. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

I love my iPhone but I'm not going to pretend like my iPhone doesn't have the occasional hiccup too. I prefer my iPhone but I'm not delusional enough to act like it's perfect. Our phone has flaws just like any other phone does.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You paid how much for a first gen GS2?
    AT&T is practically giving those away now.
    Samsung ditched the Exnyos SOC for a Qualcomm setup on the newer GS2 phones.
    The new version SGH-I727 (a.k.a. Skyrocket) has a 4.5" screen and a 1.5Ghz dual core Qualcomm SOC. Same setup as the Note.
    Kills the original GS2. And no screen lag. ;)
    Another cool feature of the I727, it works on both AT&T's LTE/HSPA+ and T-Mobile's HSPA+ networks. Pentaband radios are awesome.
    T-Mobile sells the exact same phone but they changed the model number to the SGH-T989 and disabled the LTE radio. Easily turned back on btw.

As for seeing the screen outside, turn off the auto brightness control... it sucks. I've have yet to see a phone with great auto brightness control... iPhone included.

7. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

AT&T charges more than what he paid if you buy off contract.

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Question: You said it was $320 on Craigslist, but you only paid $20?? I'm assuming you're selling to for 300?

9. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

I figured for $320 for an unsubsized phone that just came out in Sept/Oct that I had a cushion to sell it back easily on craigslist for no loss (ended up losing $20). Still a good deal though for an unsubsized phone less than 6 months old imo.

From the Xda forums the ATT note with the qualcomm chip has lag problems as well, even more so than the exnyos due to the qualcomm having a worse gpu? That was a main reason I went with the Galaxy S II for the processor to avoid any lag (or so I thought)

I didn't live in an LTE area so I didn't want the battery drain with the phone constantly looking for an LTE signal the way Verizon LTE phones get destroyed on battery life. Still was bad battery life though :(

I didn't know about the skyrocket having pentaband radio though. Thanks rjohnstone for the info... learn something new everyday :)

It was a night and day difference for me personally, I had both on 100% brightness while outside and the Galaxy S II was washed out for me personally. Not sure for everyone but the iPhones screen was definitely easier to read both brightness wise and pixilation wise.

I bought it for $320 and ended up selling it 30 min ago to a guy off craigslist for $300 ($20 loss, sorry for my confusing wording...)

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

He's shopping on the wrong sites... go over to XDA if you want to buy phones.
    Best deals on the planet for used phones.
    For an extra $30 he could have purchased a newer Skyrocket.

Craigslist blows.

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I found a guy on Craigslist that sold me a Skyrocket for $250 which is what AT&T charged with a 2 year contract at that time. But yeah most of the time Craigslist does blow.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I own a Skyrocket and I'm on XDA a lot... same username there as here.
    Never had any issue with lag on mine.

You can turn off/disable LTE to save battery if you're in an area without LTE coverage.
    Does require root access to do it, but that takes a whole whopping 30 seconds to do.

I have old eyes. The screen looks great to me. :p
    That was one of my issues with the iPhone... screens too darn small.
    Got headaches trying to read them.
    FYI... never put a SAMOLED display of any kind to 100% brightness. It gets washed out big time with that much back light.
    Between 25% and 40% seems to be the sweet spot for these types of displays.

My contract was up, so I qualified for the cheap upgrade.
    I went to Best Buy and between their price matching policy (something AT&T won't do) and the $50 Reward Zone credit I had, I got the phone for $80.
    Too good to pass up on.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To the OP,
    Sorry you didn't like it. At least you gave it a try, which is more than I think most Android bashers can say. Interestingly, I don't share your experience with lag on the SGS2. Still use an iPhone though for a lot of things myself. :)

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

It's the Java based OS. It will never be smooth, quad core, etc.

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My Atrix and Skyrocket say it can be smooth.

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Clunky like a square tire.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did we really require another troll thread on this topic? My only issue with Apple's sandbox is that they can remove developers or deny an app for any reason they wish. There isn't much neutrality there.

18. SurferMan, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

I own an 4S and AT&T GSII, and pretty much disagree, my answers in red. But sorry you didn't have a good experience with it, mines completely opposite of your experience. Both are great phones. With owning both I always look at it from both sides when seeing post like this. This is my first Android device too as didn't care for them before.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Google do exactly the same thing!

20. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

OP, maybe try a Windows Phone. They have most of the benefits you listed with smoothness and polish to rival iOS, with a unique and beautiful UI.

21. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

Def not a troll thread, I want Android, iOS, and WP7 to all succeed in order to keep each other honest which is better for all of us consumers... just wanted to let others know my experience with the Galaxy S II vs the iPhone and how Android didn't measure up at this very moment (although in the future this could change perhaps?)

I had a Nexus One for a long time and will probably try the Galaxy Note as well in the future (hopefully the Super AMOLED HD screen is better than the Super AMOLED PLUS).

Also another thing that bugged me about Android was the fact that the top browsers didn't seem to have something as simple as an ad-blocking option :(

Dolphin has an add-on but you have to scour the web for it and sideload it yourself + its out of date so alot of ads still show up anyways even if you get it.

For the iPhone you simply download Atomic Browser and flick ad-block to "on", simple :)

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This isn't anything new IMO. My friend recently got the Galaxy Nexus and it's just as cruddy as his Droid X. Slow, laggy, same "feel". Yeah it looks nicer when you aren't touching it and are just looking at the home screen or pics of it online, but when you get to actually using it ... SSDD

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The tablets suffer from this too...Laggy scrolling, pixeleated screens. I have nothing against Android, it's just not for me..A neighbour has a Iconia they he got for Christmas..Opinion FWIW? A nice device ruined by it's OS.

24. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

XDA? The forum?

25. charliecc macrumors regular

I have a Galaxy Nexus, obviously running ICS, and it's as smooth as iOS.