My Apple Horror Story [Resolved]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midgetsanchez, Jul 2, 2009.

1. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I'm going to keep this short and sweet. I'm a new Mac owner, just purchased a brand new 17" BTO, which I've owned for less than 6 days. Everything was working beautifully until about 3 days ago, when I noticed a few horizontal lines appear across the screen as I was watching a video. (this is on the 9400). I closed the lid and opened it again, and the lines were gone. I continued using the MBP normally.

Later on that night, the scan lines made a return suddenly as I was doing work, and the screen flickered and flashed before finally going black. I knew this wasn't supposed to happen.

The next day I called up Apple and told them about my problem. We went through a couple of steps such as resetting PRAM/etc. At this point the display was completely black and unusable. It would occasionally flash the desktop for a second before going out. We figured out that it was a display issue, and that the display cable or something similar was definitely loose or damaged(since the MBP output fine to an external monitor).

Anyway, the phone support rep told me to back everything up and take the unit to the Apple Store, and exchange it for a new one since I've barely owned this for a couple of days. He scheduled an appointment at the Genius Bar for July 2nd, which was 2 days later. I tried to get an earlier appointment but with no luck. I sucked it up and backed up my MBP.

So, July 2nd(Today) comes along. I took my MBP in the original box with all accessories to the Apple Store Genius Bar. After waiting almost half an hour, I finally had a Genius address my issue, only to be told that since my unit was BTO (I had a 7200 RPM drive selected), I had no choice but to mail it back to Apple. I explained to the Genius that I needed this laptop for business-related purposes and couldn't afford to waste any more time. He said he could get Apple to send me a new unit first, and then I could send back the defective MBP so I wouldn't be without a laptop for god-knows-how-long.

I drove back home, pissed that I wasted my time driving to the Apple store and waiting for my appointment, only to have them tell me they can't do anything. I called up the support line to initiate the RMA/etc, only to be told that unfortunately they can't mail me a new unit without me sending back the old one first. What?! So now I'd have to wait for my faulty unit to reach Apple and get checked out, then wait another week or so for a new unit from Shanghai?! Wtf?!

ON TOP OF THAT, I was told that the department that handles RMA's had taken off on an "early" vacation.

"What vacation?!", I asked.

"Sir, it's the 4th of July".

"NO IT'S NOT, IT'S JULY 2ND'"

"Well, I'm sorry but the department has taken off early and won't be available to assist you until Monday."

Great, just GREAT. Now I have to wait some more. This is absolutely ridiculous and I don't know what to do. I can't afford to go any longer without a fully functioning laptop. Should I call again on Monday and try to convince them to do a forward-RMA and send me a replacement unit first?

Before anyone begins flaming, I'd just like to say that I have the right to be pissed - I just bought a $2700 laptop, only to have it screw up in less than 4 days, and best of all, the downtime's interrupted some of my critical work, and now it looks like it's going to be 2 weeks before I get a new working MBP.

I'm already writing to Apple to express my dissatisfaction. They need better quality control and many users don't have time to waste and play games. As a first-time Mac owner, I'm not at all happy - I'm pretty sure I paid money for a computer that's actually supposed to WORK.

Anyway, just for wasting my time I think I'm going to ask Apple nicely for something as compensation. I think the 8GB RAM upgrade might be stretching it, but realistically what do you think I should ask for?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why do you feel the need to complain as though you're the only one who has ever had work interrupted by a computer failure?

3. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

Why? Because a computer isn't supposed to fail less than 4 days after buying it.

4. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

He has a right to complain. He's lost his computer for quite a while, costing him god knows how much money. And he had just bought the damn thing. Apple didn't make a good impression on him.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Apple. Hopefully it should be better soon. Do you still have your old PC kicking about that you could work on untill Apple shipps you a laptop?

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What happened sux, but I'd hardly say they f'd you over. ***** someone over involves malice and/or deceit.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Circumstantial based on the date of purchase/service.

$0 under AppleCare.

7. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

I do, and I'm currently using it. It's just about the hassle involved. A new computer should be fully functional right out of the box, instead of needing countless phone calls, trips to the Apple store, trips to the post office, and best of all, several days in-between without a Mac. I'm just pissed that I have to deal with all this after less than a week of owning it.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Well you could ask for free applecare or maybe a free iPod Touch (they are free right now if you can use the educational discount).

I don't understand why the Genius can't take a BTO machine as you discribed. There is nothing special about having the 7200rpm drive over the 5400rpm one. From the problem you described it has nothing to do with the drive. It is most likely a:

Video problem
    fix is one of the following:
    Loose or pinched cable
    display
    logic board

9. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I mean his work. He can't work, and that costs money.

10. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

sounds like the apple people are just doing their job, not screwing you over. they have a proper rma channel set up and it's not uncommon to have to return your unit before getting a replacement. plus, it's a holiday weekend; A LOT of companies are taking the entire week off or at least a few days. if your work is that important, i'd find a temporary computer rather than wait around for apple.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh! I see; that I understand. As long as a secondary computer exists, he should be able to make do until the replacement.

12. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

What annoys me the most is that the 7200 drive is BTO. Apple should stock these by default, they're not that much more expensive. Also, it doesn't take much skill for an apple Genius to simply swap the hard drives. I can do it myself. I kind of regret getting a BTO now only because it's made my life so much more difficult.

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I called them to complain about my 7200 RPM drive problem, and I spent maybe 3 hours on the phone with 4 different departments just to have them tell me that they would email me back after the case is escalated to the next level.

WTF???

Customer service is really lacking in my opinion.

If I have a problem with my brand new top-of-the-line computer, the least you could do is resolve the problem after three hours on the phone with completely useless service reps.

Just send me a new one and let me mail this one back. I don't see what the problem is.

14. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

EXACTLY. This is all I want.

I think asking for free Applecare once all this is over seems reasonable. I'm gonna give it a shot.

15. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

That sucks that your computer had issues. We all know it happens to even the best companies, obviously, but when it does happen it's still incredibly aggravating.

I understand why your upset about apple wanting you to send the unit back, but they're not screwing you over. They'd be fools to do it any other way. In all honesty, apple does it better than anyone else. All they want from you is proof you sent it. They don't wait for it it to arrive before shipping your replacement out. Just go & ship it (free of charge in the box they provide) and then call them with the shipping info. They'll send your new unit out immediately. It's actually very quick.

While it's a major hassle to have to replace a brand new unit, it happens, and I think apple is pretty fair in how they're handling it for you.

16. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Apple seems to be acting very odd. If you've only had it for 6-7 days as you say, then there should be absolutely no problem for them to give you a straight up exchange. Sure, the BTO does come into play here, but its nothing the store manager at any Apple store can't handle.

At my time working at Best Buy, you had 14 days to return a computer as long as you didn't physically damage it, and you had everything that was in the box. No questions asked, you could return it, exchange it, price-match to your hearts content.

Try speaking to a store manager, and while your at it fire off at email to Steve Jobs, I kid you not, that will probably be extremely helpful for your situation.

17. goMac macrumors 603

I dunno, I have July 2nd and 3rd off and I work in the tech industry...

Don't ever rely on one computer for your work. I don't care how much it cost. Even if it was a $10k laptop, all it would take is one cup of coffee and your work would be toast.

DOA laptops happen all the time, no matter how much it cost. The problem wouldn't have cropped up on the production line anyway, and the part was an NVidia part, which are known across the entire industry to have overheating issues...

To the above post: Apple Stores can't handle BTO exchanges. Even if they took the laptop, they don't have a BTO model to give back to him.

18. Tweak3D macrumors regular

just FYI, they do offer cross ship, i've used it when my mbp died... and then the replacement died 2 days later.... you have to front a credit card number and they will put a hold on the value of the new laptop until the old one is received, that is as good as you are going to get with any company.

19. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

these guys summed it up for me. i work in the computer industry and have to deal with RMA departments almost every day. from what i have seen of apple's customer service, they rank among the best out there. i think the two factors here that are making the process frustrating are 1. it is bto and 2. it is a holiday week

20. Tweak3D macrumors regular

its great advice lol. it saves you atmost 2-3 days while you are waiting for the box they send you to arrive to send out your current computer.

21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Definitely NOT screwing you over as you stated.

We all have computer problems. Yes, it sucks it happened early, but when you do a BTO Mac, it clearly states the return policy. This is why buying a standard unit and upgrading yourself is the method to go in the future.

I love Apple products, but the service is NOT all some brag up. I know this from being a previous Dell owner. Their service is AMAZING! Someone comes to your door, USUALLY THE SAME DAY!, to fix a broken computer. The service offered by Apple is cordial, but it's not convenient for those of us who are spending THOUSANDS of dollars on Macs!

Let's all remember, price drops will bring more problems and less support...

Happy Independence Day... take the next few days off... or get a backup computer (maybe a DELL)!

22. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Pat youself on the back :D:D LOL

Apple is not like your local car service centre or mechanic where they give you a "loaner" while servicing your vehicle. I wish Apple did.

When my PB 15 had the dreaded white spots display problem and brought it into the Apple authorised centre for them to change the display the turn around time quoted was 1 week. I could not afford to be without a machine for work reasons so I went and bought another machine (17") to keep working. And yes it was £2000+ more than I wanted to spend. But there you go. I needed a back up machine anyway. So what the hey, a quick way for Apple to double their sales. B*stards :D

23. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

sun microsystems is another company who has terrific on-site service like that =)

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Mac user just wanted to vent to an audience and feels better for it.

Computer will be replaced.

End of tale.

25. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to ask them about it when I call on monday. This makes me feel a lot better, as I won't have to endure over a week+ without a laptop.

And yeah, I had to vent but I just wish they would've told me that the store wouldn't be able to do exchanges for BTO units BEFORE making me an appointment 2 days in advance. I feel as though that entire step could've been avoided, as I basically entered the Apple store today, had them look at my laptop, then tell me there was nothing they could do about it and that I'd have to mail it in instead. I even asked if I could trade my BTO 7200RPM unit for a stock 5400 17" but they said no.

On another note, my display suddenly started working again. I tried but just can't get it to fail, but I still don't feel comfortable using it - I'm afraid it'll just fail again randomly when I least expect it(and require a repair, rather than a brand new replacement).