My Apple Refurb Arrived Today-WOW

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by docprego, Oct 14, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

I was looking for an inexpensive Mac for my son's room, he's 8. I was tracking an iMac G4 on eBay that ultimately ended at $330. One morning I checked Apple's refurb site and saw that they had 17" white iMac's for $699. For an extra $300 approximately I would get a 1 year warrantee, a modern Intel Core 2 Duo processor, double the hard drive space, and the complete package-the eBay iMac was missing the power cord, keyboard, and mouse. So I thought about it for an hour or so and that went back to check if any were available, of course they were gone. So I checked the next morning and there were none. I checked a 3rd morning and they were back. I quickly ordered one as I did not want to miss out again.

When I ordered it estimated my ship date as 5 days from the purchase date and then another 3-5 days for delivery. All told I was supposed to get it about 10 days to 2 weeks after it was ordered. It ended up being shipped the same day I ordered it and Fedex was estimating a 10/16 delivery date. Well it showed up on my doorstep today, a full 3 days ahead of Fedex's estimate and almost 7-10 days ahead of Apple's original estimate.

So the shipping was outstanding, how is the machine? Perfect. I cannot believe the condition it is in. When they refurbish a machine they must replace every imperfect piece with a new one. It looks absolutely brand new and the keyboard and mouse are obviously not refurbished, they are completely brand new. I am posting this from the new machine and I could not be happier, Apple refurb is an outstanding deal! I might even order a refurb mac pro now that I have seen what a bargain this is. On a side note the LCD quality is really awesome on this white iMac, wow just wow.

2. vtecyo macrumors newbie

good to hear that you happy with your refurb. i always have this and that kind of concerns regarding to the refurbs. i would like to hear it from from real life experience.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Refurbished computers come from different sources. A refurbished Mac could just be an old model that Apple didn't manage to sell (every time some new model comes out, Apple will do their post to sell off the previous model, but anything they can't sell will become refurbished). It could be a completely unopened box that someone bought, then changed their mind. Or Dad bought his son a MacBook for his birthday without asking Mum who also bought a MacBook - one will end up being sold as refurbished. So that kind of Mac would actually be brand new.

There will also be models that were sold, broke down in the first week, have been returned and fixed. As with everything in life things can go wrong. There have been people who got refurbished Macs that didn't work or were not in an acceptable state, but that can happen with a brand new Mac as well, and that is what warranty is for.

Any refurbished Mac must be one hundred percent working and complete, and it must be one hundred percent clean. The box is not original, and I think there could be cosmetic damage. On the other hand, you could get more than you paid for, like you could get more RAM or a bigger harddisk for free, if a custom-built Mac had been returned.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

My next Mac will definitely be a refurbished one! :D

Did you get one of the new aluminum keyboards? Or was is a new old one?

5. juanm macrumors 65816

Remember it's your son's computer, not yours!!! ;)

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I got the previous white one, although I love the new aluminum keyboard this one is certainly excellent as well.

8. blumoon macrumors member

Glad to hear of your experience. I check the refurb store every morning, I just can't decide on the white iMac or a new Alum one. The right deal will come along, I'm sure.
    So did your son get to use the new computer yet? :)

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The low-end 17" Core 2 makes a great starter Mac.

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

do you find that new product appears on the refurb page everyday? I thought they only update it (very) early on Tuesdays and Fridays.

11. juxtaposer macrumors regular

Seems to update every day, when I check late at night the list is empty - I'm guessing this is due to updates?

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Wow, nice buy!! Hope you (and your son...) enjoy the machine :D

13. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I'm posting from my refurb MB, and it is swell! Full warranty, and it (was ;) ) a clean machine. I've had it for almost a year, and the only problem I had was with third party memory I added in unmatched pairs...Can't blame Apple for that!

My Cinema display and shuffle are also refurbs. If you don't need the fastest/latest, it is definitely the best way to go!

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Congrats to you and your son. My daughter just got her first Mac (a pink refurb mini). She's 8 as well. Perfect machine for the little ones.

15. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

pink? :confused:

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Congrats on your purchase.

My sister was looking for a macbook on ebay, and people were still wanting around 1000 for their 15" g4s. I told her she could get a refurbished 13" c2d for the same price plus a one year warranty-and a free printer and a free ipod (student deal thing).
    She hasn´t had any problem and loves it. Personally I have no qualms buying refurbished because it has a one year warranty just like the new ones minus several hundred dollars. I also trust Apple to stand behind their machines.

17. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Did that go through for her? I was under the impression that refurbs were not qualified for the freebies (either printer or ipod).

neat. I have a 7 month old daughter, and I'm looking forward to her never knowing what .dll or registry error means.

18. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, it went through. She actually called me up to tell me/ask me about it because I didn´t think it would apply either.

19. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Now THAT'S customer service!

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is good news but a small bit of advice on the ebay bullet you dodged.
    A computer that is missing the main pieces (power, keyboard, mouse) is most likely not a computer you ever want to own. I don't want to imply it being stolen, but I would venture to guess that it could have been. Also $300 is a small price to pay extra in order to know where your computer came from.

Good luck with that machine. :)

21. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

It's the next morning and I still could not be more happy! I am discovering a LOT of cool things about the Mac OS even though I am not a newbie. I have never had the need for user accounts on my previous Macs because I was the only user. Now I have an account for myself, my wife and my son. It is incredible how well OS X handles multiple accounts. On Windows XP this was a constant nightmare for me. I love the fast user switching too, how cool when the screen rotates!

I absolutely love this machine.

22. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, that´s the major turn off for me about XP. It's frustrating that it ends up easier just using the admin account as the main account and thus opening yourself up to all the viruses more easily.

Glad to hear your still love it after one day;)

23. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Nice work and congrats on getting a superb machine. The C2D iMac is in a completely different league to the old G4 you were tracking. :)

24. mstrmac macrumors member

mstrmac

More than a week old thread but i had to post how happy i am after 24 hours of owning this cd2 white refurb iMac. Looks new, smells new and is absolutely fabulous. Everything just works. A 40 min software update, personal configurations and the 9 year old Hp 670c deskjet Printer drivers found inside, it just works and i'm off.
    After 8.5 years with this 233mhz bondi blue rev.b iMac its like a 50 year future time machine upgrade. I am very happy with it and if it last as long and is supported somewhat 8 years from now it will look relitively current in design. Thanks :apple: