My battery above 50% at bedtime: what are you all doing?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, May 2, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

After the initial thrill I use my watch little more than I've used any watch. Obviously I get notifications and look at them and I look at glances to see what's going on with the weather and my activity.

What are you all doing with your watch that causes the battery to go below 50%?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I workout a LOT and the HR monitoring drains the battery much faster.

3. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

Today my 90 minute workout using the HR monitor drained the battery 20%. I end the night at about 10% regularly.

4. Mapple86 macrumors regular

And are you using the 38 or 42mm?

5. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

42mm

It's 8:52pm here. I took the watch off the charger at about 10:30am. I have 75% battery left.

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I went on a 32km bike ride twice in the past two days and noticed that when exercising, the battery really drains quickly. On normal, less active days, I am well above 50% at bed time.

7. Mapple86 macrumors regular

42mm too?

8. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

Do you use any apps? Workout? Messaging via siri? Just looking at notifications doesn't drain the battery very fast.

9. Fredo C macrumors member

On day 1 after 22 hours I had 35% left (this included a 30 min workout and 10 min phone call). So far today after 12 hrs I have 75% left (no workout today). This is on a 42mm. I'm pretty damn impressed.

I agree with the OP, my interactions are quick. Some texts, checking game scores, of course checking the time every now and then. If used like this battery life will absolutely not be a problem, which is the whole point.

10. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Nothing unfortunately. My wat h won't be here until June 2022.

11. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I turned off the Hey Siri feature, and it seemed to increase the battery life, I get about 30-40% at bedtime now as opposed to 10-20%.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

11pm right now where I life. My watch is at 51%. I always sleep wit the watch and charge it the morning while showering and breakfast.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Putting watch on 3 hours earlier, talking on phone, answer texts, listening to voice mails, using Maps, working out for an hour, etc. I typically take the watch off between 11pm and midnight, usually have about 25-35% battery left.

14. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Yea, 42mm stainless steel

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not a bad idea. How long does it take you to charge?

I've been thinking about this, but I like putting my watch on first thing so it will start tracking my steps and counting my stand up time.

16. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

My typical day seems to leave me with 25-30% at the end of the day. Plenty enough for me to not feel conscious of battery drain throughout the day.

17. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I'm guessing OP doesn't workout. But I still typically have 30% remaining.

18. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

That's probably your main difference there. The time you take the watch off the charger.

My watch is off the charger as soon as I wake up (around 5:00-6:00am). After my workout, I find that it drains around 15% of my battery so it's already at 85% by 7am.

The usual use during the day (notifications, occasional call, weather, stocks etc) and then off the charger when I go to sleep at around 11:30pm. I find that my battery is usually at 40-50%.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

20. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

This has to be the only advantage to being lazy. "I get to sleep wearing my Watch now!!"

Yep...I end the day with about 60%. 42SSBSB

21. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Put my 42mm watch on at around 8am yesterday morning, with maximum brightness and full power taptic (not prominent)

I used my watch today to check Forza for the premiership scores, took one 20 min phone call (hurt my arm in the process), browsed BBC news and FlipBoard while waiting for the GF to come out of the H&M changing room, received and read about 30ish emails, replied to about 10 texts, demoed Siri for a few people in the Apple Store, checked instagram god knows how many times and lastly had the exercise outdoor walk running for around 2 hours.

It's now 12.25am and I have 61% remaining.

I just can't seem to kill this thing. I've only ever seen power reserve mode by forcing it on just to see what it looked like.

22. Sarahheartie macrumors newbie

ok so Friday was basically my first full day of using the Apple watch, from 9am until night (about 11pm) and I used it somewhat often throughout the day, as I would probably on a normal day, with the odd checking notifications and frequently checking time. Had a somewhat active day, ultimately logging 20k steps/1172 calories (see pics).

So today (saturday) I worked, which is in retail/customer service where I would normally not carry a phone, so I just wore my watch but on airplane mode/do not disturb/silent mode, just checking the time once in awhile. I thought that having the watch disconnected from the phone and supposedly doing nothing but checking time and tracking my activity the battery would last, especially compared to friday when it was connected to the phone and being used? But by the end of my 8hour shift I only had about 20% left!! And activity just logged like 300cal/5k steps.

So any Ideas on what might have caused the battery to drain so fast when the watch wasn't even being used or connected to iPhone? Any apps or something that may be running in the background taking up battery? I'm very confused right now haha. Also I know there is a battery reserve feature, but I do wish to continue tracking my activity while i'm working, and if I understand correctly battery/power reserve function would not track any activity?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attached Files:

23. Geckoking macrumors member

I have both watches a 38mm and a 42mm sport.
    I can tell you that the 42mm does last longer.
    I take it off the charger at about 6am and by 10pm i have about 35-40% left on the 42mm while the 38mm i have about 20-25%

To save battery set brightness to lowest
    Turn off wrist on.
    Turn off "hey Siri"
    take maps off glances
    take hear rate off glances

close apps that you think might be sucking battery by holding the side button till power menu pops up, then press and hold again till app closes.

24. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Workout app seems to suck up lot of juice. I run around an hour a day.

Also navigation.

25. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

what is the battery difference between the 38 and 42 mm