Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
No issues with my black 64 GB iPhone 5. Honestly people complain more online than compliment. You won't see that many people coming online to say good things about their phone because they have no problems. People who had problems like to vent an it appears to the public that there are a lot of issues.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My iPhone 5 (32GB black) is doing very well too. It was damage free right out of the box and still looks the same as day one. The back brushed up against the pocket rivets of my jeans a couple of times and there's not a mark to show for it. I'm very happy. :)
For two _decades_ I used to enjoy the purchase experience you've had.

It was one of three primary reasons I became an extremely loyal Mac owner & frequent buyer. Upgrading to their newest laptop each year for both work & pleasure. Having spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on Apple computers, peripherals & accessories it was a wonderful experience. One I have no regrets over.

The challenge of today's Apple experience is largely noticed by the millions of others like myself, that are used to impeccable quality. It would be very refreshing to no longer have to share & report Apples decline in the various areas that it exists. Yet I do understand the compromises Apple has elected to make even if I disagree with them.

As highly profitable as Apple is... Quality should never be secondary.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I am curious, or maybe just confused. It looks like you have a hybrid of the black and white model. Did I miss something? Did you remove the paint from the chamfers and the back? It looks good, but Apple doesn't offer any model that looks like that.

Monssef

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
Bedtbuy had one in display. Checked it out very closely and didn't find one nick in the black version. Even after so many hands uncarefully playing with it.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Bedtbuy had one in display. Checked it out very closely and didn't find one nick in the black version. Even after so many hands uncarefully playing with it.
You should see the display units at the 5th Ave store! Those are horrendous! Even the white ones look so dented and scratched that the aluminum feels like plastic imitating aluminum.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Do scratches upset everyone that much? As long as I don't scratch the screen or the camera lens I don't care so much about the back and sides. I put a huge scratch on the back of my MBP shortly after buying it. At first I was bummed but then I realized it has no bearing on how well the computer works. Just another battle scar.

If you're trying to keep it pristine so you can re-sell next year I understand.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
lol at the too risky comments

we are talking about a phone here not your health

rocking my black i5 naked too, as I have with all of my previous phones/smartphones

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Just wait until you drop it.

I've dropped mine once on wood and my kid dragged it around by the headphones and its still perfect. In my case, the coating is more durable than than I would have expected. I'm now beyond the babying phase and just enjoy it and use it.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
For two _decades_ I used to enjoy the purchase experience you've had.

It was one of three primary reasons I became an extremely loyal Mac owner & frequent buyer. Upgrading to their newest laptop each year for both work & pleasure. Having spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on Apple computers, peripherals & accessories it was a wonderful experience. One I have no regrets over.

The challenge of today's Apple experience is largely noticed by the millions of others like myself, that are used to impeccable quality. It would be very refreshing to no longer have to share & report Apples decline in the various areas that it exists. Yet I do understand the compromises Apple has elected to make even if I disagree with them.

As highly profitable as Apple is... Quality should never be secondary.

I agree with what you said. I've been a Mac user for 10 years and notice the slip in quality control, and in some cases, fit and finish. I got lucky with my phone.

That's speaks to what you're talking about. Back in the "good old days" you didn't have to worry about getting lucky with a perfectly functioning device. It was rare to have something go wrong. I feel like Apple is spread too thin. They try to do too many things and corners get cut. It's a shame. I'm not sure it has to be like this but for what ever reason, it is.

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
2 days into owning my Black 32GB.

No case, just a screen protector on the frond and back (Back one was only applied this morning as I noticed I kept accidentally sliding it along my desk now and then).

Did a damage check an hour ago - nothing. No marks, wear, scratches, scuffs or dings.

Woo!

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Another perfectly fine one here, been rocking it naked for a week and its perfect, no other way to describe it:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 199
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.