Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I have four iCloud machines: MacBook 2010, iPhone, iPad, and MacBook 2015.
All have the latest system

Bookmarks all sync on the MacBook 2010, iphone and iPad, but not the MacBook 2015, which never reflects changes in the other three (and changes made on the MacBook 2015 are not reflected on the other 3)

I've tried unclicking the safari box on iCloud prefs, waiting while, then turning on, but no luck.

Contacts and mail sync, no problem, but not bookmarks. What should I do?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Try signing into your account on iCloud, go to settings, and under "Advanced" select "Restore Bookmarks". That might get them syncing again.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Try signing into your account on iCloud, go to settings, and under "Advanced" select "Restore Bookmarks". That might get them syncing again.
Thanks. I went to the iCloud web page, if that is what you mean, and selected Restore Bookmarks in the Advanced choices. But all I get is a list of deleted bookmarks and the option to restore them. I don't want to restore them, and I'm afraid it had no effect on the bookmarks on my MacBook.

Last edited:

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I was advised to remove bookmarks.plist from the library folder. However, I am unable to remove it. When I try to drag it to the desktop, it won't move.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You can't delete the bookmarks.plist (Library->Safari->bookmarks.plist) because it's locked. Try signing out of iCloud from all your devices and then sign back in. Maybe that will get the syncing process going again.

Ilfracombe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
You can't delete the bookmarks.plist (Library->Safari->bookmarks.plist) because it's locked. Try signing out of iCloud from all your devices and then sign back in. Maybe that will get the syncing process going again.

I was able to drag bookmarks.plist to the desktop when Safari was open. That's different behaviour from what I remember. Anyway, it didn't make any difference.
Had a chat session with Apple this evening. WE did everything we could think of, but couldn't get the bookmarks to sync on this one machine. And now it won't sync contacts either. Conclusion was that there is something that is locking iCloud out on that one machine. Well, I knew that. (Although iCloud drive is syncing nicely)
It's been escalated to someone who knows what they are doing, and I'll report back,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.