My Brother threw my mac at me...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nucksfan, Nov 18, 2011.

1. nucksfan macrumors newbie

This is what happened.. How much do you think this will cost to repair, because its either a repair or hes buying me a new one. I have noticed a bit of a slow down on performance in the last couple days and I'm guessing its from the hard drive being jostled but I'm not sure.

Attached Files:

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

That's painful to look at. Why did he throw it at you?

3. GTANJ macrumors member

4. nucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

He was annoyed and it was within reach, he just tossed it kinda but I was 3m away and wasn't expecting it and kinda knocked it to the concrete ground.... :(

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Nucksfan? As in Vancouver?

Didn't they lose against Chicago the other night?

6. nucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, ya.. I'm a pretty big Canucks fan though that was not why he threw it lol.
    btw I don't live near an apple store so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how much these repairs cost.
    Thanks

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I don't know what they could do with it, it needs new casing, but if you aren't bothered about the casing being horibly deformed then i guess they could have a go at fixing you internals, but I mean, you really can't be happy about the damage to the body.
    I think you need a new one if you wanna sort out the casing.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Ouch.

At a minimum, you'll need a new display (they're replaced as a complete unit), a top case (possibly bottom - it's a bit hard to see if it's damaged), and a new hard drive (I wouldn't trust it, and given it's probably the cheapest part, there's no reason not to replaced it).

I'm going to take a very wild guess: $700 for display, $200-300 for case parts, and max $100 for HD - plus a couple hrs labor. Ballpark SWAG: $1000-$1400.

If you or someone you know are experienced with notebook repair, you could save quite a bit by buying parts from eBay, or other sources (ifixit perhaps).

At that price, you could easily be talking about just replacing the machine. If it's functional, you could get by with just replacing the HDD, then think about if you want to invest more into repairing the display and case.

9. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Don't forget the cost of anger management classes for your brother.

10. nucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch thanks for the reply, ya i think the whole things needs a fix as there is a slight curve to the bottom now from impact. I guess he'll be getting me a new mac.

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

suppose thats a positive for you, a shiny new MacBook.

Seriously though, who throws a mac at someone??

12. nucksfan thread starter macrumors newbie

an idiot.. I guess so, though I did only get this one in March, but oh well. Is it hard to transfer windows on boot camp and in parallels to a new mac? I don't need to keep the data as I don't use it for much but games and the occasion program, just the windows 7 part as I only had a 1 license upgrade?

13. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Repair? Haha, It looks like it's toast to me. Make him buy you another one :)

FYI... Frisbees are better for throwing (Cheaper too) ;)

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

That's one tortured MacBook. :/

On the plus side, it should be worth some coin even in its condition. So you could sell it and earn some cash (or be really nice and sell it, and give your brother the money to offset his buying you a new one. It's the good-brother thing to do).

Or you can keep it and run it as a media/print/file server or home theatre box... lots of possibilities for a mutilated by functional Mac! :D

15. visim91 macrumors 6502

MacBook to iPhone (in dock): "You should see the other guy..."

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Damn... I don't think I've ever seen one take that kind of warping even when dropped :(. Those cases are quite expensive. The display would have to be replaced. Internals would probably need to be checked for possible damage. Repair may approach the cost of replacement.

If you do get a new one and want to do something with that one beyond just sending it on for recycling or seeking salvage value on ebay, you might be able to disassemble the machine and pound the case somewhat toward its original shape. That display looks pretty bent though :(.

17. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I agree, there's no point in getting at it repaired. The costs is prolly gonna be about as much as a new MBP, i think the best option is to sell it on ebay for parts and get as much as u can and give it to your brother so he can get u a new MBP.

18. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

LOLOLOL! hey! shadddup =p

nah im a canucks fan but toews is my fav player...

op: man that sucks...

19. simply amazing macrumors member

damn im sorry to see that. brother's an android fanboy huh?

20. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

You know what, I'm sure I've seen these pictures before on this forum. I remember the ethernet port being warped in exactly the same way and even the gist of the advice given, which went along the lines of, "If it still works, and you don't use ethernet, then you could keep it."

Somebody even mentioned selling it on eBay, just as somebody above has.

I may be wrong, but as I say, I'm sure I've seen this before.

21. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I think you are referring to this thread. It looks identical in the way that these computers absorbed the impact.

22. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

AAHHHHHHHH MMMMMMMMAAAAAAA GGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAA. Just had to do that, but that sucks...looks like a sad laptop to anyone, PC or Mac user. :(

23. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

It would be easier to just sell it as is and then take the money and buy a new one. It should still fetch a decent amount..

24. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

Thank you! :)

I knew I'd seen something very similar before.

25. aCondor macrumors 6502

FIFY:
    That really hurt! Who throws a shoe? Honestly?

Bonus points if you can guess the movie without Google's help.