My Budget Gaming PC Build Plan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rob587, May 11, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

That looks like a pretty decent build.

I'm not going to go into specifics, but in general AMD processors with ATI graphics provides better bang for buck than Intel. Intel owns the high end, but on a budget gaming desktop AMD is better bang for buck.

Don't forget the operating system.

2. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Yea, I really considered AMD. I even configured a few setups, but the price difference just wasnt that much comparatively. I also feel like Intel is really pushing ahead of AMD and will continue to have better stuff for the next few years, so even the minimal price difference will be made up for by upgradability.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not get that cheap POS PSU unit. You are risking a lot of costly stuff on a cheap 20 buck part.

Cheap PSU have a lot of problems. They may be able to crank out that wattage for a short amount of time but can not stay at max watage very long and the other problem is cheap PSU units can not ramp up power demands very well so when your processor power spike the PSU will not supply the need power quick enough so things lag a little. A CPU at ideal uses a lot less power than one at full load.

That PSU is worthless for any upgrades later on. I would get a good name brand PSU and spend the extra cash on it. I would trust my 6 year old Antec 430W true power before I trusted the peace of crap you choose.

Go name brand on the PSU. Max wattages does not matter much. What really matters are your amp ratings on the rails. Your 12v rails being the most important as now CPU pull power off the 12 vote rail. Most good PSU have dual 12v rails. One for the CPU and one to run everything else.

Your biggest power demands are your cpu and graphic card.

4. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Ive thought about that too, but I just cant justify spending $60 more for a box that does the same thing. Its like buying insurance cuz its crappy and will probably break if you dont get a good one. But id rather just take the risk and maybe replace it in the future if it goes bad. Is it wrong to think this way?

5. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Don't forget windows, that's an extra $100 at least.:rolleyes:

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

already have it, if ya know what I mean ;)

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You forget about one thing. When a PSU goes bad it often will take out the entire system in one go. You are risking the entire system on that POS.
    I would spend the extra money and get a better PSU like this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

It less total watts but should cover your needs by far better and is much safer. The one area you really are cutting corners in an area that should never be cut. I just saying go with a name brand PSU. Because you do get what you pay for. Hell the one I link you 2 would be a break even when your first PSU goes bad.

Like I said my 6 year old computer is running on an Antec true power 430W. It is not like your system is going to pull enough power to over run a 430W PSU that I link you 2.

Come on be legal about it. It people like you who force us honest people to deal with activation.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I agree on the get a better PSU. You are throwing $20 in the toilet with the one you are buying., especially since you are already pirating Windows you might as well put the money elsewhere.

I also despise Lite-On drives but thats just me.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't skimp on the PSU man. That thing could take out your other components no problem. I saw a PSU with a faulty rail take out a mobo....

Spend the extra $60 man.....

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

hey hey you are not the only person who thinks little of lit-on drives. I think they are cheap piece of crap but they do tend to do their job. In my tower my Lite-On DVD drive failed at about 3 years. You get what you pay for.
    I cut the corner when I built my computer there because I was also buying NEC burner so it the Lite-On drive was just my 2nd optical that I paid 20 bucks for.

11. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Pretty much wear im at now.. why, do you have some suggestions?

I never said I was pirating Windows...

And I guess I just need to man up and spend a little more on the PSU. Seems to be the general consensus. I know name brands play a big role in certain areas, I just cant believe that these PSU's are just 100% guaranteed to cause problems unless you get a popular one.

12. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Its really quite a bit more than I wanted to spend... anyone see any places to cut some money that wont hurt my gaming experience too bad and I can easily upgrade in the future?

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Slower RAM? If an extra $30 is "really quite a bit more" than you wanted to spend, maybe you should just save up some more before you buy it all.

14. Chuushajou macrumors regular

I would honestly recommend going with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, its Bang per buck ratio is amazing! and easily out preforms the C2D seeing as it is quad core.

15. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Obviously $30 isnt a great deal more... but the total $567 is a lot more than I initially started thinking about. It just kept stretching and stretching. So the $30 is just an extension of an extension. But I think it's all good now. I just dont want to spend a cent more.

lol woahh there... your way off with that one. that like $181 and im spending like $100 on this Intel.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not save up some more and then dump the C2D cpu and get an i5/i7.

I priced one out for under a 1,000 bucks. I think that would give you the best bang for your buck.

I'd hate to spend any sort of money on a C2D machine at this point

Just my $.02

17. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Cuz right now im gaming with the mbp in my sig... needless to say, it aint really holding up.

Speaking of which, you guys wouldnt happen to know why my ping in games is so high right now would you? Could it be because of my mbp? I thought it was only based on your connection but I did a speed test and it puts my ping at like 61 and my downloading mb's at 11 on average. and im plugged in directly through ethernet... Whats the deal?

P.S. I have my mbp plugged into an external 20" dell

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So what makes you think a C2D desktop will? Sure you'll get a faster GPU but that's just about it.

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Your ping is a measure of internet latency only. Perhaps the servers you are connecting to are having problems, or some router along the way is having trouble.

20. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Do not get ANY gpu if its memory is only DDR3. Get GDDR3 or better yet GDDR5.

21. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Well, ill actually be going from a dual 2.4ghz to a dual 2.9ghz with 3mb of L2 cache. And 2GB of 667mhz DDR2 ram to 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 ram. And my crappy 256mb GPU to 1GB PCI Expresss.

I will also be able to easily overclock. So id say thats a pretty substantial upgrade and your substantially crazy for thinking otherwise.

Well everyone else in the games seem to have low pings.. im always like 3rd to the highest. It doesnt make sense. My isp is good, im directly connected to the router through ethernet. Any other ideas?

22. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Can you elaborate or suggest one that is about the same cost as the one ive selected? Seems to be a lot of theoretical debate between ddr and gddr that I dont really understand.