My case for why the 4.7 inch is better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Batman89, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Batman89 macrumors 6502

I managed to pre-order my 4.7 inch from Verizon, as their site went live for pre-orders around 11:55pm PST.

I had the opportunity to order the Plus at that moment also, but I had already made up my mind for the 6.

Yes, the Plus is thinner, narrower than the Note, but it is taller. Being an Apple loyal since the iPhone 4, I suddenly had a choice and when unsure where to go to help make my decision, I went to people that had had choice for years: my friends and family who use Android phones; specifically Samsung.

I have two friends who have the Note. One returned it a week later and the other is looking forward to getting the Galaxy 5. Yes the bigger screen is gorgeous, but it wasn't "practical" for them. Yes it fit in their pockets (barely, and a little uncomfortable when walking) and yes the two-handed use was fine, but part of a smartphone is the great portability of it. While the Note was portable, from their point of view, it was better go to with an S4/S5 as a smartphone.

I printed out size samples of the phones, and they were right. On video the Plus looks gorgeous, but I would put the cutout and lean it on my MacBook Pro screen, and wow, it's just humungous. The 6, on the other hand, is a perfect size for a smartphone, thin, light, and won't be bulky, tiresome, or unnecessarily cumbersome for the more mundane tasks of smartphones, such as texting and making calls.

Now, granted, everyone has different tastes and different uses for their phones. However, the fact that the Plus sold out so quickly is a byproduct of us (Apple fans) that have no idea just how big this thing is. Obviously here on MacRumors we compare it to the Note, we have cutouts, but there are more who simply saw "bigger screen," "longer battery," "more features (landscape)," and jumped on it.

I think there will be a lot of returns of the Plus because as Apple fans, the biggest phone we've had has been 4 inches. And the fact that there will be a ton of returns for the Plus, and not so much for the 6, shows that the 6 is the better choice.

It will be a hard learning-curve for us Apple users who never really had even a "big" smartphone and immediately jumped on for a phablet. The 6+ is for a niche market, just like the Note is for Samsung fans. The Galaxy series is still the go-to for them, and I think once people see how big the Plus really is, on a daily basis with daily use, the 6 will be recognized as the go-to Apple smartphone. And next year with the 6S and the 6S+, I predict the 6 will sell-out similar to how the 6Plus sold yesterday, once we Apple users truly understand what a phablet is.

I'm not crazy, just a little ahead of the curve :)

2. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Ok...great, get the 4.7 then. Not sure why this needs validation. Get whatever you'd like, others will get what they prefer. Did not read the original post though. :apple:

3. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

The Note was my favorite android phone I have owned. So happy Apple is doing an iPhone that is close to the same size.

5. DelMac macrumors regular

Thanks for posting your blog entry here. You've convinced no one though.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It isn't better for people who like the phablet experience, but not everyone (including myself) is interested in having a phablet and there's no need to rationalize and justify your purchase.

7. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I did and you're not missing out on much. It's the typical "My friends and I don't like it, so no one else should either" post.

8. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

9. mac.cali macrumors 65816

LOL. Ok, thanks. Honestly it seems like a reassurance post to make you feel better in your selection. What you like is not what someone else likes. That's why we now have choices.

10. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This shows the level of immaturity of this forum.

12. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

tl;dr

But anyways, get what you want and let others get what they consider better.

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Are you expecting better? If you are I would lower your expectations. Thinks can get a bit strange around a launch of new products.

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I had the Note 3, went to the S5 instead.

I rather use my tablet for movies/video and games versus a phablet and that is what I did anyway when I had the Note.

The 6 Plus will be culture shock to iPhone users who for years made due with the smaller display. I obviously do not know the percentage of returns but I would not be surprised if it is more than folks would of guessed.

Been there, done that and lesson learned. We will see how others make out.

15. Batman89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL so much defensiveness and dismissiveness in this forum. Nothing new. I remember the reaction when the iPhone 4 was leaked, and the reaction when it was announced. Consistency is not observed here :)

My point is this: The phone that is sold out and sought-after the most is the inferior one.

And much like the iPhone 4 example, public opinion on this forum will recognize that in due time.

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So the 5s was inferior to the 5c?

17. Ayr macrumors 6502

tl;dr

something irrational, an unchecked inferiority complex and a lack of self-awareness

18. Roller macrumors 68020

I think that it's great that we now have a range of sizes to choose from. Personally, I'm waiting to hold the 6 and 6 Plus in my hands before deciding which one to get or stick with my 5s. I tried the cut outs but they didn't cut it. :)

19. Batman89 thread starter macrumors 6502

No.

Where you pulled this from is a mystery.

And then again, not so much of a mystery.

20. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

Not sure how you can claim something that hasn't happened as fact. Also, you may want to consider that the amount of demand for the 6+ includes people that Apple has taken from "would be" Samsung Note or other large screen smartphone users.

21. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Your last post

22. Batman89 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Plus isn't an inferior phone because it is sold out and sought-after, the reasons I gave for this are in my OP. At no point was that even implied as the reason.

You're comparing apples to Apple.

23. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Sure, the 6 Plus might be taller, but that is only because of the huge top bezel. The top of the screen ends at the same place as that of a Note 4. And for one handed operation, how far away the top of the screen is is more important than how high the top bezel goes. Plus, because its not as wide, it will be easier to use than the Note 4. Many individuals attending the event have already said in their hands on that it is much easier to use and hold than a Note 4.

[​IMG]

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, the maturity of this forum tanked quite a while ago with "Cool story bro" posters when the iPhone started to become subsidized. I'm just calling them on it :cool:

25. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I also got the 4,7", but who cares which one is inferior? I don't believe there is such thing. There are people that like the phablet experience, and other who like a properly sized smartphone, with big enough display.
    I also feel that the Plus is too big, but others apparently don't. Let them have their fun. I am sure there will be many more returns of the Plus model, just because many people do not realize how big it is. Even if that happens, it wouldn't mean that the Plus is inferior. Both iPhones are great.

I like that Apple didn't make the 4,7" inferior in a way the Android makers handle their own "compact" versions. The 4,7" iPhone is as good as the Plus, with the exception of OIS. The screen resolution is great on both iPhones, and the 70PPI more of the Plus, do not make a difference in real life, at least not for most people.
    Anyway, I think people should just get what they like and stop discussions like this one. I prefer the 4,7" iPhone. Others prefer the Plus. I am fine with that and I don't care about anything else.