My feeling - no-one will receive watch on release date

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacMan07, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MacMan07 macrumors member

I've been reading a lot of posts where it is assumed that because Apple normally under-promise and over-deliver on their shipping estimates, that there is a strong possibility for launch day delivery for those in the "24/4 - 8/5" timeframe.

I hope I'm wrong but my view on this is pessimistic.

My feeling is that the first delivery of these watches will be at the later end of the "24/4 - 8/5" timeframe and in fact, no-one (or an extremely limited number of people) will receive their watch before the end of April. In is my impression that Apple have realised against all hope that, in the time since announcing the 24 April date, this date is impossible to meet.

When you think about it, when has an Apple product scheduled for release on a certain date never had this date as the delivery estimate for the first pre-orders?

If the first pre-orders had been given a formal delivery date later than 24/4, they would have left themselves open to accusation of false advertising of the release date. If you were able to walk into a retail store and purchase a watch on launch day, then they would have been covered. However, clearly this has been impossible for them to offer.

They therefore have 2 alternatives - announce formally that the launch is actually delayed by a week or 2 and leave themselves open to criticism in the press OR take the softer approach... have it that devices START shipping on 24 Apr and, if questioned, can argue that release was "technically" 24 Apr.

As has been frequently commented on these forums, as time has moved on since the Watch announcement in September, Apple began to change tact in their promotional pages for the Watch from "early 2015" to simply "2015". Again, as was commented, many judged this to be mean that Apple were perhaps less confident of meeting production targets for the watch.

Then, as time moved on, Apple seemed to adopt a seemingly haphazard release strategy (when compared with previous lanuches) - a second release announcement 6 months after the first that didn't offer really any new information beyond pricing, announce pre-orders to begin 1 month after this, then have the actual release 2 weeks later... a launch which now also seems to be all over the place.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but the vibes given by Apple seem to indicate that they are struggling to meet their own internal targets for roll-out of this product and are having to back-pedal.

2. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

If you're right there will be rioting in the streets.

I know. I'll be starting the riots.

3. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

There's clearly doubt on Apple's part for them to give people a 2 week window, I believe that some will recieve their watch on launch day but I don't think everyone with these dates will. So I'm being pessimistic with mine.

4. rolexwatch macrumors regular

I don't agree. There will be instore pickups beginning with the 25th of April. They made clear that ordering online is the way to stand in line. They mean the 24th, since there will be no stock in the stores then.

5. MacMan07 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I mean... from the information available so far, there is a absolutely no method to be sure of a watch in hand on the 24 Apr.

6. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I thunk we'll see a bunch of deliveries on the 24th. What kind of media coverage would Apple get if on launch day nobody had a watch???

8. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

My local store (UK) has confirmed there will be no Apple watch stock in store in the weeks after launch. It will online sales only for the first while (I take that to mean at least the first couple of months)

9. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I kind of agree with the op. I'd feel much better if it said 4/24 delivery like every other time. The way things have been going, hopefully we even get the watches before 5/8...

10. rolexwatch macrumors regular

Yes, but shipping dates jumped quickly to june, like in the first 5 minutes. That was to make sure, that the initial batch will be enough for the early preorders. Also consider that they already have produced 2 million watches according to analysts. Now they have another 2 weeks to produce even more.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

As I recall Apple always gives shipping windows with online orders, because they can't guarantee that the shipping company will be able to deliver to every single person everywhere on the same day.

12. rolexwatch macrumors regular

They probably meant walkins, but reserve and pickup will be available online. Also they don't know more than we do.

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

How would the media know that nobody got their watch on the 24th?

14. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

They'll be looking for people who have got them. It'll be a news story.

15. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

They will ship some for the 24th launch, but probably not all the watches in the first window. I am guessing that shipment dates will start updating this week or early next, and the shipments will begin to fragment.

16. MacMan07 thread starter macrumors member

Even the very first people to pre-order got the "24/4 - 8/5" timeframe for delivery. This backs up my feeling that no member of the general public have a watch in hand on 24 Apr.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Fixed for you. Assumptions are bad.

18. MacMan07 thread starter macrumors member

Let's be honest... if people had a fixed 24 Apr date, we would have heard it on this forum.

19. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Actually, I don't think that's true. IIRC, and who knows about that ;) , with the iPhone you always know if you have a release day delivery date. The later dates may be a little wishy-washy. And they deliver a whole lot more (again, IIRC) iPhones on opening day that they are planning on AWs. I might have some of those old email laying around. But I don't care enough to look for them. I agree with the OP. If for no other reason than to manage expectations and not be overly disappointed. Hoping to be wrong, however! :eek:

20. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

One guy claimed he had. But he's been silent every since.

21. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Probably, but not 100% guaranteed.

22. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

You really think someone outside macrumors pre-ordered the watch and got a delivery notice of 24/4? I doubt any order existing with a strictly 24/4 only date

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

well the rMB launch has not gone as planned either. I do not think anyone thought available 4/10 really meant available to preorder basically.

That launch makes me doubt this launch.

24. iamphill macrumors newbie

Just looked back on my emails, last Apple product I pre-ordered was iPad air and the email says 'Delivery: 05 Nov, 2013 - 07 Nov, 2013 by Standard Shipping'

25. technosix macrumors 6502a

Because their is a lot of media people that are Apple devotees, just another reason Apple always get such glowing reviews.