My Fight w/ AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kkachurak, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkachurak macrumors regular

Prepare yourselves for a long one, ladies n' gents:

So - we all know about the upgrade eligibility debacle. At first, I believe I would be able to buy a 16GB 3G S for $199. Then I heard it would be $399. Then I saw the ever elusive "memo" and thought that maybe, once again, I was eligible for the $199.

Well, I only spend $89 per month, instead of the req'd $99 per month. So, of course, I didn't qualify. And I got to thinking of two things:

1. I could just ETF for $120 and start a new account / new line and buy the phone for $199 plus tax. Thus saving myself about $80. My number is not incredibly important to me, as it's still fresh in my new hometown. But it would still be a huge inconvenience.

2. I could offer AT&T the supposed $120 they missed out on (from $89 to $99, over 12 months) and then have them "flip the switch" to make me upgrade eligible for the $199 price.

I've been growing frustrated over the weekend because I kept reading about seemingly haphazard circumstances in which people who clearly didn't qualify, got to upgrade for $199 anyway. And thinking of these two rationalizations, didn't really help my frustration. The way I was looking at it, it was unreasonable, but understandable, that I didn't qualify for the $199 price - but it was incredibly unfair that I was getting gipped out of $80.

So I called. And I called. And I called some more. I went into stores. And no matter who I talked to, they wouldn't budge. I got so many different answers and responses, none of which were conclusive. But the end result of every conversation was, "regardless of the logic you have pointed out, we can not help you".

I asked: "Will you really force a customer to cancel and re-subscribe to save $80?" and they said "If that's what you want to do, go for it."

I asked: "Can I just pay you $120 and then you make me upgrade eligible?" to which they responded, "Sir, we cannot adjust the iPhone price for you."

Finally, one lady offered me a forty dollar credit and I said, "Super, but I want $80". Turns out, she had offered me the $40 as an error, and had to leave the offer on the table since she had mentioned it.

So, after talking with her supervisor, and her supervisors supervisor, I was able to get the $40 credit. Which, I guess, in the grand scheme of things, is better than nothing.

So I guess the point of this post, aside from mild entertainment, is to ask this: "Is my logic flawed?" Was there really anything wrong with offering to pay the $120 difference to get the $199 price? I mean, essentially, that's what was happening in that "memo", right?

FYI: I bought iPhone 8GB one week after launch and iPhone 3G one day after launch.

2. actorkid macrumors 6502

though your logic makes sense, it just doesn't work that way...a policy is a policy...get over it...please

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

4. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

First of all, if you cancel your contract you will not immidiately qualify for the $199 upgrade price. You would actually have to wait at least 90 days. Secondly, you giving them $120 doesn't make senese. Where did you get that from. If you feel you are being treated badly, go somewhere else. I did not qulify for the upgrade price, which was no suprise since I signed a 2 yr contract a year ago. It's just a phone dude.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

AT&T is right, you signed the contract, you agreed to the terms. You took the iphone in which att is still in debt for. The rules are the rules and you agreed to them. If you want the iphone THAT bad just cancel your contract and do as you said. Dont forget, you still have to wait 90 days until your able to sign with them again.

6. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Account Termination

There are a number of people that actaully cancelled their accounts, paid the ETF fee and were not able to get the iphone or start a new account. So basically they were screwed

T has been restricting the time that people can come back when they did this in some instances.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Agreed. Sorry pal, but AT&T is not charity.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

If you had to put a value on your personal and work time, are you really saving $80?

Likely ATT picked a period for certain classes of customers that maximize their profits while keeping high value customers in contact vs letting them get too close to lapsing and going with another provider.

In short, their rational probably isn't as simple as $120 or $80 or whatever.

9. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Your (the OP) logic IS flawed. AT&T strictly says "you MUST spend $99 or more a month to be upgrade eligible". No ifs, ands or buts there guy. You don't spend $99 or more, so you don't qualify. What's hard to understand about that? That's your choice if you want to cancel, lose your number and re-sign up. You want an iPhone, you pay for it, or wait until your eligible for the $199 price.

10. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It seems right in theory but I doubt ATT has the protocols (dealing with the accounting, credits to people's accounts, etc...) to accept that.

11. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

customer relations. i have had my at&t contract in my name since march 2009, maybe 3 1/2 months...i was able to get my eligibility reversed. you just have to know what to say sometimes. at&t was very gracious in helping me get my 3G. also fyi...when i was getting my phone from the at&t store, i thought upgrade pricing was set by what the computer says. but they looked at my account note and adjusted the price on the spot. my receipt shows 'pricing override, manager approval" usually it is not pricing is not able to be adjusted at the store level, it is set in place by what your account shows. good luck to you.

just a word of advice when you are talking to them:
    1. make them laugh...they are stuck in a cubicle all day talking to jerks yelling at them. the lady i talked to was so happy that i was cracking jokes with her, and she said it absolutely brightened her day that through all my trouble, i was still making jokes about the situation.
    2. thank them multiple times for helping you figure your situation out, it makes them feel like their job means something.
    3. DO NOT get rude. i know plenty of call center employees, and also myself working at a mobile store, when customers get rude, it turns them off. they will not want to help you if you start yelling.

i promise you, these things work. i have gotten many things turned around on my accounts, not just with at&t. people want to help, you just have to let them. good luck :)

12. andrew8404 macrumors regular

Can someone please explain the whole two year contract to me which gives you a lower price? Maybe it's because I'm dumb but it makes no sense to me! Okay so last year I signed a two year contract for the 3G which lowered the price to 199. Without the two year contract it would be 399 correct? But if I pay the 399 I'm going to be paying the same amount for phone usage and everything just no two year contract. So how exactly is AT&T eating money because either way your going to be paying the same amount for phone usage and date usage. I mean after two years of the contract shouldn't the phone bill be lowered because now I'm not under my inital contract? Anyways, I dont see how AT&T is losing money on anything with the iphone because the bill is pretty damn expensive. The way I see it anyone should be able to upgrade to the 199 price as long as they use a two year contract.

13. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

Clearly I did write too much, as no one really bothered to read.

I understand that I MUST spend $99 per month. I spent $89 over the last 12 months. The difference being: $10 per month. Times 12 months. Equals $120.

No? No one else sees this? :rolleyes:
    I give them $120 extra dollars to make up the difference, and they make me upgrade eligible. In other words:

Those that DID spend exactly $99 month save $200, whereas those that spent $120 less than them over the course of 12 months, have to spend an extra $200. Do you see the $80 discrepancy I'm trying to get at?

Geez, I feel like Buford Tannen and Doc Brown in BTTF Part III: "That's the $80 dollars!" :rolleyes:

14. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Even if you spent $97 a month, it's STILL not $99 a month. You do not qualify.

15. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered my 32GB at $499. A few days later, they announced the change in upgrade policy. I wasn't going to be eligible til December anyway, so I didn't fight it.

My friend didn't pre-order. He went in on Friday and bought it. We had gone last year together and bought the 3G together. We each had the same plan (450 minutes + iPhone data + $15 text = $84.99/mo.) His payments were late from time to time, mine were always paid immediately, including the $500 bill I got hit with for international roaming. His upgrade was also December.

He paid $299 for his phone at the Apple Store. I'm on hold right now calling into Apple Store customer service.

16. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I think this is ultimately what it comes down to. The OP annoyed the AT&T people and acted entitled. This isn't going to get anyone anywhere. This poster on the other hand, was nice, thankful, etc. and he got what he wanted. Not too hard to understand! :p

17. CJEscandell macrumors newbie

Furthermore, why did you take that $40 credit if you weren't entitled to it?

18. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

Dude or dudette: I'm not saying I DO qualify. In your example, I'm saying, why can't we pay them $2 more per month (times 12 months, so $24) and BE qualified?

Would you like to spend $97 per month and have to pay $200 extra, when someone else paid $2 more per month than you and they get to save $200? When you could've just spent $24 more and now you're waving the cash in AT&T's face saying "take it!" and they say (in soup nazi voice), "No iPhone 3GS for you!"

19. uhhitsjames macrumors member

I spent 93 a month, didn't qualify didn't really care. Yeah it would have been nice but there was nothing I could do. If you want that price next year up your monthly bill to 99+ and you should be all set, unless they change it next year.

20. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

Right, cause when you played Monopoly and got the chance card that read: "Bank Error, Collect $50 in your favor" you would put it back in the deck and say, "Nope, I'm not entitled."

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes your logic is flawed. You signed a contract you need to deal with the terms of the contract. It boggles my mind that you could not wait a few months to become eligible for the $199 . All that whining so you can get crappy video, a better crappy camera, a compass and voice commands.

So what are you going to do next year around this time when the next phone comes out? Whine again!

22. pavvento macrumors 6502

The difference is that you HAVE to keep that line active and pay AT&T. If you were to buy it without a contract (and without the subsidy) you could unlock it and use on T-Mobile and AT&T wouldn't receive any money from you.

Because companies do not have accounting practices to help tech fiends upgrade their phones when they don't qualify. There isn't an account or a bill they can send to you for this.

23. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

I realize that. I just don't think the contract I signed and this "memo" and this bizarre situation really have anything to do with one another.

No, I'm not whining. I'm just not rolling over and busting out the lube, as apparently most of you are doing. :rolleyes:

Well I think that's rather unfortunate, considering they're selling the iPhone, which is made by Apple, who happens to have a large user base of "tech fiends".

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your fight with AT&T?

Try your one sided argument with AT&T.

The word of the day ....

25. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Because it does not work that way. Get over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.