Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I am an iPhone owner and a new first time Mac owner, myself. I am actually enjoying having a toe in both Apple and Windows worlds. There are benefits to both. I use Windows for my home servers and gaming machines and don't see that changing. My last notebook was a 13" Asus i7 Zenbook with SSD now on Windows 10 Pro. That was such a revelation coming from previous clunky hot heavy laptops. That machine is still relevant and is as good as the MBA M2 for browsing, email streaming video, etc. But I have been having keyboard failures so I got the Mac. Glad I did, but I will repair the Asus and keep that, too. I am grateful that Apple has opened up the platform enough to make this a useful combination.
I haven’t had a windows gaming machine since my kid was born lol. I only got back into gaming because of Covid and I honestly quite enjoy the Xbox experience. I wasn’t sure I would since I had not owned a console since the Super Nintendo lol.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I definitely see why so many people go all in on apple though, they definitely know how to build a very fluid ecosystem.
Yup. If your workflows and requirements are such that everything inside the 'walled garden' meets all your needs, there's precious little reason to go beyond the wall once you've embraced 'doing things the Apple way'. I know that sounds a bit cultist. But no other ecosystem offers such tight integration across all their devices.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yup. If your workflows and requirements are such that everything inside the 'walled garden' meets all your needs, there's precious little reason to go beyond the wall once you've embraced 'doing things the Apple way'. I know that sounds a bit cultist. But no other ecosystem offers such tight integration across all their devices.
I know a lot like to label it as such a bad thing, but if it works for you, then why is it a bad thing? How is it any different feeling stuck on a windows machine because of certain legacy apps that need it and force you to use it? Lol

I’m happy I’m quite open minded with tech, and my needs are definitely not big. Hell I’ve made it by with an iPad and an iPhone for several years with no computer lol. But I’ve been wanting one for awhile now, still some things I borrow my wife’s laptop for in a pinch.

She’s very jealous of the fact that I haven’t charged my air since yesterday afternoon and still had 65% this morning when I opened it up lol. Didn’t even lose a percent over night

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Random question, is it normal for the ssd write speeds to jump up when you run the black magic speed test own the 1gb setting? When I run the standard 5gb test u get the usual speed you would expect. Then when I select the 1gb test, it hits 3800mb/s

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Random question, is it normal for the ssd write speeds to jump up when you run the black magic speed test own the 1gb setting? When I run the standard 5gb test u get the usual speed you would expect. Then when I select the 1gb test, it hits 3800mb/s
Because it is sequential it will depend on how many free blocks are available. SSDs have a complicated dance between blocks that are completely empty, blocks that are partially used and need to be re-written when data is added or changed and blocks that the OS knows are not in use but the SSD currently doesn't know—i.e. Trim. If the SSD controller can't find enough free blocks it needs to run its garbage collector slowing things down significantly.

Since you are streaming smaller blocks, it is probably easier for the SSD controller to find free blocks so it is faster. Generally, you should use something like AmorphousDiskMark to test your SSD speeds unless you specifically care about how fast you can read/write for video applications like Black Magic Resolve.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Because it is sequential it will depend on how many free blocks are available. SSDs have a complicated dance between blocks that are completely empty, blocks that are partially used and need to be re-written when data is added or changed and blocks that the OS knows are not in use but the SSD currently doesn't know—i.e. Trim. If the SSD controller can't find enough free blocks it needs to run its garbage collector slowing things down significantly.

Since you are streaming smaller blocks, it is probably easier for the SSD controller to find free blocks so it is faster. Generally, you should use something like AmorphousDiskMark to test your SSD speeds unless you specifically care about how fast you can read/write for video applications like Black Magic Resolve.
Ok, thanks for the tip. Definitely feels very snappy for all my usages so far lol

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
one thing that will take some getting used to is this file system, I feel like I can't find anything lol
I find the Column view in the Finder is by far the most useful for drilling down into the directories.

Spotlight search is quite good once the disk has been indexed -- and Alfred uses that database to find stuff blazingly fast as well.

Reactions: jchap and cygy2k

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
If you have made due with only an iPad for so long, why does it matter that the Lenovo has a gen 4 ssd, 6nm AMD, or any other particular spec? Your workflow sounds very light and any machine would likely do - just get what you like and don't obsess on the specs. Far too many people think they're going to "future proof" or geek out only to never utilize 10% of what they pay for - I know because I've been that way myself.

The Lenovo or Air will serve you well. If you want PC compatibility and occasional games - or a screen with a resolution so high you can't use it's native resolution, then get the Lenovo. If you want better battery life, a great ecosystem with integration of your gadgets, and actual support should you need repair, get the Mac. It's that easy.

I will say as a life-long tech geek that was building pcs by the time I was 8 (now 40) - I've gone through probably 4 PC laptops a year (buying new and selling after a few months) along with my Macs. I've learned the hard way that you can baby your machines and buy the premier support from Lenovo - but you will wait 30-60 days for a repair if you need to send it in. This is why as a life-long PC user, I still use Macs as my go-to at home.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

3240 read and 3179 write using that app. Pretty decent

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
3240 read and 3179 write using that app. Pretty decent
The random reads and writes are more indicative of how fast your Mac will feel. Almost everything you run will use random reads and writes and not sequential.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
If you have made due with only an iPad for so long, why does it matter that the Lenovo has a gen 4 ssd, 6nm AMD, or any other particular spec? Your workflow sounds very light and any machine would likely do - just get what you like and don't obsess on the specs. Far too many people think they're going to "future proof" or geek out only to never utilize 10% of what they pay for - I know because I've been that way myself.

The Lenovo or Air will serve you well. If you want PC compatibility and occasional games - or a screen with a resolution so high you can't use it's native resolution, then get the Lenovo. If you want better battery life, a great ecosystem with integration of your gadgets, and actual support should you need repair, get the Mac. It's that easy.

I will say as a life-long tech geek that was building pcs by the time I was 8 (now 40) - I've gone through probably 4 PC laptops a year (buying new and selling after a few months) along with my Macs. I've learned the hard way that you can baby your machines and buy the premier support from Lenovo - but you will wait 30-60 days for a repair if you need to send it in. This is why as a life-long PC user, I still use Macs as my go-to at home.
I appreciate the input, and I wish it was that cut and dry in my head, so does my wife, driving her insane with it all lol.

I started building custom gaming rigs when I was 11 but stopped in my mid 20’s once I had kids. I’ve never owned a pc since my kids came along. My girlfriend at the time got pregnant, needed a bigger place, packed the pc up to move and never left the box (E8400 core 2 duo with 8800gt sli setup lol) But they’re getting older and more independent (less needy lol) so I’ve been wanting to dip back into it more. Tech is a hobby of mine

I didn’t commit to building a gaming pc since I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy it still. Went the Xbox route and been very happy with it. But I still got the itch to get a computer again. Unfortunately because it’s been so long since I’ve owned one, I’m still learning what exactly my use case is for one again. Will I want to dip into pc gaming again or is the Xbox good enough?

My use case before was building a custom rig, custom cooling, spend half my days in the bios to push the voltage and clocks to the max for every frame rate lol. Obviously that’s changed for me

Currently I’m very happy with this air and I think if I conclude the lenovo won’t fit the gaming on the go niche, it will probably be the one to go back.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
The random reads and writes are more indicative of how fast your Mac will feel. Almost everything you run will use random reads and writes and not
The random reads and writes are more indicative of how fast your Mac will feel. Almost everything you run will use random reads and writes and not sequential.
These are the full results of that test
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 14.11.50.png

Reactions: ndouglas

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I appreciate the input, and I wish it was that cut and dry in my head, so does my wife, driving her insane with it all lol.

I started building custom gaming rigs when I was 11 but stopped in my mid 20’s once I had kids. I’ve never owned a pc since my kids came along. My girlfriend at the time got pregnant, needed a bigger place, packed the pc up to move and never left the box (E8400 core 2 duo with 8800gt sli setup lol) But they’re getting older and more independent (less needy lol) so I’ve been wanting to dip back into it more. Tech is a hobby of mine

I didn’t commit to building a gaming pc since I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy it still. Went the Xbox route and been very happy with it. But I still got the itch to get a computer again. Unfortunately because it’s been so long since I’ve owned one, I’m still learning what exactly my use case is for one again. Will I want to dip into pc gaming again or is the Xbox good enough?

My use case before was building a custom rig, custom cooling, spend half my days in the bios to push the voltage and clocks to the max for every frame rate lol. Obviously that’s changed for me

Currently I’m very happy with this air and I think if I conclude the lenovo won’t fit the gaming on the go niche, it will probably be the one to go back.
Xbox won't give you spiderman, but a PC will. ;)

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Sweet desktop background. Glad to read positive posts of folks enjoying their Macbook. My first one was 2008 and I remember it well. Never looked back. :) Enjoy!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Sweet desktop background. Glad to read positive posts of folks enjoying their Macbook. My first one was 2008 and I remember it well. Never looked back. :) Enjoy!
lol thanks! Generally the first thing I do when I get a new device that can have a background is start downloading a bunch off new ones. Gotta give it the personal touch lol

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
question, how do you make it download all your music to the hard drive? its got all my music synced from iCloud, I've select automatically download music, but this seems to only apply to new music I will add after the fact. But all the thousands of songs I have synced, aren't downloading automatically. I can't seem to find a mass download option anywhere lol
I know this was answered previously but there may be a more straightforward solution.

1. Open Music
  2. Click on "Songs" in the sidebar on the left
  3. Click on any song in the list on the right
  4. Choose "Select All" from the "Edit" menu
  5. Choose "Download" from the "Song" menu

Reactions: Chateaunole-du-Pape

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I know this was answered previously but there may be a more straightforward solution.

1. Open Music
  2. Click on "Songs" in the sidebar on the left
  3. Click on any song in the list on the right
  4. Choose "Select All" from the "Edit" menu
  5. Choose "Download" from the "Song" menu
That worked, thank you!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
My Lenovo is out for delivery today, so the comparison will finally begin. But that thing is going to have to really blow me away to pull me back to windows at this rate lol

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Well first impressions on the Lenovo are definitely not as nicely built as the air. Bottom panel is flimsy and the fans have been going non stop but its still getting all set up. It definitely gets warm in the keyboard deck during all the updates lol. Screen is decent, but not as vibrant or bright and holy reflective! Definitely no anti glare coating on it at all. looks like a mirror

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.