My Force Touch Trackpad actually clicks issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbp2016w, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mbp2016w macrumors newbie

Hi there,

My 5 days old 15' tb MBP's force touch trackpad actually clicks physically. Is this normal?

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It doesn't click physically. Turn off the machine, then try to click it. It'll be tougher than granite ;)

The Force Touch trackpad is full of loads of magnets and a few other clever things to make it seem/feel like a click. It's pretty incredible! You can also click right on the edge of the pad and it will feel identical to if you clicked in the middle -- you won't feel it's tougher to click there, whereas you would have on the older machines which use the hinge mechanism.

3. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

It does move even turned off though?

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

Despite all the grousing about the FT trackpads, I love how you can click "anywhere" and it just works.

To me that alone is a HUGE improvement the early 2015 and earlier ones that required hitting near the bottom third to register..

5. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

This is all true but the video shows the pad moving downwards considerably. This doesn't look normal at all.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2017 ---
    That shouldn't be happening. Can you get it swapped?

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

ahaha yeah I just saw his reply video! Yeah @mbp2016w, that's definitely not normal! I'd get it sent back. :)

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

When you're pushing down on the trackpad, it looks like it travels farther than it should. How long have you had it.

8. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

Less than a week. I've already requested a replacement for other issues (battery and screen) but I seem to keep finding new defects...

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Wow. Less than a week and you've had issues with the trackpad, battery and screen? I would say you need a new MacBook all together. You have 14 days, why don't you just return it for a new one?

10. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I also have the same physical movement of the trackpad. While I do not know, but I think some movement is expected, they are after all components.

11. SRTM macrumors regular

Mine was doing the same thing, the trackpad was physically moving. Also parts of the trackpad were dead.
    sent it in for replacement

12. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Parts were dead? Dead to click or dead to finger swipes as well?

13. k2743 macrumors member

Mine does this too. But not as much as that! I would take that back.

14. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Mine moves almost as much as yours. Movement is normal, maybe yours seems to move a bit more. The glass flexes when you push it.

15. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

Does clicking work when you click on the edge of the trackpad?

16. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Sometimes when I click the left and right edge - exactly the edge - it won't click. However, ONLY if I click without touching the trackpad before. What I mean is, if I put my finger anywhate on the trackpad, then slide it to the edge - it always clicks. I think this has to do with capacitive detection of the finger, palm resist and stuff like that. For example, if I press the very edge of my Magic Trackpad 2, it also won't click. It's easier to do this on the MBP, but it can happen on the Magic Trackpad as well. Btw, it also moves physically.

So, I'm guessing it's ok.

Btw, how hard did you press on your trackpad? I can get it to move almost this much if I press really hard.

17. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

I pushed relatively hard.

I think yours may have a defect if clicking on the edge doesn't work: could you try clicking alternating the left and right edges quickly for a few seconds and let me know if clicking suddenly works on the edge again? It does that to me.

18. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I just updated my comment. No, it's not a defect. If I move the finger anywhere from the trackpad to the edge it always clicks.

I never have issues with it. Like really never.

19. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

Your explanation makes sense, thanks. I still have a flakey trackpad (in term of moving the cursor/clicking) but you've convinced me the edge thing is normal.

20. aevan, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017

aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Well, if you press hard, it will flex. It's a large area - my Magic Trackpad - which is the largest Force Trackpad - flexes quite a bit. Like, half a mm. So I think it's fine.

Some people are reporting that the MBP trackpad doesn't click on edges too. I have a strong feeling it has to do with palm rejection and stuff like that - because sometimes if I try to move the cursor by putting the finger on the very edge, it won't move. However, if I start from anywhere else, I can move it perfectly all along the edge. And click it too.

The only situation where this would bother me was if I had the need to click on very edges of the trackpad initially. It's hard to explain, but it would be a very strange way (it's a different thing when you're moving a window to the edge or something, then you might run into the trackpad edge - but in this case, it always works).

If your trackpad works nicely while you work normally, then I wouldn't worry about it.

21. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it does not. Also, just as a note: the flex I've recorded is with the pressure required to do a force touch click (2nd click).

22. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I just tried to press where you pressed, at the middle of the top edge, and mine flexes too. As much as yours. Wouldn't worry about it, really.

I mean, you can if you want and think it's broken. I'm not an Apple engineer, but it feels fine to me.

23. mbp2016w thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for checking.
    I'm exchanging it anyway because I have other issues (loose touch ID button, screen and battery problems)...

24. pcjackson06 macrumors newbie

pcjackson06

Anyone else ready to send their new MBP through a wall because of the Force Touch trackpad registering "events" while typing? For example, right clicks, clicks, etc? It's driving me absolutely mad.

25. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I just found this comment in a post I made a month ago:

"you can defiantly see the it flexing in the middles on the keyboard and palm sides of the trackpad. I thought it was just mine but I experienced the same flexing at both Apple & Best Buy on their displays."

So, I think the fexing is normal. I can get almost 1mm when doing the 2nd click press if I click in the middle of the trackpad near the edge. I don't know if others can confirm this, maybe people have different situations but I never even noticed it before. But it seems normal to me - the Force Touch works a bit differently than 3D Touch on the iPhone and Apple Watch - there you have capacitive sensors that measure micro changes anywhere on screen while Force Touch seems to have physical pressure detectors that require the surface to move to actually move.

[​IMG]
    I think this is quite normal for trackpads of this size - the 2016 15" Trackpad and Magic Trackpad 2 have the same width and they flex at the middle.
    Don't have that issue, but I don't rest my palms on it while typing. A lot of people type with wrists down, but it's a bad posture. Still, if you're having this issue, disabling tap to click may help.
    Are you saying yours doesn't move when you press it hard at that spot? Middle of the trackpad, just below the edge.