Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Less than a week. I've already requested a replacement for other issues (battery and screen) but I seem to keep finding new defects...

Just out of curiosity, since you never answered my question. If you've had all these issues less than a week with your new MacBook, why don't you return it for a new one? Did you purchase it from Apple?

You Stated you requested a replacement for the battery and screen, and now the trackpad has issues. I guess I'm just entirely confused why you would not exchange or return the MacBook Pro for a brand-new one if you're within the 14 day return policy.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
To get mine to bend like that I really have to push down on it. If you are just pressing lightly then it's bending too much. If you are pressing down hard then you are doing it too hard.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
To get mine to bend like that I really have to push down on it. If you are just pressing lightly then it's bending too much. If you are pressing down hard then you are doing it too hard.

When you press hard enough to get a 2nd force click, does it move on the middle like that? Mine moves around 0.8mm in the middle for the 2nd click.

I'm asking out of curiosity.

mbp2016w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
Just out of curiosity, since you never answered my question. If you've had all these issues less than a week with your new MacBook, why don't you return it for a new one? Did you purchase it from Apple?

You Stated you requested a replacement for the battery and screen, and now the trackpad has issues. I guess I'm just entirely confused why you would not exchange or return the MacBook Pro for a brand-new one if you're within the 14 day return policy.

The trackpad is from the old machine. I'm waiting for the new one to arrived in a few days!

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I just found this comment in a post I made a month ago:

"you can defiantly see the it flexing in the middles on the keyboard and palm sides of the trackpad. I thought it was just mine but I experienced the same flexing at both Apple & Best Buy on their displays."

So, I think the fexing is normal. I can get almost 1mm when doing the 2nd click press if I click in the middle of the trackpad near the edge. I don't know if others can confirm this, maybe people have different situations but I never even noticed it before. But it seems normal to me - the Force Touch works a bit differently than 3D Touch on the iPhone and Apple Watch - there you have capacitive sensors that measure micro changes anywhere on screen while Force Touch seems to have physical pressure detectors that require the surface to move to actually move.

force-touch-tech.jpg

I think this is quite normal for trackpads of this size - the 2016 15" Trackpad and Magic Trackpad 2 have the same width and they flex at the middle.
[doublepost=1484895820][/doublepost]

Don't have that issue, but I don't rest my palms on it while typing. A lot of people type with wrists down, but it's a bad posture. Still, if you're having this issue, disabling tap to click may help.
[doublepost=1484895922][/doublepost]

Are you saying yours doesn't move when you press it hard at that spot? Middle of the trackpad, just below the edge.

I get no actual movement when I press down firmly at the spot you mention or otherwise. I'm not willing to press down any harder as that seems plain reckless to me!

mbp2016w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
I get no actual movement when I press down firmly at the spot you mention or otherwise. I'm not willing to press down any harder as that seems plain reckless to me!

Doing a 2nd click (force click) on the top middle is sufficient for it to flex on mine

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

No need to press harder than the 2nd force touch press. Are you saying that if you do a 2nd click (the Quick Look force click, you know, the "deeper" click) at that spot you're not getting movement? The trackpad does not flex down?

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
No need to press harder than the 2nd force touch press. Are you saying that if you do a 2nd click (the Quick Look force click, you know, the "deeper" click) at that spot you're not getting movement? The trackpad does not flex down?

Exactly that. No flex.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Sure, when I get the chance later today.

I believe you, I just want to see it for some reason. So it flexes less then in my example?

I find it almost strange, because my Magic Trackpad flexes just the same. And somehow the whole construction feels like it's supposed to do that, there is nothing below the glass directly. No idea.

mbp2016w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
I just went to the Apple Store and turns out all MacBook's trackpads flex this way when clicking.

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York
Figured as much, thanks! I used it without issues and after this post I almost became paranoid. :) Thanks

Mine appears to flex about as much in your video when I push hard enough to activate the force touch click, but only at the top of the trackpad. It doesn't seem to move that much anywhere else. I know at least one other one in the store moves that much because when I was testing it out I didn't understand how the new trackpad worked and though I broke it...

Reactions: aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Mine appears to flex about as much in your video when I push hard enough to activate the force touch click, but only at the top of the trackpad. It doesn't seem to move that much anywhere else. I know at least one other one in the store moves that much because when I was testing it out I didn't understand how the new trackpad worked and though I broke it...

Yes, the same - only at the top of the trackpad. As I speculated and said before, the glass is flexible because of the pressure sensitivity and the size of the trackpad makes it flex more in the middle. Your posts all confirm it.

Thanks everyone.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I believe you, I just want to see it for some reason. So it flexes less then in my example?

I find it almost strange, because my Magic Trackpad flexes just the same. And somehow the whole construction feels like it's supposed to do that, there is nothing below the glass directly. No idea.

I stand corrected. I took my mu machine into my office to get decent lighting for a video clip and I can confirm that it does indeed move in line with your video. This is the first time I have noticed this and I really hope it's not a fault!

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I stand corrected. I took my mu machine into my office to get decent lighting for a video clip and I can confirm that it does indeed move in line with your video. This is the first time I have noticed this and I really hope it's not a fault!

It's not. We've just determined that all work like that - and it makes sense that they do. Don't worry about it and enjoy the awesome trackpad :)

Thanks for clarifying this!

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
It's not. We've just determined that all work like that - and it makes sense that they do. Don't worry about it and enjoy the awesome trackpad :)

Thanks for clarifying this!

Ah really? I was literally figuring out how to get this sorted.

Still not sure I like the idea of a gap which allows dust etc in. But I'll get over it...

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Ah really? I was literally figuring out how to get this sorted.

Still not sure I like the idea of a gap which allows dust etc in. But I'll get over it...

When you think about it, you rarely press at the edge, especially the deep press, so no reason for dust to get in any more than on regular trackpads.

Just don't think about it :)

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Lol, this is all totally normal. The click, the flex, it's all expected behavior.

I of course know the click is normal haha! I guess it was a shock to see the gap with proper lighting on it. The SG colour made it harder to spot for sure.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to forget any of this ever happened. ;)

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try to forget any of this ever happened. ;)

Smart thing to do :) Sometimes just reading the issues on the forum can get a person insane ;) The OP was, of course, well meaning, but I went 180 degrees from convincing him that it's fine to almost believing something is wrong myself. In the end, it turned out to be ok - so sometimes is better to just ignore certain things.

I remember the ghosting issue on iMac 5Ks - after reading about it and noticing some ghosting on Marco Arment's test I obsessed about it for weeks, until I decided it's not a real issue and forgot all about it :) No issues since :D

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Smart thing to do :) Sometimes just reading the issues on the forum can get a person insane ;) The OP was, of course, well meaning, but I went 180 degrees from convincing him that it's fine to almost believing something is wrong myself. In the end, it turned out to be ok - so sometimes is better to just ignore certain things.

I remember the ghosting issue on iMac 5Ks - after reading about it and noticing some ghosting on Marco Arment's test I obsessed about it for weeks, until I decided it's not a real issue and forgot all about it :) No issues since :D

Agreed. I made the mistake of looking at the screen uniformity threads and managed to convince myself that there were blue and pink hues on my screen. There may well be a touch of these hues but had I not seen the thread I wouldn't have thought so and in the end I started to think my screen looked like the Union Jack! Stepping away from it all, I realise that my screen is actually very well balanced and I'm very happy with it.

Sometimes perspective is sorely needed huh pal?

Last edited:
Reactions: aevan

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Mine does this as well, although I've noticed it is as I almost completely use touch instead of click for all my trackpad usage. Good to know it's normal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.