My iPhone 4 - it's boring me.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndyDel, Aug 20, 2010.

1. AndyDel macrumors member

I’ve owned all versions of the iPhones over the years, also a HTC Desire just previously to purchasing my iPhone 4.

I’m getting desperately bored.

I keep looking at Android (ala 2.2) and the innovations / interesting new features they’re added, such as the “Google Intents” and i can’t quite see why Apple aren’t as exciting.

Don’t get me wrong, Android has some serious limitations in itself. Until 2.2 is widely available and developers have reacted to the ability to store applications on a storage card, the Marketplace is going to stay where it is.. Ever so slightly behind the app store, although this will be overcome in the next 12 months as development ramps up.

Still.. I can’t help but feel i prefer Android.. I won’t go back to it mind, purely due to the disparity in applications.

I just can’t get excited about iOS anymore, nothing about it is moving forward for me. Nothing exciting about it has ever been added, it’s stayed relatively the same since it’s inception.. Where is the innovation and forward thinking displayed on it’s release..

Heres the main things ii can do extra since i had my iPhone 2G..

- Copy and paste
    - Record video
    - Make folders
    - SMS
    - Threaded email
    - Video chat

Hardly earth shattering additions to the operating system.. Granted, Apple tend to do these new features in a way that is much better than the competition, but that still doesn’t change the fact that innovation has been incredibly limited.

Where is the cloud to device messaging stuff (ala Google Intents), where is my mobile wifi hotspot feature, ability to refund applications within 1-2 weeks of purchase, voice recognition... Where are the new ideas from Apple..

I also own a 27" iMac - when you look at Mac OSX it's pretty clear that they've stayed quite relevant and ahead when it comes to Desktop OS, with companies like Microsoft looking to clone allot of features they add as a result. TimeMachine is a prime example of that, now that's innovation.. Why don't do see this in their iOS.

God knows, they’ve got enough talent, time and money to come up with some.. Why is Android forging ahead in that respect, when Apple had quite a jump on it before we even saw the G1.

I still love my iPhone 4.. I still think Android has to tighten a couple of bolts.. But it’s really not going to be long till Android matures completely, steams ahead in majority of respects and leaves me looking at iPhone’s thinking.. “Great p hones, nice OS.. But just lagging behind”.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol. Well, then go get an Android phone and sell your iPhone 4 on eBay.

3. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

the app store will not be overtaken in a very long time.

you have to remember the app store reaches more audiences, not just iPhone users, iPod touch and iPad users too.

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I disagree, my previous phone before my iPhone 4 was a Nexus One and both OS's are fantastic. Having said that I really don't miss my nexus as much as I thought I would.

Both Android and iOS are fantastic OS's but I think at this very moment iOS still just edges it. All could change though.

5. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Go buy an android phone and see if that helps your boredom. My guess is that it won't though. these are phones after all, not antidepressants nor cures for A.D.D.

6. AndyDel thread starter macrumors member

Think some people are more than missing the point

I own an iPhone 4.. My wife a 3GS.. I also have a 27" iMac..

I'm about as sucked in and devoted Apple user as they come, this isn't a "Apple suck ass, iPhones are gay and Android is the second coming"..

It's a valid point made about the fact that while Apple seem innovate with their Desktop OS, iOS seems to have stagnated quite a bit since it's first release.

My wife loves her 3GS, since shes only recently got one.. But it's new to her, i've be using iPhones since the 2G... I want some new exciting things to be coming out, i want to see momentum for the platform.

7. felt. macrumors 6502a

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have to agree here. I've never actually said once that my iPhone, any revision I've owned, has bored me. What I will say is I am tired of not being able to make or receive calls.

Why is it that people think a device will somehow cure their inability to be happy or find something worthwhile to do all day? :confused:

9. vachargerfan macrumors regular

If you are bored with it, then you can always JB it. There is a ton of stuff out there.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

That's what Macrumors is for...

11. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I see this post from time to time, and it makes me wonder what the OP does for a living. I'm glad you laid it out for us, but what do you do all day? I'm not making fun or anything but I've had those days with my iPhone that I've looked at all day and forced myself to put it down.

Go out and do something: Do yard work, go for a walk, go out with friends, or go do something unrelated to technology. When I do this I come back to my iPhone 4 and it feels very new again.

12. AndyDel thread starter macrumors member

Sometimes i think people are purposefully dim.

I want to see new innovation and exciting new features on the OS my mobile uses, as unfortunately my entire life has crashed and burned as a result. I’ve pondered suicide, but i can’t quite bring myself to do it since i don’t have an app for that..

Honestly.. Get a grip..

I just want to see the same innovation and exciting developments as i do on their Desktop OS and Android, i enjoy owning and buying technology.. Oddly enough, this does not cause the fabric of my life to be torn apart.

13. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is then. There is nothing that will cure your boredom. I would suggest finding a hobby.

14. AndyDel thread starter macrumors member

"You need to get out more" quip, often lingers but never disappears.

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Well said.

What the heck man, surfing, gaming, working, ETC., what can't the iPhone the iPhone do to entertain someone?

What can Apple do to appease your boredom with your iPhone?

I don't understand posts like this :confused:

You need to add features to your life rather than your phone to solve your boredom issues maybe?

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPhone can access pretty much all of the internet.
    It can be loaded with any kind of music, movies, or TV shows.
    It can be used to talk with your friends using voice, texts, or video.

If you're bored with an iPhone then you're probably also bored with your computer, your TV, and 'restaurants-with-friends.' And if that's the case, I don't see how a smart phone is going to cure your boring life.

The iPhone is a tool to make things you have into portable things. It doesn't make them better...it makes them portable. You aparently don't have things. That's not the iPhone's fault.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sorry but your post is boring too me, so what! :rolleyes: sell it move on!

18. AndyDel thread starter macrumors member

Well, we are on a “discussion forum”. First word tends to be the clue, second word is there just incase you didn’t quite get it..

iPhone forum.. People own iPhones.. Discussion about lack of innovation in the iPhone OS.. Disagree, Agree, Contribute, Discuss constructively..

Want me to get a towel so i can wipe the drool from your face aswell?

I’m quite flabbergasted that people have just lost the ability to discuss a topic based on somebody’s opinion without it degenerating into personal drivel.

19. AndyDel thread starter macrumors member

I still think it's a great phone, as i've clearly pointed out.. What it does, it tends to do better than all the competition..

It's just smartphones have moved on a bit, new features are being rolled out on operating systems like Android.. Pretty exciting uses for the cloud.. It confuses me why Apple have lagged behind in that respect, when they're so on the ball with their Desktop OS.

Just like when you own a consoles you want to see the most exciting, best and innovative new games to hit the one you own.. I want the same from my phone.

20. db2431 macrumors regular

This thread is like saying "my 20 million dollars, its boring me", you have the tool, its the user at fault if they are bored.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I like Mac OS because it lets me play games, surf the web, and edit videos.

You're telling me you like it because they added Time Machine and a 3D dock?

Those are tools that help me do the things I need to do. Your problem is that you apparently aren't DOING anything with your computers. You're just admiring them. It's like staring at a car in the driveway all day. It's pointless if you don't actually drive the car anywhere.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Interesting that you wrote this:

And then wrote this:

Color me equally flabbergasted!

Look buddy, find a hobby if you're bored or learn a skill that will help you be more innovative yourself. Waiting around to be wowed is clearly not working for you.

23. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

What exactly do you need your phone to do? IMO, it does seem a strange complaint:

- I need my phone to do new stuff!
    Sure, like what?
    - I don't know. Just something new.

Personally, I'd prefer if Apple added features to fulfil needs, rather than adding features for the sake of it. If you know of anything that should be added to the iPhone, by all means mention it here. Chances are, some app does it, and if not, Apple might well listen to the feedback.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the point we're getting at, AndyDel.

If you started a thread saying "I'd like a better notification system because it would make my life easier" than I'd be here saying "Me too!" Also, I had no problem with all the "We need cut and paste" threads. Those people wanted something for a specific reason.

But this post sounds like a drug addict who no longer remembers WHY he needs the drugs...he just knows that his body needs it to feel normal.

Give me new features! [New feature added] Ahhh...that's better. [10 minuts later] I need new features!

That's what everyone is reacting negatively too. You don't seem to have actual needs or desires...just an addiction.

25. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I'm sorry, but if you want voice recognition, hold down the home button of the phone for a few seconds.

Oh and you forgot that you can "multi-task" (not really) on iOS4, and tethering can be a mobile hotspot.