My iPhone 6S+ will be an attempt at a 3 year cycle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Razeus, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

Well folks, I think this will be my last iPhone for 3 years. I usually grab the new one every year since the 3GS (I miss that phone).

I was hoping it would have been the iPhone 6 Plus due to it's big screen (which I was waiting for), but the phone, for me, has been a nightmare and can't wait to be free of it.

Now that the 6S Plus has 2GB of RAM, it should go the full distance. I'm going to get AppleCare+ for it which covers me for the 2 out of the 3 years I plan to own it.

Sure future phones will have f/1.8-2.0 lenses. Sure it might gain bigger batteries. But as of now, I think phones have become good enough to go multi-year upgrades. Apple seems to support their phones for 3 years with OS upgrades. The 2GB RAM should keep things speedy.

Wish me luck!

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Good luck. The iPhone 6S Plus is going to bring me back to getting a new iPhone every year due to the iPhone upgrade program.

I had iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, 4S and 5S. I look forward to getting back to every year now.

3. flur macrumors 68000

This is what I said about the 5s, and yet I have a 6s on order.

For me, it isn't that I think the 6s is super amazing. It's that I like being in the S upgrade cycle and don't want the brand new form factor redesign - I like when they've had some time to work out the quirks in the design. If I waited another year I'd have to get the 7, or I'd have to wait two more years for the 7s.

4. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

Me too, I enjoy the s upgrades. It's funny because my wife's the opposite, she wants a new form factor over big performance gains. But then again she doesnt even notice or complain when a device is slow.

5. KittyKatta, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

For me, 3 years is too long.

As an annual upgrader then I can look back and admit that upgrading annually was silly because the process of selling the old phone to buy the new phone usually involved losing money and time just so I could get that cool new feature... that isn't fully realized until the next generation.

If I would be more rational then I'd say 2yrs is the ideal time to upgrade.
    - Phone is paid off (or contract is fulfilled)
    - Decent selling price before its eventual drop-off
    - Number Cycle Buyers: You get a fresh new hardware design
    - S Cycle Buyers: You get a nifty unique feature

But still, thats me trying to be rational and when it comes to buying Apple stuff then I have to leave the rational side at home.

6. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Good luck with that, I'll stick with annual upgrade cycle.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Good call OP. The 6s+ will still be rocking it in 3 years. Easy.

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Good luck. I sure hope the iP6S will be better than its predecessor. I wish the iPhone plan was available in Canada, along with Apple Pay. Apple, you know what to do. ;)

9. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I've been on the S cycle a while now, but I was also planning on making this upcoming phone (6s+) a 3-year investment.

10. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Part of my plan is to take the phone in at the end of year 2, before AppleCare is up, and get the battery replaced with a fresh one. That should keep my battery life strong in Year 3.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You never know where technology will take us. 3 years is very ambitious. There could be something ground breaking during that span: e.g., major battery upgrades

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Have fun... See you for iPhone 8 release I guess...

13. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Ya, I'll be paying attention to the new releases, but not too much attention. That usually leads me to upgrading...

14. airb330 macrumors member

Same for me (6S though). Bought it and AppleCare using an AMEX so I'll be covered for all three years. I still have an iPhone 5 so I think I'll make it, if not, oh well.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Just to be clear: Amex extends the manufacture warranty by an additional year. It will take that 1 year manufacture warranty on the phone and make it two years. It does not extend out Applecare+ to 3 years.

Look at it like this. If you bought a new TV with a 1 year warranty and an extended warranty, you are only getting the extension on the manufacture warranty, not the actual extended warranty.

16. doboy macrumors 68000

17. airb330, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

airb330 macrumors member

That's what I thought at first too, and it was my gut reaction. I did some research last night on it and multiple people said it will cover it. The key clause (for my card) states:

If the product also is covered by a purchased service contract, this Plan’s extended warranty time
    period begins at the end of the service contract and extends the original manufacturer’s warranty
    for a period of time equal to that warranty, up to one (1) additional year.

If the combined coverage of the original manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract exceed five
    (5) years, the product purchased is not eligible under this Plan and no coverage applies.

Apple Care is considered a purchase service contract that extends the original manufacturers warranty. Other plans like SquareTrade wouldn't fall into this. It's still sort of a grey area overall, but I have no dobut AMEX would come through if Apple did charge for some repairs in year three.

The program number 1-800-225-3750 Option 4, then option 2 also states this as well, as long as it is less than 5 years total. :)

18. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Planning on doing the same, with the 6S AND 16GB of storage. Not that the latter is an issue for me, I've been doing OK with my 16GB iPhone 5 now for 2+ years.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

nice, good find! Just make sure you charge the entire purchase at the same time to the amex. So does that mean AC+ would be 3 years, or just 2 years AC+ and the last year would just be the manufacture warranty? Either way, the battery would be covered under both.

20. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Yeah next year iphone 7's battery lasts a week and everyone will jump ship again

21. airb330 macrumors member

Yes, instead of doing NEXT I just put the whole thing on the AMEX to get this coverage. Just have to keep the receipt (which is easy in your email). Year 1: Apple/AppleCare year 2: AppleCare year 3: AMEX

AMEX doesn't cover shipping but with Apple that isn't an issue. Let's say in year three, you need a new battery like you stated. You go to an Apple Store, they confirm you need a new battery and are out of warranty. Pay for the repair with your Amex. Submit the paperwork to the Amex warranty department; they'd likely want the original receipt, Apple/AppleCare terms (should be able to find a PDF), and the repair. Wait for a check. It doesn't seem too bad since we can use Apple directly at the store just like normal, but the only change is charging the repair and waiting for reimbursement.

22. Yellowbean12 macrumors member

Yellowbean12

I've had my iPhone 5 for three years now, it's still perfectly fine and I could easily go at least another year with it but I'm upgrading to the 6S as a treat :D

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you purchase both the iPhone and AC+ using an Amex card, Amex will mirror the standard warranty at the end of AC+, giving you three years of protection against manufacturing defects (no accidental damage protection in the 3rd year though).

24. atomic50 macrumors member

This assumes you purchase the phone outright wholly on said AMEX card right? I'm presuming applecare has to be purchased at the same time and/or with said AMEX card too? Thanks in advance for your insights.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You don't have to buy it outright but can purchase it at the subsidized price; however, Amex will cover you only up to the price you paid for it. I.e., you buy the 6s+ for $599 plus tax and Amex will reimburse you up to $599 plus tax. However, the entire $599 must be charged to the Amex card. AC+ doesn't have to be purchased at the same time, but will need to be charged to the same Amex card. It doesn't work if you put $0 down (like on the Next plan), as you'd get reimbursed $0.

Notice that the extended contract must be provided and administered by the original manufacturer (namely Apple). In other words, it won't work with Squaretrade, etc.

Purchases not covered:
    11. additional service contract or extended warranty coverage for a computer, computer component or part that You buy which already comes with an original United States of America manufacturer’s warranty, unless such coverage is provided and administered by the original manufacturer;