Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobo Decosta

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
All that lawsuit talk makes me want to burn my leg as I know how to now my iPod Touch got bricked. When I boot it it will only show the Apple logo and then only turns hot. It's a pity I live in Europe otherwise i would be now in a lot of pain :p

houdeani13

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Mine got extremely hot once...

Granted, I only have an original 8GB Edge iPhone...

I didn't think much about it at the time. It was sometime in the fall of 2007 that I was biking to class with my phone in my pocket. I got into the building and connected to wifi, then the aluminum back got VERY hot to the point that I had to put it on a desk to continue to use it, then it locked up and went into refresh mode with the apple logo on a VERY bright screen. At the time I had no idea what to do to get it to force quit because not many people had to do that at that in the early stages (not a whole lot fo problems with it). However, I started pressing buttons like crazy and finally realized that holding down the home button and power button got it to turn off and startup again (what I would later discover to be force restart). This whole ordeal lasted about 3 minutes. The phone was fully charge before it crashed, then when I got it to work after force restarting, it was down to about 25% battery life!!! I had had this problem with my 30GB iPod Color 1.5 years before, but that thing is NOTHING like an iPhone. As a sidenote, I had to force restart that iPod when this happened to it also and that iPod's harddrive failed more than a year ago and I had Apple recycle it. The point of the story is: there must be something wrong with the lithium ion batteries in the devices, much like the firy explosiveness that happened a year or so ago in laptop batteries. I wonder what could have caused it to launch into spontaneous battery draining...software/battery compatibility problems? I really don't know enough to speculate on something like that.

I never reported the issue because I figurd it was something that I had done to cause it to lock up, which led to spontaneous battery draining, but who knows. (It still works pretty darn well!)

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Don't do anything dishonest, that wont get you anywhere, but you should

1) Go to your doctor immediately and have it checked out and documented.
2) Stop using the iPhone and take it to the Genius Bar immediately.

I think it is high time for Americans and Europeans to stand up and say we are no longer going to accept this defective Wall-Mart style CRAP that is created in China. I have had 2 products in the last 3 months with explooding batteries, one of which sprayed the electrolyte on my child. Luckily we were able to nutralize the acid before more problems.

We are in an era where every big company is trying to make their products cheaper and cheaper, so they go to China. China manufacturing=FAIL. Every stinkin LiIon battery in the explooding battery problems of the past year is made in ...wait for it...China (ding ding ding). If they cant even be bothered to make their schools and buildings up to spec to not kill their own people, then how in the heck can we expect them to give a crap about us, the Capitalistic society (Their mortal enimy's). I miss the days of products coming out of HK. While there are ties to China, things were such better quality then.

You need to burn Apple on this. They owe you. What if you get cancer later on because of cell damage that you dont see now. It can happen. Send Apple the message that we do not accept their non-QA, QC crap. And for the love of God, at least have them replace your iPhone with a new one out of the box and not a replacement, refurb stock unit in a white box. I think that is the least they could do. Of course they are not going to care, so the suggestion to run in without an appointment and drop trou and scream may have more of an effect, or may provide more comedy for us here in the forums. If you decide to do that, please have a friend video tape it, as this would be really funny.

</china-rant>

I have to say, I think you may have written the stupidest post I have ever read on the Internet, and that says a lot. Congrats to you.

Do you have no perception of economics, politics, or science? Because in this post you seemed to have made up hilarious BS concerning all 3.

First off - you realize it is Apple's fault for making shoddy products right? When you give a Chinese factory 80 cents to make a product that costs a dollar then they are going to HAVE to make substandard products. Do you have any compassion for the 14 year olds in the factory that get acid burns every day? Probably not. Typical.

Second - Have you ever been to China or actually looked into how China works? I have. It's not some Maoist Russo-Communist type society. It's more capitalist then the good old U S of A, part of the reason why they are slowly buying out all the companies that offshore their pollution to China in the first place (ironic, no?) They don't "hate" America, the only ones who hate anyone are ignorant fools who like to China bash but gladly shell out 200 bucks to Apple for creating substandard products anyway.

Last, I highly doubt a burn can give you cancer. It's pretty much impossible to know the effect of "cell damage" because of all the outside factors. Your cells are damaged every day. Are you going to sue the Bush Administration for lowering standards on mercury output from factories and power plants, because your little kid is breathing that every day and thats much worse then a burn. What about tainted food that is picked by migrants who are paid 25cents an hour by American aggro-corps?

As you can see these issues are much more complex then your simple look at the issue. I agree, Apple should make better products but it is Apple's fault and not Chinas. The only people who benefit in making these shoddy products are Apple's shareholders and the one or two foreigners or Chinese who own the factory that makes the product.

GG but you fail mate.

Zews

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Contact your local newspaper, and other media

I have followed the first few pages of this thread, and I also agree, that this is could be a serious matter. Try to stay away from personal injury lawyers.

I suggest you contact your local newspaper, and Time and Newsweek magazines. And don't forget, CNN, MSNBC and FOX news.

I understand from the transcript of your phone call, that Apple is sending you a new phone. Do not send the old phone back, until after you have contacted the various media outlets, if you want to go that route. They may want to take a look at the phone, rather than take your word for it. Once the damaged phone is back in Apple's hands, you don't have a case. Something like this could be a major PR nightmare for them.

This story is now all over the Net, i.e. Gizmodo etc., it'll spread like wildfire.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You're lucky you don't have hole in your pants and … Hope you're okay.

Anyways, get it replaced ASAP and we should all be careful from now on.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I really don't want to form a lawsuit, I just want a replacement, the burn isn't severe, maybe like a sunburn...

also, auto lock was set to 1 minute, the phone wasn't jailbroken, and yeah,

it was a wake up "call"...

The OP obviously doesn't have any intention of creating a fuss. He got what he wanted.

To the OP: What are your intentions after contacting Apple support and everything? Has your intentions changed at all?

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
You in Arkansas? Fayetteville? LR?
if you're in Ark, you could have drove to Tulsa :D like I did to get my phone... what a long drive :(

Well, good luck on ur new phone

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
He could be on The View talking with the girls about this iPhone thingy or maybe Oprah and then she could give out free iPhones to everyone in the audience.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Yeah, with a new media popular devise - Any news company would LOVE to have a story like this!

The View.... eh watch out for Whoopie, if you start talking about the color of your iPhone she might become offended!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well, think of it this way ... if Apple asks for a picture of your physical damage, you won't go to jail for sending it.

I little less luck and your personal injury due to the iPhone could really have hurt, and got you sent to jail for mailing pics of your privates to Apple's CSRs.

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
He could be on The View talking with the girls about this iPhone thingy or maybe Oprah and then she could give out free iPhones to everyone in the audience.

"everyone, This is truly different, this man fell asleep ad woke up to a burning sensation in his pocket, what was it?

it was his iPhone, hot enough to melt the plastic...

Audience- Aww...

Everyone in the audience today will receive a new iPhone 3g!

Audience- Uh... We don't want burning sensations..."

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Well, think of it this way ... if Apple asks for a picture of your physical damage, you won't go to jail for sending it.

I little less luck and your personal injury due to the iPhone could really have hurt, and got you sent to jail for mailing pics of your privates to Apple's CSRs.

Privates?

it was a burn on my leg... not crotch or buttocks...:p

MacBoy08

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Fort Smith
Woo Go Ar!!

You in Arkansas? Fayetteville? LR?
if you're in Ark, you could have drove to Tulsa :D like I did to get my phone... what a long drive :(

Well, good luck on ur new phone

northwest AR here, Fort Smith to be precise!

i second the tulsa idea too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.