My iPhone keyboard is GETTING ON MY LAST NERVE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Apr 16, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

I love my iPhone to death, but this dang keyboard is killing me! I know I'm not suppose to txt and drive, but sometimes ya do what ya got ta do. Driving and txting with the iPhone is especially risky!

My hope is some third party will come out with a T9 plugin or some other innovative way to enter text. Something with a larger "hit" area for the letters.

Anyone else feel my pain?

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

... so you're upset that the iPhone keyboard doesn't facilitate texting while driving?

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Don't worry, it'll be very easy to use the iPhone keyboard once you're lying in a hospital bed.

4. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

...or it won't ever be a problem again when your iPhone is embedded in your chest after the impact. Maybe you will be able to just biologicaly communicate with it then.

Or, the dead dont need to type!

5. realfx macrumors member

This thread is not progressing like you thought it would.......

6. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Could you do us all a favour? Follow these steps:

1) Go to the local drivers license/motor vehicle service centre.
    2) Surrender your drivers license.

Thanks.

7. eBay macrumors member

I feel your pain too..Its definitely much more difficult texting on an iphone while driving than any other phone

and im sure none of you other people flamin the OP have NEVER EVER texted while driving too..hypocrites these days

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Hah, we're all in consensus, so I see where we're going in this thread:

What do you call a guy who texts while driving? Worm food! :p

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

oh, ive texted whilst driving before, but im not going to come on a forum and complain about something being too difficult to do when i shouldnt really do in the first place.

it's a bit silly.

10. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Many of us haven't. I know I've never done it. Not all of us drink and drive either. Just because you and all your idiot friends that you know do it does NOT mean that anywhere near the majority of drivers do it.

11. eBay macrumors member

Yeah well I dont drink and drive either so...Also dont really see how this makes me an idiot. 6 years and no texting related driving accidents. *knock on wood*.
    But anyway, OP I saw a screen cover somewhere that had a layout for the keypad so you could actually feel each individual key on the keyboard. Maybe this could help you?

12. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

this is my favorite post today so far.... ha hahahaha , thank you.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Texting whilst driving has got to be one of the most dangerous things you can do behind a wheel (even more so with a non-tactile keyboard like the iPhone).

Your comment that the keyboard is killing you may be more accurate than you think! if you want to kill yourself then that's your choice, but what about if you hit someone and kill them whilst sending that oh so important text?

As a slight aside, in the UK, you can be charged with Dangerous Driving for texting and driving, which carries a penalty of 2 years in jail

14. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I have not sent a text while behind the wheel. I also do not make phone calls while driving. I will recieve over my bluetooth but have never risked my families or my own life for something as stupid as a phone call or text. Just totally not worth it.

15. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

In more and more states in the US driving while texting is becoming illegal as well. Though I think the penalty here is usually a very expensive ticket rather than jail time (afaik).

16. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I am sure someone will when you run them over.

17. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Deal with it. My bro decided to stay with Verizon and get a Voyager instead of switching to AT&T and getting an iPhone because he knew he wouldn't be able to text while driving. If you don't like using the iPhone keyboard while driving, get another phone.

18. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

WOW such venom!

You mean to tell me that most of your folks have NEVER used your iPhone while driving....RIGHT.... No phone calls made or received... No text messages made or received......

Not saying you should on a regular basis, but sometimes you have to take care of business whether you are driving or not. When that happens technology is suppose to help make things easier, not harder. That's my whole point.

Maybe it's just me and a few other poor souls who actually have to COMMUNICATE with people while driving.

Some of you folks are too funny!

19. memesmith macrumors regular

I've never texted while driving. In the UK, it's illegal to use the phone (unless handsfree) while driving, as has been stated above.

Don't do it. Its just stupid.

In other news, I don't send many texts anyhow 'cos I learned to hate doing it on an old style phone keypad. Now I have an iphone I find texting much easier.

As far as PDA style text inputs go, the iPhone predictive text makes it's keyboard my best since my (long gone, long lamented, lovely and favourite Psion 5 keyboard).

20. m477h3w macrumors 6502

You may think that 'business' as you put it is worth risking your life for, but that does not give you the right to risk other peoples.

How do you think people managed before mobile phones?!?! That is very sad that you HAVE to be available ALL the time, even whilst driving. A hands free call would be MUCH safer than texting.

I don't mean to preach but I deal with accidents every single day where people get killed through such negligence. Please wise up, nothing is worth risking your life over, and the lives of others. FULL STOP!

21. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Actually...you DONT have to communicate while driving...you just choose to and risk others by doing it.

You have the option to: Pull over and communicate
    Ignore the text/call
    Record a voice message that says if you don't answer that you are being a safe driver.
    Wait till you get to your destination and explain that you are sorry for the delay but you were being a safe driver...im sure anyone would understand.
    Or...continue doing what your doing and look forward to being the first to permenently wear an imbeded iphone in your chest.

You have lots of choices and I gurantee that you won't loose a contract or job if you explain to that individual that you were being a safe driver and replied as soon as you were able.

Just let me know when you are on the road so that I can avoid the same area.

22. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

No, but I do feel your an complete idiot if you truly believe your need to communicate is greater then others people right to be safe while driving.

Pro Tip:
    All cars have the function to allow you to pull over, before using your phone. This function should be used at all times when interaction with your iPhone is required while in charge of a motor car.

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, I agree.
    What you do then is pull over to the side of the road, and…
    take care of business…
    Is that so hard to get? :confused::confused:

24. Dagless Suspended

Dagless