Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Too much jackassery in here.

When someone asks a question, "Does X do Y," the most useless answer is "Don't do Y," does absolutely nothing for the OP.

Try answering the question that was asked, this is lost on too many people too often.

I don't have a max, but on my 8 the LED gets quite warm when doing the test the OP asked for. It's not a max, but it's at least a data point.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have an Xs MAX. I used to use the LED light on my 8+ all the time until I got my Apple Watch, now I use that as a "light" when I get up at night to take a leak... in order to help, how long OP, do you have the LED on before it hurts? I will test it on mine to see if it is the same. @wongster41

I usually also have my LED set at half brightness. You too? Or max?
[doublepost=1538683629][/doublepost]Ok, I've had the light on high for 6 mins. It is barely what I would consider "warm" to the touch - using my lips as the temperature tester. Barely warm on max brightness.

On a scale from 1 (normal temp) to 10 (painful) (5 would be very warm) ---- 2.7?

Xs MAX :/
[doublepost=1538683988][/doublepost]OK going on 12 mins now max brightness.

Testing again: Slightly more warm than last reading 6 mins ago. a 3.2 out of 10 using my scale above. (5 being very warm, 10 being painful).

-----------

I let it run for a few more mins - no change in heat.

I've ended test cuz OP said within minutes it was blazing hot? I guess my Xs MAX doesn't do the same thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: wongster41

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i left my flashlight on once on my 7 plus and my phone was hot. it didn't burn me, but it was uncomfortable in my pocket.

light gives off energy. energy = heat.
Seems like the question was about differences that have been experienced and what others might be experiencing, not a generic light and energy and heat thing, which certainly differs when it comes to different sources and different components and different amounts of energy and all those other details that play a role that is discounted and overlooked in generic statements.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have the Xs Max and to be honest I never thought to check the heat output of the flashlight. But I have done a very unscientific test (my finger is not that accurate a test) but it feels warm after 5 minutes but not uncomfortable or too hot.

Lisa

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I have a Max and the light doesn’t get insanely hot in my opinion.

If I left it on in my pocket against my leg I guess it may feel slightly uncomfortable or a little irritated.

I don’t feel like anything is wrong.
Putting my finger over the flashlight defeats the purpose so it’s not something that I’ll regularly do.

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I have an Xs MAX. I used to use the LED light on my 8+ all the time until I got my Apple Watch, now I use that as a "light" when I get up at night to take a leak... in order to help, how long OP, do you have the LED on before it hurts? I will test it on mine to see if it is the same. @wongster41

I usually also have my LED set at half brightness. You too? Or max?
[doublepost=1538683629][/doublepost]Ok, I've had the light on high for 6 mins. It is barely what I would consider "warm" to the touch - using my lips as the temperature tester. Barely warm on max brightness.

On a scale from 1 (normal temp) to 10 (painful) (5 would be very warm) ---- 2.7?

Xs MAX :/
[doublepost=1538683988][/doublepost]OK going on 12 mins now max brightness.

Testing again: Slightly more warm than last reading 6 mins ago. a 3.2 out of 10 using my scale above. (5 being very warm, 10 being painful).

-----------

I let it run for a few more mins - no change in heat.

I've ended test cuz OP said within minutes it was blazing hot? I guess my Xs MAX doesn't do the same thing?

Thank you for testing it for me, mine gets pretty hot after leaving it on for 1 min, I guess it's my unit. Going to the Apple store tomorrow and try it on a floor model before talking to a rep about it. Thanks guys.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.