My "Issue" with the shattered glass situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkrutch, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jkrutch macrumors regular

I'm really sick of seeing the BS responses issued to people who dropped (or whatever) their phones and ended up with shattered glass.

Accidents happen....however is unimportant. I seriously doubt anyone dropped their new IP4 intentionally. Everyone should stop the "be more careful" crap and holier than thou BS and focus on the fact that Apple touts the new "Helicopter windshield" glass as super-strong. It shouldn't be breaking so easily. Why isn't anyone focusing on that?

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The glass is strong but the stronger it's made the more brittle. There is no glass that is super strong, super thin, and not brittle.

3. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

So weaker glass would have been better? Less brittle?

4. jkrutch thread starter macrumors regular

I absolutely love my IP4 and I'm as careful as possible. My 3G was dropped a few times in 18 months....things happen. My problem is the rude people on here and the fact that Apple gives the impression that the glass is stronger than it really is.....

5. 8mpg macrumors regular

I doesnt matter how strong they advertise it to be. Things break.... it is not Apples problem.

6. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

People are upset because it should be no surprise that when you drop something it can break. Keep in mind that iPhone 4 is very durable and usually survives drops (survived a drop of 9+ feet as reported in another thread).

BUT if you choose to use iPhone 4 without a case or bumper AND you drop it in just the right way (glass takes full impact) then it can break. This is not a flaw, not a defect, not a disadvantage, it's just a REALITY of using a cell phone.

7. flukewurm macrumors member

+10000000

apple advertised this phone to make it sound as if it was virtually unbreakable with the claims of industrial strength glass. it is getting really irksome to read "OF COURSE it will break if you drop it.. it's glass, dummy"... cell phones are meant to be built to be durable.. they WILL be dropped from time to time by most consumers. the majority of cellular telephones on the market can take a BEATING - so why can't the iphone be engineered as such?

YES there are 1.7 million or so of these phones out there so some will break.

YES it is an expensive computer surrounded in glass so be careful with it.

but holy moly it is unsettling to see picture after picture of shattered glass being posted on these forums.

this wasn't supposed to happen. :(

8. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

WOW seriously? SO the Space Shuttle glass should shatter when it hits earth with this theory.

9. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

The new glass doesn't look brittle to me!

[​IMG]

In my opinion, the glass is breaking when it is struck at the edge. All of the photos I've seen show the impact spot at an edge, and spreading from there.

Get a Bumper.

Mark

10. big0mar macrumors regular

Please, elaborate on this non-scratch, non-brittle material you speak of :rolleyes:

11. james92se macrumors 6502a

The glass IS super strong. The problem is all 4 corners and edges of the glass are all exposed on the iPhone 4. When the phone drops it's most likely to land on the corner or edge of the glass, meaning it's going to probably crack/break

12. big0mar macrumors regular

The glass on the iPhone4 is no more exposed than the 3GS.

You guys realize the edges are made of rubber/plastic, right?

13. ultravioletfly macrumors regular

Agreed. And for those who think the iPhone 4 glass is lower in quality than gorilla glass in other devices out there, take a look at the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuWRB43HCE

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm sick of the posts, "I dropped my iPhone and it broke!."

Agree, people shouldn't be "holier than thou," because, other than a few goofs in YouTube, few drop their iPhone intentionally. But just as the owner should not be blamed for dropping the phone Apple should not be blamed for it breaking.

When one drops electronics not outfitted for a war zone one should have an expectation it might not survive. We've all been there, heart pumping as we go to retrieve our injured baby. Will it work? A camera, an iPod, a portable DVD player, etc. History is littered w/ fragile electronics that have not survived a 4 ft drop. Yet people are acting like the iP4 is the first breakable device in modern history.

15. mantan macrumors 68000

As somebody said previously, a cell phone is tool. It’s going to be used in public places. It’s going to be used in crowded places with people. It’s going to be used around the house in everyday situations. During the course of normal use, you have to expect a cell phone to be accidently dropped at some point. Having to treat a cell phone like a Faberge egg isn’t realistic.

I think a lot of the ‘be more careful’ crowd are using a natural human trait of ‘blaming the victim’ for their role in the incident to somehow make themselves feel safer that ‘it won’t happen to them.’

The iPhone 4 isn’t the first high dollar cell phone out there. I’m sure the incidents that caused the iPhone 4 to shatter have happened with Blackberries, Androids and previous iPhones. The difference is a shattered glass backing is a lot more dramatic than the scratch or scuff you’d get with those other devices.

I also think Apple inadvertently contributed to this problem by not having enough bumpers available and keeping the specs in Scrooge McDuck’s vault. The lack of quality cases out there have a lot more people going ‘naked’ than really want to….

16. jkrutch thread starter macrumors regular

You understood my point....most just don't get it. Mobile phones need to be durable...mobile phones are much more subject to being dropped than almost any other consumer good. Apple should have engineered it accordingly and it doesn't appear it was.

17. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I'ma go drop a helicopter from a building and see if the windshield breaks, brb.

18. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I agree 100%. Apple showed off the glass as being super strong and bottom line is it's not! When you show a video of glass bending and not breaking, then you are setting a very high expectation for strength, even the occasional drop. Not every one likes to put a case on their phone and Apple should not build a phone that requires one(signal issue / glass breakage issue).

Let's face it, "us" fan boys need to take our blinders off and see that Apple has some issues at hand with this phone.

Signal strength, proximity sensor and durability are in the forefront.

19. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Yeah you're right, the fact that if you run this thing caseless and drop it from 4+ feet it has a small chance of breaking is a defect. Quick, let's recall iPhone 4 and every cell phone ever made.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

See, here's my thing, if you're careless enough to drop any phone (read: I dropped my 3Gs 15 times, OMGWTFBBQ this thing cracked after one), you probably should pick a different phone that isn't 80% glass. Just sayin'

21. ultravorx macrumors member

This picture only shows the front glass, the back glass may be a totally different type of glass, that why mine chipped, then cracked.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=954585

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

Exactly. As soon as I saw that glass bending in the promo video, my first thought was well, that's great that it bends so much...but it probably has nothing to do with what happens when you drop the phone. The good news is that you aren't going to break it by sitting on it or touching it way, way too hard.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Question is: Is the front glass on the iP4 more prone to breakage or scratching than that on the 3G?

24. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

The problem is that you're only seeing the people who dropped it and broke it. That's because no one who drops it and doesn't break it comes on here and starts a thread about it. It's a biased sample. There are 2million+ iPhone 4s out there right now. For all you know, there could be thousands of severe drops that survived perfectly well. But those unlucky few whose phone lands just perfectly on the corner take a whole bunch of pictures and complain about it for days.

25. myjay610 macrumors regular

That's what she said.