Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Not that anyone really cares, but I thought I would post what packages I have installed, with short descriptions, and use on my iPhone 4.

I consider all of them necessary. I have removed all packages that I was not using or deemed junk.

S-

---------------------------------------------------------------

Installed Jailbreak Packages

Free Packages:

Activator --> activates various packages with gestures, status bar taps, and hardware button presses
afc2add --> needed for iPhone Explorer to work
AppLinks --> automatically creates shortcuts for all AppStore apps for quick access
asVibra 2 for 4.0 --> in silent mode, it gives 3 distinct vibrations
AT&T Carrier Logo iPhone 4 --> replaces standard carrier text with logo
attachment= for mailto: --> required by Rename II
Backgrounder --> allows complete control of how backgrounding is handled
BrowserChanger --> changes the default browser application (Atomic Browser is awesome)
Categories --> provides folder-like functionality with the ability to select icon for folder
CyDelete --> makes it possible to delete Jailbreak apps just like App Store apps
Cydia --> the Jailbreak installer app
Five Icon Dock --> Allows up to 5 icons in the dock
Five Icon Switcher --> shows five apps instead of 4 in the task switcher
Gawk --> GNU awk - a text processing language typically for command line use
HTC Plugin for LockInfo (Native) --> LockInfo plugin that display the time and weather info
iAdKiller --> kills iAds
intelliStatusBarIcons --> status bar icon shared library (MyWi requires it)
iPod Widget --> iPod play/pause toggle for SBSettings
iWipe Cache --> clears springboard cache (useful for WinterBoard)
KeepAwake --> SBSettings toggle to keep WiFi awake even if device goes into standby mode
less --> a better version of "more" for command line use
libstatusbar --> status bar icon shared library (Backgrounder and LockInfo require it)
LibWeather --> shared library for weather access (HTC Plugin requires it)
MxTube --> YouTube video downloader
NoSpot --> removes Spotlight page from view
OpenSSH --> secure remote access protocol for terminal and sftp sessions
PDF Patch --> protects against PDF exploit in iOS 4.0.1
Remove Background --> configurable app that removes apps from task switcher
Remove Background SBSettings --> toggle that activates Remove Background
Remove Recents --> removes apps from task switcher that don't actually multitask
Rename II --> rename both App Store and Cydia apps
Rotation Inhibitor --> rotation enable/disable toggle
RSS Plugin for LockInfo (Native) --> RSS feed plugin for LockInfo
SBSettings --> a pop-up control panel for various toggles and actions
SpringFlash --> Activator-based LED flashlight
Springflash SBSettings --> SpringFlash toggle for SBSettings
top --> command line process watching tool
USB Drive --> USB mass storage emulation
VI IMproved --> command line text editor
WinterBoard --> flexible theme controller

Commercial Packages Purchased:

biteSMS --> improved SMS app
CategoriesSB --> enhances Categories app performance and feature set
iFile --> iOS file manager and viewer
iSmart Dialer --> enhances built-in Phone app
LockInfo --> lock screen customizer
My3G --> makes apps believe they are on WiFi when on a 3G network
MyWi 4.0 --> tethering app
PkgBackup --> automates package backup and installation
PlayAwake --> allows use of iPod music as an alarm clock sound
Popup Blocker --> blocks (configurable) various system popup messages
SBOrganizer --> allows reordering of springboard icons (PkgBackup uses it to backup layout)
ScreenDimmer --> controls screen dimming and backlight (configurable)

Commercial Packages Purchased but not Installed:

InfiniFolders --> removes 12 icon folder limit

Packages removed but might need or want later:

FolderCloser --> automatically closes folder after app launch
FontSwap --> swaps system fonts for other fonts (not fully functional under iOS 4.x)
MobilTerminal 426 --> terminal program (removed because I have iSSH)
SwitcherPlus --> enhanced task switcher

Commercial Packages to consider:

Xpandr --> text expander

Font (Installed):

Sansation --> great looking font - http://www.iphoneruler.net/

Repos:

http://apt.iphone-storage.de/ --> asVibra 2 for 4.0
http://david.ashman.com/beta/ --> LockInfo, Popup Blocker
http://neoziro.com/cydia/ --> iNzoSB SBSettings Theme
http://apt.dmytro.me/ --> USB Drive
http://www.bitesms.com/cydia/beta5.0/ --> biteSMS 5.0 beta

Repos (not in use):

http://cydia.myrepospace.com/Tw1zTiD-Chris21/ --> Rename II
http://cydia.xsellize.com/ --> MobileTerminal beta for iOS 4
http://www.switcherplus.com/cydia/spbeta1.0/ --> SwitcherPlus beta

WinterBoard Themes Enabled:

Remove Wallpaper Gradient --> theme name says it all
Categories --> my custom theme to allow use of Retina icons with Categories
Blue Battery --> changes status bar battery from green to blue
bitesms_by_nim --> a biteSMS theme
LockInfo_Stock_Retina_icons --> replaces LockInfo plugin grey icons with color Retina icons
iOS4 Rainbow Signal Bars Theme --> signal bars in color
SMS Bubbles --> changes the SMS bubble colors
Tweet SMS Tones --> a new set of SMS tones , including standard Blackberry tone
LISport_G_Blue --> LockInfo theme
White Icon Labels --> makes the icons labels white text

SBSettings Themes:

iNzoSB --> Retina theme for SBSettings

iUser4Lyfe

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
My iPhone 4 runs perfect. No battery life issues and it still has plenty of memory left (usually over 330MB).

S-

Damn man that's crazy. I using a stock iPhone 4 running 4.1 with pretty heavy usage. I don't really pay attention to what apps are in the task switcher but I'm usually at 100mb free RAM. Crazy you have triple that.

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
Really nice list, saw a few on there that I didn't have like browser changer and remove recents.
I couldn't find USB drive though, what source is that on?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I really wish there was a way to see which apps were actually backgrounded and which are just in a saved stated.

I just bumped my memory from 140 to over 300 just by closing all the background crap.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Damn man that's crazy. I using a stock iPhone 4 running 4.1 with pretty heavy usage. I don't really pay attention to what apps are in the task switcher but I'm usually at 100mb free RAM. Crazy you have triple that.

Well, I have Backgrounder setup so the Global action is to not background so all apps quit when switched out. I have Overrides setup for the few apps I actually want to background. These all use the Native backgrounding method. I have no apps that use the Backgrounder method.

I was quite surprised how few apps I actually want to run in the background. So far, it is my music playing apps and Navigon. That's it. This keeps a lot of memory free. That wasn't my goal, by the way. Just a side effect.

S-

P.S. Remove Recents is necessary for this to work cleanly.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for posting this - it is good information. I have to make a list at some point so I can upgrade once the a new JB is launched. I also need to get PkgBackup to make it a little easier.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I really wish there was a way to see which apps were actually backgrounded and which are just in a saved stated.

I just bumped my memory from 140 to over 300 just by closing all the background crap.

RAM doesn't matter. The point of Apple's implementation is that you're not supposed to worry about it.

There is no point in having a bunch of RAM if you're not going to use it. There is no speed difference between having 140 MB of RAM vs 300. There is no battery difference. There is no difference, period.

If you don't want to start at the beginning of an app the next time, you have two options:

1.) You can manually go back to the root menu of whatever app you're in, Settings for example. (Please note, if you think this is too arduous...I can almost guarantee it will take less than like 4 seconds)

2.) You can install Backgrounder, and hold down the home button to quit the app.

But again...it's pointless.

Anyway...OP I like your setup.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I think I may have to give Backgrounder a try...I realize now that I use very few backgrounded apps. But then again, there's often times when I need to switch back and forth between email and safari and messaging and whatnot several times when trying to copy some information around. I like that you set those specific apps to native backgrounding only, that definitely makes the most sense.

What is iSSH? Is it a terminal replacement or something else?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010

It's just a GUI SSH client that supports tunneling and VNC.. Something the other ones like TouchTerm don't.

You can use it(and the other SSH clients) to replace MobileTerminal just by connecting to "localhost"

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I think I may have to give Backgrounder a try...I realize now that I use very few backgrounded apps. But then again, there's often times when I need to switch back and forth between email and safari and messaging and whatnot several times when trying to copy some information around. I like that you set those specific apps to native backgrounding only, that definitely makes the most sense.

My primary reason for using Backgrounder with Remove Recents is to unclutter the task switcher. It does make it easier to switch between the apps because only apps you need to see are in the task switcher.

iSSH is a paid for App Store SSH terminal app I bought long ago before I ever performed a Jailbreak. I use it to access my Unix hosts if there is an emergency when I am out and about. It is much nicer than Mobile Terminal. But, I would be using Mobile Terminal if I had not already purchased iSSH.

S-

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago

More free ram isn't advantageous in any way, shape, or form in iOS.

It's a delusion.

iOS actually handles memory very efficiently. apps backgrounded will stay in memory until more is needed by an app in the foreground.

Usually in computing, free memory is wasted memory. It's not going to slow you down or take more power to have less ram free.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
More free ram isn't advantageous in any way, shape, or form in iOS.

It's a delusion.

iOS actually handles memory very efficiently. apps backgrounded will stay in memory until more is needed by an app in the foreground.

Usually in computing, free memory is wasted memory. It's not going to slow you down or take more power to have less ram free.

Nobody said it was. As I said, my primary reason for using Backgrounder with Remove Recents is to unclutter the task switcher. More free RAM is a side effect, not a goal.

S-

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
awesome post!! some of these I didnt know about but they interest me very much. Thanks! :D

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
wow that's alot haha can't wait for this 4.1 jailbreak to come out as mine came 4.0.2 out of the box :p... it sucks without jb haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.