my macbook decides to factory reset (virus?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cloakone, Jun 14, 2007.

1. cloakone macrumors member

i dont know what happened, it was a lonely night, and i was on firefox, i was going on gmail.com to send an attachment which was a file on my desktop, for some reason i couldnt see it on that small attachment dialoge, so then i "quit" firefox restart it again, suddenly it says if i would like make this my default web browser, and im like that only happens when u first run an application. so then all my bookmarks are gone, and im like this is weird, so then i decide to go to my documents, and suddenly there "0" files <--- now im Fu*kin scared like what is going on with my sexy mac, so i decide to restart my macbook. and what i see pop up is the default wallpaper/dock/icon/ everything is weird all my settings !!! reseteed to factory default, my documents still gone, finally find it under the hdd, but now its still acting up, how should fix this problem??

before this all happened i did decide to download a safari beta hoping it would better then the orginal safari, and i did install this iS..... a .flv converter i hope those did cause a problem, can it be there might been a bug/VIRUS!!! on one of these applications, or is my mac screwed

how would go upon fixing this issue

every applicaiton if open, photoshop/word/logic its as if i never opened them, but like my hdd is the same space as last time... im SCURDDDD

please someone help find a cure for my sexy macbook

and is there a way to go back to an earlier restore point

and yeah all my stuff saved on teh desktop is NO WHERE to be found.

help me peepppsss!!! :eek:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Okay-- can you try to use halfway proper grammar? It'll help; thanks.

Did you accidentally create a new user or something? Open your hard drive, and go to the Users folder. Do you see your name there?

What did you install, aside from the Safari beta? Was the beta before or after bad juju started happening? What's this "iS" plugin-- where was it from, what does it do, etc?

It isn't a virus or a bug, just sounds like a very big user error. :)

4. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

um i did try to rename my current user to cloakone---> to mudassar but when i go to my hdd, it shows the home icon with the name cloakone and a folder with mudassar so i deleted mudassar, so what should i do now? restart???

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Details on this 'renaming' please? Sounds like we might have a winner....

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

...if its still in the trash... get it out! if not... RIP :rolleyes:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The link I posted outlines a pretty quick method for getting things back to normal. :)

8. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

?? details on this renaming please, what does that mean? so i deleted that new renamed folder, now what should do ? restart???

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Did you delete the right folder? ...Are you sure?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Put all folders back where you found them. Don't restart anything just yet. Use the link I provided to get your Home folder back to normal. :)

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Follow the steps given in the link by mad jew, above. You may have screwed it up by deleting mudassar, was there anything in it when you deleted it (if you didn't check did it take a long time to trash.) If you haven't emptied your trash I would get the mudassar folder back.

12. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

holy ****en shittt!!!! i deleted it and tossed it no longer in trash!!!! but the folder i deleted just had the new name and 0 files cant i just "re make" it

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

cloackone You committed the Cardinal Sin of OS X™: Renaming your home folder. Follow the instructions mad jew gave to you on this and DO NOT restart and DO NOT empty the Trash.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Go read the link given by mad jew, calm down, don't act so fast.

15. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Read: he already has

16. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

the problem is i emptied out the trash but the new folder "mudassar'" had nothing it it,

so please help me

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Click It Now

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, let's slow it down a little. You say the folder you deleted only had a few files in it and was very very small, right? Are you sure of this?

If this is the case then your old Home folder must still be somewhere on your drive. Use an app like WhatSize from an administrator account to see where your space is being used. This might hint at possible locations for your amazing travelling Home folder. I don't have much faith in finding it, but if you're sure you haven't deleted a massive folder recently from your Trash then it's gotta be somewhere around the place. :)

Maybe take a screenshot of your Accounts folder and the respective sizes of all items within it too.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you read the link,

Go to your Users Folder
    Are there two folders in there, one named Cloakone the other Mudassar?
    Is this where you deleted Mudassar from?

20. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

ok, im slowing down. There are 2 folders under user, one which is named Mudassar which i deleted and emptied it had "0" files. There is another one with the Home Icon and it has the old name on it Cloakone. so what i did was since i deleted Mudassar folder, i made a new folder right click new folder named it Mudassar. so where am I in this situation?

21. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

yeah i deleted mudassar but it was like a normal folder 0 files the old one was named cloakone and it has the home icon

22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Does the old Cloakone folder contain all your data/documents etc. etc. ?

23. cloakone thread starter macrumors member

yes it does, except pictures for some reason

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well is Cloakone large enough to be your Home folder? :)

25. cloakone thread starter macrumors member