My macbook pro came with a different color?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JJBro1, Aug 2, 2009.

1. JJBro1 macrumors regular

instead of an all black outlined around the screen that you see in the macbook here http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html mine came with a silver outline, how come? Is that because i got the anti glare? I thought all that was as some film that they put over the screen?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

You accidentally chose the Anti-Glare option.

3. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

no i chose it on purpose but now im regretting it since all it is is a film that gives you alot of air bubbles and the glossy one looks a lot better. Is there anyway i can change it?

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

What?? Film with air bubbles? Show proof of that please? That is a glass matte screen.

5. MacYost macrumors member

Where did you order it? The anti glare option is not a film, but a true LED panel with matte finishing and no glass panel in front of it.

6. moral-hazard macrumors regular

If there is a protective film on the LCD, pull it off :)

7. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

the apple rep told me that it was just a film and within the first week of me getting it what appeared to be air bubbles started popping up. I'll take a pic soon as i get the charger for my iphone back. BTW is there a big difference between the anti glare and the glossy?

i bought it online, the apple rep told me it was a film. If its not a film how am i getting air bubbles?

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The antiglare screen isn't a film.

That's probably the protective film that ships with the unit to keep the screen clean before you use it...lol

You peel the film off and then use the computer. If the film is really attached then call them back, but it should come off easily like a static-cling sticker.

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If it's a sliver outlining, its a Matte screen with no film. Call Apple and see if they can fix it.

10. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

im pretty sure i took that off already, there's nothing on the screen that looks like something can be peeled off.

could i call apple and see if they can give me a glossy one instead?

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just call them and see if you can return your current Macbook Pro for a glossy one. I think you have to be under the 14 day regret period, and I think you have to pay a restocking fee.

12. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

ya i got this over a month ago :(

13. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Oh I see, just call Apple and see what they can do.

14. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

alot of ppl have been complaining that the glossy is awful when in sunlight, is it THAT bad?

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

there shouldn't be any "bubbles" take a nice res. pic of the "bubbles" u might need to take the mbp back for replacement as that sounds like a manufacturing mishap.

i don't own a mbp but i doubt it is as bad as some people say. its mostly hype.

16. MacYost macrumors member

This definitely sounds like a warranty case. If the matte finish is actually a film, then it should not bubble after a month. So you should get a replacement. Although the replacement will probably be a none glare MacBook again.

You can see the difference between a glossy and a non glare screen in this picture:
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/03/17_mbp_new03.jpg
    from this review:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/04/macbook-pro-17-inch-unibody-review

There are a lot of other posts about the glossy screens on this forum.

17. macbook123 macrumors 68000

It's not bad, it's ridiculous. THe glassy screen is close to unusable unless in a dark room. To the OP, your "bubbles" have nothing to do with the matte screen, which is NOT just a stick-on. Pretty sure you'll regret it if you return it for a glossy one.

18. andrew12090 macrumors member

Where do you use your laptop because the glossy screen is not unusable in an all but dark room. It is fine. the only problem is when a bright light source is behind you.

19. Griff110 macrumors member

Agree with that ^^^^
    Personally I love the gloss screen, but I have come over to the MBP from a Toshiba laptop with a gloss screen so i am used to it.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry, but this is nonsense. The glossy glass surface is not even close to unusable for other than a dark room. I have the 13" MBP and it's fine. If it was unusable, Apple wouldn't be selling them. What does a person do when there is a lot of light reflection in the background? Tilt the screen slightly. Works every time. The glossy looks better anyway, the matte can appear washed out at times and it presents a strong glare from when light shines on it. Neither the glossy nor the matte screen is the perfect solution but each one is certainly usable in any light.
    Anyways, this is not what the OP's thread is about and I'm sorry if I got caught in the matte vs. glossy debate.

21. goMac macrumors 603

The glossy is simply a glass panel that sits in front of the screen. The glass panel is what adds that black rim around the edge.

In since you got the non-glossy version, it shipped without the glass panel, so you don't have the black border.

Anti-glare is not a film. I've owned anti-glare machines before.

22. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I don't use it anymore, I sold it and got a matte 17" ;-)

23. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

24. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I'm finding all of this little hard to believe. I'm not sure if I believe any of What the OP is saying. We all know that Apple's matte screens are not films, and are of great quality.