My MacBook Pro is dead :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crenz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

This morning, out of sudden, my MacBook Pro (15", 2007 model) decided not to start up anymore :-(. When trying to switch it on, I can hear the SuperDrive starting up and the sleep LED comes on (and stays on). After that, nothing happens - no grey screen, nothing.

The guys at the Apple Store tried to run diagnostics and do a PRAM reset (which I had already tried), but to no avail - the MacBook just won't react. That was about all the guy did before he gave a quick diagnosis of logic board failure...

I have a few questions that hopefully the MacRumors community can help me with:

1) Is there any way for me to verify that it is indeed the Logic Board that failed? I tried removing the memory chips and running the MacBook Pro only with one 1 GB of RAM (to check whether one of the chips is fried), but of course I wouldn't be able to tell if both are fried this way. Are there any other failures that can cause the same symptoms?

2) Is it normal for the Logic Board to be so damn expensive? They quoted me RMB 11430 (I'm in China, that's about US$1700). For that, I can already get a new laptop!

Thanks for the help!

2. simsaladimbamba

It is normal to be expensive, but not that expensive: http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts...m_term=macbook_pro_15"_core_2_duo_model_a1211
    or look here for more guides and parts for logic board replacement: http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro
    But those parts can be had for cheaper via eBay I suppose.

Btw, to identify your Mac: http://www.ifixit.com/info/ID-your-Mac

I don't know if these help, but maybe they do:

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'd be pitching a fit about the whole NVIDIA issue in the hopes that they may give me a break...

4. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Wow, that was fast! Thanks to your help, simsaladimbamba, I found the correct logic board for my Mac. At US$700, it's still not a bargain, but much cheaper. I still hate the thought of "what if I throw 700 bucks at it and it still won't boot..", though.

greytmom, what NVIDIA issue are you talking about? Is that anything that Apple might consider relevant for a three-year old laptop? My experience with the guys in the Apple Store here in Shanghai is that they are very polite, but very firm.

5. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

That's the only thing that scares me about buying a new MacBook Pro. My MacBook is almost 5 years old and has been perfect but I've read in more than a couple of places about MBP's logic boards just dropping dead after a couple of years. Even if you have Applecare this example would most likely be outside of the coverage period and the logic boards are so expensive it's not worth replacing in most instances. Just how commonplace is this issue?

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Some info here...

have no idea if this is what is happening to you, but what the heck, it's worth checking into.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

To jump in here...

The Nvidia 8600M is a known fail-point and if you have that graphics card and it has failed Apple may be able to sort it under warranty even if your machine is well past its warranty.
    They extended warranty coverage for that item as it is known to be defective.
    I think this also varies from country to country too tho.

8. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Sure enough, my laptop has that NVidia 8600M GT :mad:. Thanks for the information, I'll do some research.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Whatever you pay, compare it to the price of a refurbished MacBook from the Apple Store, which comes with a brand new and much better battery, brand new cables, brand new display (which is probably brighter than the one you have), a brand new hard drive and DVD drive (they were out eventually), brand new keyboard and case, and a year warranty. Paying $700 to repair a 2007 MBP seems rather pointless to me.

10. carlgo macrumors 68000

Take it to the Apple store and tell them that you think it has the famous graphics chip issue.

They have a tester that will confirm that, but only if the computer chimes on. At my local store, they replace the board on site, same or next day.

If it doesn't chime, then they will give you and estimate for $300 or so and send it out to Texas where they have more testing stuff and staff.

This is the better option because they fix everything that prevents it from working (that is related of course).

In a few days it will be back, everything fixed and for free. You can opt to have it sent to your home or pick it up at the store.

My genius was helpful, but was new and defensive. Luckily, the supervisor guy was nearby and told both of us about sending it out and that he recommended that strategy because it would for sure come back fixed.

Some employees may not be aware of this. You may have to ask for supervisors or go to another store or even an authorized independent Apple dealer.

My 15" '07 MBP is so nice and new now that I treated it to more RAM and a bigger and faster HD. I'm even going to buy a few shiny new keys to make it look young again. It is now far better than when it was new!

It is one reason I like Apple products.

11. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Thanks for the help, all.

I found an Apple KB article related to this: TS2377. However, it sound like in this case, the computer should boot up, only the graphics card does not work?
    Anyway, I will go to the store and ask them about it, because this sounds too good:

If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.​

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Do just that....MBP 15" i5....

13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yup.. If it IS that problem they will ALMOST certainly repair it for FREE.. Mine was doen as well as a friends (mine was within the warranty period, his was not!!)

Both repairs were as 'quick and painless' as they could be, 1-2 days .. Good Luck!!

=-)

14. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

There was another post on these boards recently about a similar situation whereby the mbp would not boot at all. B/c it wouldn't boot, the genius said it wasn't the nvidia issue and thus they would not replace it free of charge.

But i would certainly take it back and even if they don't replace the logic board for free I would ask for a depot repair for $300. I did this myself and it was well worth it.

15. kunal2sh macrumors newbie

Try baking the logic board. it is worth the try if apple is not going to fix it. if you need a link to a guide let me know!

16. crenz thread starter macrumors 6502a

crenz

Guys, I owe you a beer. If you ever come to Shanghai, let me know!

After the input from this thread, I went back to the Apple Store Pudong, talked to a knowledgeable genius that immediately told me "it could be the graphics card" even before I could show her the Apple article I had printed out. She promised me to see what she can do.

I left the laptop with her (after asking her to remove the harddrive) and went to dinner, at which I received a call telling me: "Your MacBook has been repaired. You can fetch it tomorrow". While having a new laptop feels great, I can tell you that "I just managed to _not_ have to spend EUR2000/US$2000 on a new laptop" feels almost as great and is much less expensive!

The next day, the same lady told me that the issue was actually not related to the graphics chip, but they decided to swap the logic board for free anyway, "as an exception" :D. It seems that persistence is key in dealing with geniuses...

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your help. Oh, and kunal2sh, even though I don't need to bake the logic board now, your comment lead me to this amazing story: Part 1, Part 2.

17. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
    Apple customer service can be awesome sometimes :)