Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I really feel for you and good luck when phoning Applecare. I hope you're taking note of who you talk to at Apple and I would def. contact Trading Standards. I don't know which Apple store you went to but if you're based in London and its not too much of a trek, go to the flagship store on Regents Street. It's always pretty packed but book an appointment and talk to one of the guys. My experience has always been really good there. If you're still not satisfied after contacting Applecare and/or Regents st, try getting an independent assessment from an authorised reseller such as Cancom over in Kensington. Good luck:)

Thank you mate, I went to the stoer in Kingston and its by far the worse Apple experience Ive ever had. Im based in South London, Raynes Park I thought the Kingston store would be closest but Ill just jump on to the tube at Morden and get to oxford circus then, only an hours journey.

I think Ill contact Trading Standards after if Apple fail to deal with the situation, but thanks for the advice though.

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Very sorry to hear about the treatment you got from the Apple Store. If it's any consolation, the attitude of these so-called "Geniuses" is the same here in Canada. I don't understand the attitude-- you work at Apple, not Hermes; drop the attitude already!

I would highly recommend ringing up Apple Customer Service to let them know about the problems: I've always found them to be much more patient and willing to help.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Very sorry to hear about the treatment you got from the Apple Store. If it's any consolation, the attitude of these so-called "Geniuses" is the same here in Canada. I don't understand the attitude-- you work at Apple, not Hermes; drop the attitude already!

I would highly recommend ringing up Apple Customer Service to let them know about the problems: I've always found them to be much more patient and willing to help.

I know what you mean mate, its like for every repair made, it comes out of their own pocket?

I always thought that it was people like us who give in our Mac's for repairs that actually keep these Genius' employed? Strange? But True :D

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Just got off the phone with Applecare

They've booked me an appointment with the Regent St store, hopefully theyll repair everything their and give me a new bottom case and lid as they've scratched/dinged it up

But no word from sjobs@apple.com? hmmmm:confused:

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008

They've booked me an appointment with the Regent St store, hopefully theyll repair everything their and give me a new bottom case and lid as they've scratched/dinged it up

You know that Steve Jobs is currently taking some time to be with his family? He's taking some time off... you must have read that... so I doubt he will be getting back to you really quick.... Once his people read the email - they might give you a call. it all depends on the tone of your email.

Why not post here what you emailed him?

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
You know that Steve Jobs is currently taking some time to be with his family? He's taking some time off... you must have read that... so I doubt he will be getting back to you really quick.... Once his people read the email - they might give you a call. it all depends on the tone of your email.

Why not post here what you emailed him?

But I doubt Steveo reads the emails anyway, his team or CR must read them, its been nearly 5 days since i emailed

buddhaface

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
Hmm 75C is really damn high for a laptop. It might be normal for the Macbook, but I don't know how you guys can (or should) tolerate it. You definitely would feel 75C on your lap! You're just 25C away from boiling water! Hell, 75C would boil water in Tibet.

My HP business tablet (2710p) with the integrated Intel X3100 idles at 32C and never gets past 50C on 100% CPU load while charging. Even my MBP (with the faulty GPU) idles at around 45-50C.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

They don't reply to every email. If you want to get into Customer Relations, call them up yourself.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Well Just got back from Apple Store Regent Street, as I was directed to go there by Applecare, however, now the Apple store Regent Street is saying go back to the Kingston store where I origanally got the Mac repaired

Serioulsy, Apple is wasting my time here, they couldnt find an appointment early enough so the next available date for Kingston store is Sunday!

Im scared their going to say why its taken me so long to bring it back, but Applecare did give me a ref number, can I use that and say they directed me to regent st first but they said I had to come back to Kingston?

Pls help!!

HamzaB

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Well Just got back from Apple Store Regent Street, as I was directed to go there by Applecare, however, now the Apple store Regent Street is saying go back to the Kingston store where I origanally got the Mac repaired

Serioulsy, Apple is wasting my time here, they couldnt find an appointment early enough so the next available date for Kingston store is Sunday!

Im scared their going to say why its taken me so long to bring it back, but Applecare did give me a ref number, can I use that and say they directed me to regent st first but they said I had to come back to Kingston?

Pls help!!

HamzaB

I just wouldent put up with Regent St sending me back across London !!!

I would have insisted politely, but very firmly that they replace my faulty MB or i wouldent leave the store.........

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I know mate, I live in Wimbledon so getting on the Tube to Morden, change at Stockwell for Victoria line to Oxford Circus takes 1hour!

Then to be told to go back home book appointment for Kingston store was just disrespectful, I was thinking of staying and arguing but I though leave it, If it goes bad again at the Kingston store again then Ill definatly be on the phone to Trading Standards and Apple customer relations asking politely for a replacement Blackbook

But Im scared the Kingston store wil try to pin this on me since its been like a week since I got the (re)paired Macbook back

Stachelsk

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I love my 4,1 MacBook, with a few exceptions.

The fact that your MacBook is shutting down leads me to believe you have a logic board issue. I might be wrong, but I wanna say that your MacBook is on its last leg.

I'd have to agree with Apple on account of user damage to the keyboard and the bezel. I've had mine for a year now, and I have no such cracks. I knew about the problem with the lid and it causing cracks on the edge of the MacBook, so I just take my time and close it carefully. You can see marks on the keyboard where the lid rests, but no cracks.

The only thing I can really complain about is how easily the polycarbonate case scratches. But as soon as I saw how easy it scratches, I bought an Incase Hardshell and stopped worrying. The plastic palmrests don't seem to stain like older MacBook revisions, but they do get somewhat distorted overtime. The hardcase protects the MacBook well and I don't have anything going inwards on the left side like you described.

As for heat, my MacBook used to get hot. What I ended up doing was opening it up, cleaning off Apple's cheap silicone paste, lap the heatsink smooth with 2000 grit sand paper, and apply some diamond-based thermal material. I also purchased CoolBook (highly recommended, it's a steal for $10) and set the max voltage to 0.95v. Now on full load (two instances of yes > /dev/null), I never break 65C, ever. On idle/web browsing/etc., my MacBook clocks it down to 800MHz thanks to CoolBook and sits at a cool 40C or just below. All in all, it was around $20.00 to lower temps down to slightly above what I'd expect to see for a desktop.

As far as repairing it goes, you can either keep trying to complain to Apple, or you can repair it yourself or have somebody do it for you. The components are cheap enough if you look in the right places (eBay, etc.)

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I've thought about opening it up but doesn't that void warranty?

Also, I've taken really good care of my Mac and close the lid gently, I have never slammed it or anything

If apple do another pigs ear job of repairing it then I'm simply going to ask for a replacement. But we'll see I've got the top genius ringing me on Saturday so hopfully matters will be resolved

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Call AppleCare and have them transfer you to a tier 2 customer support agent. Explain to him that you are tired of being pushed around back and forth between stores, having Genius' tell you its your fault, when it could not be. Explain to him that you wanted your computer fixed in the beginning but seeing this disgusting service and how you've been treated you want to be compensated for having your time being wasted and being pushed around. Im pretty sure they will fix it or may just give you a new macbook as a replacement. Just call AppleCare and have them transfer you to a tier 2 customer support agent.

I hope it helps, and keep us posted.

Stachelsk

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I've thought about opening it up but doesn't that void warranty?

Also, I've taken really good care of my Mac and close the lid gently, I have never slammed it or anything

If apple do another pigs ear job of repairing it then I'm simply going to ask for a replacement. But we'll see I've got the top genius ringing me on Saturday so hopfully matters will be resolved

They have no way of knowing whether it was opened or not as far as I'm concerned. As long as you don't break anything or leave fingerprint residue on the bottom of the keyboard/trackpad assembly, you're fine.

Good luck with your issues. Make sure you mention the fact that your Mac is 'shutting off' mysteriously even couple weeks... that can't possibly be user damage and a replacement of the logic board ($$$$$) or some other part (under warranty) is in order.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Just Rang Apple Customer relations, ask for tier 2 support, but the nice woman asked me to tell me the problems first and dealt with them

She basically said that she was arranging a new appointment for me and that all the issues would resolve

Im just so sick and tired of this now, I was going to ask for a replacement Mac but thought that, that may have been pushing it. So we'll see what happens this repair round, if it goes bad then Im defiantly pushing for a replacement

Did I do it Ok or should I have said something else, and thanks for all the advice ppl, keep it coming, I think ive still got a bit more to travel on this issue;)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The flexing, warping, smoothing (trackpad, palm rests) and cracking issue with the case is known issue by Apple, and AppleCare doesn't even put up a fight anymore with regards to fixing it.

It's a design flaw with the plastic. It's particularly bad with the first (Early 2006) and second (Late 2006) model of the MacBook. I personally think it's a combination of the chemicals in your hands and heat dissipation of the logic board and processor. Both tend to break down the plastic over time.

I've had mine replaced twice in the last six months (once in July because of severe cracking, and once this week because of a warping case to the point where I couldn't even insert DVDs or CDs).

The Geniuses at the Apple Store might put up a fight simply because replacing the casing is the hardest repair you can make. You have to take everything out. It's a tedious process.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Yeh, the genius was a little comprehensive about replacing the Casing, as he said he had to replace the bottom lid, the top lid and rear housing, so he tried to tell me that the Laptop keyboard comes clean out (a damn straight lie as if you look at vids on youtube etc you can see you need a small plastic type tool to "pry" out the Macbook, only this time I think they used a metal one)

Ah well, Ive got an Apple Care Rep soring me out, shes said that I should be expecting a call on monday regarding the repair, I want a replacement now as theyve messed me around too much

But any more advice/tips would help, ive still got a feeling Apple are trying to deny their wrongdoing

Stachelsk

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
Yeh, the genius was a little comprehensive about replacing the Casing, as he said he had to replace the bottom lid, the top lid and rear housing, so he tried to tell me that the Laptop keyboard comes clean out (a damn straight lie as if you look at vids on youtube etc you can see you need a small plastic type tool to "pry" out the Macbook, only this time I think they used a metal one)

Ah well, Ive got an Apple Care Rep soring me out, shes said that I should be expecting a call on monday regarding the repair, I want a replacement now as theyve messed me around too much

But any more advice/tips would help, ive still got a feeling Apple are trying to deny their wrongdoing

People on YouTube are retarded. It does come right out... once you disengage the latches on the side that hold the keyboard assembly onto the base... I took mine apart without any force/pryers/what have you. :rolleyes:

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California

If the repair comes back wrong, or if they give you anymore s***t, just call her up again and tell her that you are done with the repairs and the low level service you have received. Tell her you want a new macbook to compensate for all of the bull you've been put through. Press and dont give up!

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
If the repair comes back wrong, or if they give you anymore s***t, just call her up again and tell her that you are done with the repairs and the low level service you have received. Tell her you want a new macbook to compensate for all of the bull you've been put through. Press and dont give up!

Definatly mate, theyve made me trek the width and breadth of London and it isnt free, neither is time free

If they co*k this one up then yeh, I want a new Alubook 2.4 pls

But all will be revealed Saturday, should get a call back then, Ill keep you guys posted but please anymore advice on your previous dealings with Applecare would help a lot! Thanks all

HamzaB

danvan21

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
To be completly honest, all that is accidental damage except the side bulgeing. The lid is not supposed to be slammed hard or stored with pressure on top. Thats the only way that cracks. Same with the line on the screen and the keyboard. The temperature is normal. The Genious bar was right.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
To be completly honest, all that is accidental damage except the side bulgeing. The lid is not supposed to be slammed hard or stored with pressure on top. Thats the only way that cracks. Same with the line on the screen and the keyboard. The temperature is normal. The Genious bar was right.
It may be accidental it may be not but we don't know because we don't have any pictures of the machine. But I'm more tending to beleive the OP because my friend had his MacBook and the palmrest was cracking. Is it the same as the screen, no but can it happn, I beleive so. At the fact of the issue is that the OP has been wasting his time and gas which btw Apple isn't paying him for to go back and forth between different stores. But I'm hopeful that his computer will come back fixed and working properly so the OP could put this ordeal behind him and move on.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008

OMG I dont belive this, mate, you can go round asking many, many people about the cracks theyve suffered on their Macbooks, heck theirs even people on this thread that have posted this let alone people out there in the Real World

I dont slam the lid hard, neither does anyone else, its a simple fact that the magnets are too powerful for the plastic case on the keyboard which is too thin causing it to crack, its called google, look at the hundreds and thousands of people who've reported this issue

The line on the screen? Can you please care to explain how getting a purple line across the LCD is classified as normal? Please I beg you, tell me? I dont put anything on top of my Macbook, who said I did? Who would do such a dumb thing like that? I put it in its Incase case and then in my Messenger bag THEN we go travelling

The temp is normal? So when your Airport card reaches 72 degrees let me know? Or when your Mac starts shutting down every 2 weeks give me an email.

Seriously man if you cant post sense please dont post, Im already frustrated at is getting this crap service from a once highly reputable company and you have to go make it worse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.