Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I was using it, everything seemed to be fine, then all of a sudden - nothing. I powered the machine back on, no startup sound, no grey screen, nothing. Just the loud fan going non-stop. Awesome.

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
What kind of machine was it that died?

Stuart

Mac Pro 2.8 8 core with the 8800GT. Oddly enough I had just finished installing Vista when it told me there was a CPU failure. Now I just get nothing, even if I take the new drive out of the machine. Oh well. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow. I'll be polite as possible but I'm not leaving until I get another machine.

eyecool

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Good luck ! They'll swap the 8800GT with the store's stock model if they know whats good for them.

They swapped an imac for an imac last year b/c our isight was DOA.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Oh man, that's tough. You ordered the same day as me. I've been purring along for 2 days now, just finished importing all my pics in and trying to organize them. That's taken hours already. I wouldn't be happy if things stopped now.

I think tomorrow I'll go and get a hard drive to Time Machine all that hard work into.

Good luck!

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
woah woah woah, how can this happen, ive never had a mac fail due to processor/logic board etc before, and i had assumed that the mac pro, where its internals are not squished into a tiny box or carried around, would have been a far more sturdy piece of kit?

How widespread are these problems? to the OP, I hope they give you a brand new machine, that is just not on:eek:

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
woah woah woah, how can this happen, ive never had a mac fail due to processor/logic board etc before, and i had assumed that the mac pro, where its internals are not squished into a tiny box or carried around, would have been a far more sturdy piece of kit?

How widespread are these problems? to the OP, I hope they give you a brand new machine, that is just not on:eek:

I'll let you know as soon as I get back from the Genius Bar.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
That sucks, yeah, but I think a lot more people post about having problems than to just say, "Everything is great." I doubt there are any more problems with the MP than any other computer. We just get to hear about every single problem that anyone has on this forum.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
That sucks, yeah, but I think a lot more people post about having problems than to just say, "Everything is great." I doubt there are any more problems with the MP than any other computer. We just get to hear about every single problem that anyone has on this forum.

I agree the MP has literally been put under the microscope around here and other forums.

To the OP I'm very sorry to hear about your problem and hope you get a new machine.

Brianna

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008

People that don't have problems don't come to forums and post that everything is running splendidly. The forums are here for tech support and chat discussion. Without them we would never hear about any unfortunate situations unless a news caster was having an issue. Which reminds me. :rolleyes: I just read that Rush Limbaugh personally has many Macs, and his hole studio is run on Mac's because he loves them so much, but because he is who he is, he is having trouble getting tech support. I guess he had two minor issues with 10.5 and said it on his show (and I guess they were simple tech questions) and he got totally ridiculed by Mac fanatics, and democrats alike. It's kind of funny. :)

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
In case anyone was wondering, they could not get it to work at the store, and they could not replace the machine for me either. So that means that I have to ship this back and wait until they have another one to ship out.

"Because it works"? Hardly. I could have had a working Dell four weeks ago.

geon

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
In case anyone was wondering, they could not get it to work at the store, and they could not replace the machine for me either. So that means that I have to ship this back and wait until they have another one to ship out.

You could have got ran over by a bus too, you just never know.

Salavat23

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
The reasoning behind this is quite simple.

All of these problems with iMacs, Mac Pros etc, are from Apple moving their production plant to China.

Apple got a little greedy. They wanted to save a few bucks by assembling the machines in China (we all know what that means), but in the end, it looks like it will cost them more in replacing and fixing all of the machines.

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
The reasoning behind this is quite simple.

All of these problems with iMacs, Mac Pros etc, are from Apple moving their production plant to China.

Apple got a little greedy. They wanted to save a few bucks by assembling the machines in China (we all know what that means), but in the end, it looks like it will cost them more in replacing and fixing all of the machines.

That's what I've heard. I wonder how much it saved them moving production to China compared to the cost of replacing/fixing the defective machines?

wpattison

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
San Francisco, CA

Yup, sent mine back due to not being able to turn it on fresh out of the box. I FedExed it Thursday, tomorrow the new one arrives.

Your post, and many others, is not giving me a good feeling about these MP's.

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Yup, sent mine back due to not being able to turn it on fresh out of the box. I FedExed it Thursday, tomorrow the new one arrives.

Your post, and many others, is not giving me a good feeling about these MP's.

The funny thing is that the guy at the Genius Bar was not surprised in the slightest that the machine was dead.

Also, when I called today they said I'll get a call either Monday or Tuesday with the return shipping info. The guy in the store said that they can ship me a new machine as soon as they have one and they have confirmation that FedEx received my machine. I wonder if he is right?

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
The funny thing is that the guy at the Genius Bar was not surprised in the slightest that the machine was dead.
As much as I've been told how "completely meaningless" and skewed the polls are on this forum, I think Apple is about two to three weeks away from a formal announcement on this subject, and thus it'll be a page 1 macrumors story. I think Apple has a major QC issue that is not just an anomaly of the computer geek community who are more likely to post about their problems. Just a hunch. The blood lust (read $ lust) Apple is tasting as it slowly chips away at the PC market by producing cheap (read crappily made) consumer products has all but dissolved the pride Apple used to have in building the "best" computers on earth. There is a reason that the Mac Pro is $2,799 when a comparable Dell is over five grand.

I'd rather Apple just shipped me all the components directly from their respective factories and let me assemble it myself.

Incidentally, my Mac Pro (2x2.8 / 500GB / 8800Gt) just shipped yesterday -- I sure hope it's in the healthy category.

MrPDaddyHimself

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008

Welcome Banacek and have a seat in the boat. We have strong whisky and loose women to help get us through these rough waters. Well...atleast I do. I can't wait to say land ho, that New Mac Pro is on its way. Arghhh.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.