My MBP Arrived and I changed my mind!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harlowgold1, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

First of all, I want to thank all of you for the assistance I have received regarding my research about Apple products. I have spent a year reviewing the product line and I ordered my MBP 15.4 2.53GHz and it arrived on Thursday. Well, it is still in the box unopened and I decided to return this gorgeous piece of work :(.

Apple was incredible and with my student discount and Apple Care I paid 2700.00. However, I cannot justify the price in my mind. It is something I can afford and I know the quality is there but it just doesn't seem right. I love OSX but I guess not that much and I have never had the buggy problems with Vista that so many others have had. So, I am going to buy a Windows 7 based notebook - I know, there is a vast contrast in quality - but at the end of the day - my needs will be met.

Apple was great about the return with absolutely no hassle! They are a great company!

Thanks again to all of you! Perhaps one day I will take the plunge. Thanks! Jenny

2. Solid Raven macrumors member

Can you just return a bought poduct? Never heard of it over here in Belgium, maybe with some kind of fee.

Anyway, Windows 7 isn't out yet so you'll have to wait for a while I guess.
    It is indeed a vast price for a laptop. In the end, a computer shouldn't be more than a tool. :)

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

IIRC the 2 week grace period, if its open you might have to pay a restocking fee, but if its sealed bnib then I iirc then theres no fee.

To OP: You should have bought AppleCare from Ebay, would have saved you a large amount of money. But then again most of the price is from the MBP. Did you need all the upgrades that the 2.4GHz model didn't have to offer? If not, you could've saved even more if you decided to opt out for the 2.4 model. But I'm pretty sure you bought the 2.53 for a reason so... idk.

4. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors member

No I did not open anything (as tempting as it is) it is still in all the boxes and there are no fee's. Like I said they have been great. I just am eager to mail this back on Monday morning. It is like having a new Lexus in the garage and not taking it for a test drive!

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Lexus?! More like Porsche GT3 RS or a Ferrari.

6. Harlowgold1 thread starter macrumors member

I think perhaps that analogy is really how I feel. The Toyota will do fine without the Lexus price :):eek: Jenny

7. cerealj macrumors member

If you're really sure you want to return the MBP, check out the Inspiron 13. I'm seriously considering getting it and dual-booting it with Ubuntu. The only reason I'd leave Vista on at all is for games.

The model I like is $1050, it has a 2ghz C2D, Nvidia 8400M, 4gb RAM, 320gb hard drive, and a 9-cell 85-wh battery. The reviewers seem to love it. Apparently the display looks nice and with the 9-cell battery it should get around 6-7 hours. It's not nearly as pretty as a MBP, of course, but it's not terribly ugly either.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Or the OP can always go get a base Alum MacBook (2.0GHz)...

10. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I've always been fond of Lenovo Thinkpads, although I've never owned one. Before this laptop, I had only bought Dell laptops, both of which worked pretty well. My mother killed one with some water, and the other one is still in working order being used to this day. No major problems with it at all... Just a new screen and motherboard after my firewire port somehow became crushed.

Lenovo's just seem to be well built. We had them in high school and I liked them. They seem to run cool, were light, but felt very durable.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You wont get a notebook laptop with the same spec as the 15" MBP for a lower price.

You may think you've found something the same spec, but when someone who knows a lot about computers compares the specs they'll show you what your missing.

12. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

As much as I hate to say this, youre wrong.

Dell offers their Studio XPS lineup for several hundred dollars less.

1249$ gets you about equal to the 2.4 MBP. If you spend another 500$ on the dell, it can have blueray, a faster processor, and a HD display.

Not to mention 4GB stock, and 7200rpm HD, all stock.

see pic, YIKE. And vista is just not as bad as everyone complains about it to be. However, OSX is just hands down nicer.

I gave that laptop serious thought before I bought the MBP 2.4

Attached Files:

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is one serious case of buyer's remorse.

Somehow I think you'll switch one day, if not now, and I'm absolutely sure that you won't regret it.

There's a very true adage: "You get what you pay for."

Good luck! :)

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That is really awesome, even though you returned it. Not if I bought a Dell and wanted to return (my Dad has done this for his company)....

15. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

I agree. It would be extremely nice if Apple allows more options for the MBP.

I am one of the people who just can't stand the 9600M GT in a high end laptop. This makes it a low end. But I'm getting it anyway :p.

Also, I don't need optical drive. I would rather have another graphic card or HDD.

16. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

17. xilni macrumors member

xilni

Indeed I looked it up and could find AppleCare for MacBook Pros for USD$190.00 on Ebay. Is there any downside to buying it off Ebay rather than directly from Apple during the purchase?

Wow, I'm happy to hear others share my thoughts. Has any of the tech media ever gotten an answer from Apple as to their lack of high end GPUs?

18. macJC50640 macrumors regular

oh, man.

oh, man. If you couldn't justify the price why diddn't you just go for the unibody MacBook? Or even a lower model MacBook Pro? I think you would have been much happier going that route. :apple:

19. Storm9 macrumors member

I'm glad apple gave me a free upgrade from early 2008 2.4ghz MBP to the new unibody 2.53ghz model. The backlight gave out on my old one. I had such a great experience with Apple genius bar that I am going to get 3yr apple care for sure on this laptop.

20. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

21. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Yeah, and that missing part/s are the details that you won't notice unless you demand the ultimate best from your computer. For example, the reliability of the OS and/or hardware to recognize when I'm switching from analog audio output to 5.1 digital DTS when playing HD movies. Or how the DVI out will always always work the first time when plugging it into a projector or TV. Not to mention the size, weight and build quality of the device. I can keep going.

Even if you can find a laptop with identical specs for same price or less, I bet that almost none are gonna be as thin or well-built as an Apple notebook. :cool:

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sadly, if Jenny would have opened the box, there's a strong possibility that you would have your new MBP resting right next to you on a nice memory foam pillow...:D

23. Norco macrumors regular

I understand what the poster is saying, $2700 is a HELL of a lot of money to spend on a laptop, not to mention for a student. For some colleges that could be an entire terms tuition. Anyways, being that you are a student you should be checking out the deals at your campus bookstore. I really wanted a MBP, but couldn't justify the cost of paying $1900+ (w/student discount). Instead I found the previous generation MBP at a closeout price of $1200. Especially in economic times like these, if you don't have the money, you substitute it with your time to find the best deal possible.

24. lordthistle macrumors 6502

The 2.53 is very expensive, I agree.

But you could have bought the 2.4GHz, that is expensive but not too overpriced.

Frankly, your post has no sense: despite what other are saying, Apple hardware is not better than Dell. The basic decision concerns the OS: if you want Mac OS or not. If you don't care, an Apple notebook is worthless.

I buy Apple hardware because of OS X. If I could, I would buy 500euro notebooks (that, in my experience, work as goog as MBPs - if not better) and install OS X. But I cannot.

thistle

25. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I have to agree even though I've been a Mac user since 1994. I'm not the type of person who really wants to pay premium for form. I don't care how heavy my laptop is or how sleek it looks out in public. What I would rather have is a fast laptop that offers current technology at a reasonable price. It's a bonus if it runs OS X too! We Mac users have to pay quite a bit extra to have something that looks cool even if it's outdated or missing features found on average PC laptops that cost a lot less.

I also think it's funny how people are suggesting that the OP just buy an Apple laptop that costs less. The price ratio of what you're buying doesn't jive with the cost. Why should they settle for less computer just because Apple over-charges compared to what the market offers? If it weren't for OS X, I'd probably bail too. Windows 7 is looking good, so who knows? I'd like to see some competition that would cause Apple to compete.