My new MacBook Pro has ruined the computing world around me..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cybrscot, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cybrscot macrumors 6502

cybrscot

I'm a new Mac user. I just bought a new MacBook Pro 13.3 about 3 weeks ago. I love it! The computer itself is very nice, I love the aluminum body and the screen looks fantastic. One of my favorite aspects is the smoothness of the look and feel of the operating system. The way the windows open and close, move around, and fade in and fade out. I enjoy using spaces. Also, some of the other keyboard shortcuts and Expose really make using a Mac a true joy.

So why did it ruin the computing world around me? Well, as my Mac is at home I'm forced to use the Windows based PC machines all around me and at work. I didn't anticipate this happening. I was at work yesterday and I usually use the computer during my break. However, I didn't want to use it, I wanted to use "my" computer, my Mac! The thought of using the Windows machine after having experienced the joy of my Mac just didn't appeal to me the way it used to. I felt somehow disappointed, that I was "stepping down" to use the Windows machine. As if to use a Windows machine, I was lowering my standards.

Anyway, that's how I felt. I really "enjoy" using the Mac. It's been a very pleasant experience thus far!

2. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Welcome aboard :D

i have used macs on and off for years - but alas i suffer the same fate as you - i have to repair laptops and desktops as PART of my job so i suffer a lot using trackpads etc that just dont cut it :D

i use windows every day but mainly reinstalling, drivers, antivirus removal etc...and i HAVE to Bootcamp - just to sort out my music on my sony hd-nw3 walkman mp3 player...

you will find endless bits of information that will make your mac more magic :D

Vinda

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I feel the same way...lol. My highschool school has Mac Pro's but there only for hardcore video editing and photoshop...trying to look for an excuse to get my hands on one just for a little bit..BTW I just got a 13" MBP, I like bringing it to school but its so expensive It can literally never leave my sight :( it attracts too much attention, when I brought a regular laptop in people didn't care but the glowing apple brings in people like flys.

4. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

that is so very true - the apple logo attracts everyone...

i take mine everywhere - but mines a bit bruised and battered...but i must admit it never ever leaves my sight...

5. sydenham macrumors regular

I know exactly what you mean. If I have to use Windows for a work related task, it is not long before I am cursing and pulling my hair out.

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more. I work tech support for my school, and most of the major problems (that take more than 10 minutes to fix) are Windows computers. I use a 15" uMBP and absolutely can't stand the trackpads on Windows machines, not to mention the major user-unfriendliness in Windows (not a Windows hater, as I do use Boot Camp, and Windows does have its own selling points vs. OS X).

7. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Tell me about it. I was a software development contractor until a year ago and our security policies keep me from even bringing my computer into the building. Having to go from my beautiful MBP to a 3-year old POS HP running Windows XP kills my soul a little every day.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have never noticed this ever. Are there Apple stores or retailers that are in your area? I mean I could see this in a small rural area...

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Now that sucks...Just for the record though I don't hate windows its like my ex-girlfriend, she was hott at first but now I'm over her and OS X is mighty fine ;) crude example but I think it gets the point accross haha.

10. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Stupid things about Windows always get to me. I should be able to move files around and/or rename them while they are open. Why can't even Windows 7 handle this basic function? That said, Windows 7 is definitely a better experience than XP and (especially) Vista.

11. jsilas macrumors regular

While my feelings against Windows PCs are not nearly so strong as yours, I must admit a similar feel of elation about using my new MacBook Pro, and a sense of "downgrade" when I sit in front of a PC, especially if it's a notebook with trackpad (all of which are utter garbage compared to Apple's latest trackpad).

Welcome to the sickness.

12. lythium macrumors member

I feel your pain. Bought a Mac 2 years ago because I was just sick to death of my laptop not waking up when I opened the lid, NEEDING a virus scanner that eats system resources, no resale value, crap hardware that failed constantly, and the worlds most inefficient OS.

Now, every time I have to touch a windows box, I just feel dirty. Luckily, my work doesn't care what I use for a workstation as long as they don't have to pay for it.

13. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Same here lol...love using the Mac at home, HATE using the POS pc at work...

14. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

That's exactly how I felt as well. You're going to start to despise using anything else. :)

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I had to use Windows for a few computing classes I had last semester, and it was horrible. I take my MBP all around campus in my backpack, so it was torture knowing my brilliant Apple product was sitting right beside me, but I had to use a Windows..:eek:

16. sullen macrumors newbie

everything else feels like a plastic toy after getting used to a newer MBP.

17. citizenal macrumors regular

Wow, didn't know it was that bad for some of you. I love my macbook pro, imac and air, but still don't mind using pc at work. Guess I should feel lucky seeing as I have to work with PC's everyday. :D

18. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I don't want to hate Windows, but dammit, every time I get in front of a PC, I gain a greater appreciation for the Mac. Can't wait till the trolls come out on this thread!

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Very true. I'm thinking of creaky, cheap plastic of some monster HP POS laptop...I wish someone other than apple knew how to design a laptop body...Seriously? My MBP is like a brick...

Side note though; do you guys bring your MacBook's to school? Highschool, college, grad? Just curious I'm in highschool and like I said above I feel like I'm begging to get it stolen... :(

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm a 3rd year University student, and I've brought my MB to class with me every day thus far. Well, I had a MB my freshman year..then upgraded to a MBP last year and have been using that since..

But still..I've been bringing my Apple laptop to every class every day for three years :cool:.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You guys make Windows sound worst than it is.

I'm in HS but I don't bring my computer for a few reasons. I don't think it would get stolen though, but anyways 1) none of my classes need it, and 2) we have a class set of 2007 MacBook in case we need a laptop for class.

If other kids brought their computers to school, so would I ... but practically no one does. It would be showing off if I brought mine to school since its unnecessary but it depends what kind of school you have.

22. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

There is much truth to the old cliche' ... Once with a Mac you never (want to) go back :D

Moved to Mac early 2010. Used my brothers PC laptop at Christmas and the trackpad made me crazy.

23. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

there is no comparison is there? :D

24. aCondor macrumors 6502

This happens to all men as they get older. You'll get used to it.

What? Oh, he was talking about a computer? Oh. Err... ;)

25. aCondor macrumors 6502

Senior undergrad here. Never brought a laptop with me to high school. No need for it.

In college it is normal, though. Just because you actually need a laptop to get work done. I could have gone through high school with only a #2 pencil and been fine.