My RANT about 3.0 and future iPhone software (Long/Pictures)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, May 24, 2009.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

Ok so today, I was super excited to get the 3.0 software and a really friendly mac rumors user, decided to hook me up with the beta through his developer kit. Anyways, I got to playing with 3.0 and checking out all the new stuff it had to offer. Here is my rant, sorry if its long and stupid.

So after almost an entire year, the BIG update we get in 3.0 is like a new messaging application and now it says what number called me when I get a missed call? Really if you think about it, the core features in 3.0 are all features that the iPhone should natively have had when they released it. Ok Ok, now I know there are a ton of new API's for developers but the average user doesn't develop and doesn't really benefit from that. I watched a ton of videos on the Palm Pre today and as much as I had preconceived hate for that phone... the UI is awesome. I feel as if ours is becoming simple and out dated. Just like our phone never had copy/past, video, mms, etc. And yes I know thats all coming but thats small stuff.

Specifically, I use the SMS app more than anything and it sucks, its so simple, so plain and has really not options what soever to organize texts. Some of the other 3rd party SMS applications are so much more advanced and somewhat more pleasing to use. Such as this one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, why can't apple invent some-sort of form of Inteliscreen and IN APP notification system? It's really not that hard as shown here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok anyways that all I can write right now. I'm just a little disappointed with 3.0, its awesome for they said it would do but with how much money apple makes on this device we deserve more.

Proud Apple User and iPhone Owner,
    Jack :apple:

2. Branskins macrumors 65816

Are these mock ups or is this from a jailbroken phone? That lost picture would be simply fantastic. I would still rather have a tray for the notification area then the pop up in that screenshot. However, I do have to say it is less obtrusive.

I also love the MAIL icon in the menu bar. There should more notification icons for texts and general notifcations.

I love it! I do agree with you that 3.0 doesn't really bring any really big changes. All they have to do to really really really please me is fix the notifications.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

how does the user NOT benefit from the new APIs available to devs? :confused:

4. golden3159 macrumors member

Fully agree with you OP.

It's amazing how naive people are. OS 3.0 is nothing golden.

It simple updates the inferior iPhone OS to what it should have been.

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

I really think he meant that we will not see this upfront. The end user will not notice this until APPs are made with them. In fact, some might assume that the phone was always capable of doing this. And this change will probably not make people buy the phone

6. aluren macrumors 65816

well apple doesn't really need to revolutionize the iphone since all other companies are still playing catch up... i'm just glad apple is finally putting in the features a smart phone should have in 3.0.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

I agree as well. The iPhone's looks rather dated and could definitely use some work. As someone who has been using 3.0 beta since day one, I'd also have to agree that 3.0 doesn't really bring anything to the table that shouldn't have been there since the beginning. IMO, of course.

8. sedgeman macrumors member

With the develop tools 3.0 provides, are the pop up notifications and home screen news feeds possible????

If so then i'm sold -

I don't think it makes a difference whether apple or developers provide the software - personally i think it a clever idea to open the apps up so people can develop themselves - it means people like us can develop for the masses!!!

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apple is notorious for releasing features, most of which have been available on other smartphones for years, and having fanboys cream their pants believing Apple is showing them an improvement on the wheel. You'll hear buzz-words and catch-phrases like "innovation", "vision", and "Apple knows best" as people describe basic smartphone functions. It's all done for the lolz.

As for the OP's post, what are these apps? You must be jailbroken because such useful-looking apps don't exist for the non-JB user.

10. con500 macrumors regular

Hi, i agree with the OP complety.

I can see the above photos are of 3rd party apps (only for J/B iphone) i did install the inteliscreen but found it to be rather buggy and severely limited my battery life and since deleted it.... was lucky i installed it while it was free but now i see they charge around $19.

Can i ask the OP what package you are using for the landscape sms (looks cool) and is this a J/B app
    cheers :)

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Since 3.0 is pre-release, I guess the OP is pre-whining. How refreshing.

12. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

It is almost on par with the pre-will-totally-pwn-the-iPhone thread.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Two ways to look at it really. I do like the pop up notifications on that picture - they look swish. But the iPhone really does need more RAM to do things like that effectively, so we're not going to see them while the OS applies to all models.

Photos of contacts in messaging is about the only other thing there I'd actually like though. Looks a bit cluttered otherwise.

But I do agree with the principle that 3.0 was just a catching up exercise - there's an awful lot of work to do on the OS yet, and hopefully we see it quicker than the last set of OS fixing.

Phazer

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I hope the OP is completely worng about 3.0 but I have a feeling the jailbreak community will benefit from the update in making better applications for those willing to jb.

My phone is jailbroken so i can run various apps that make the phone more usable in many cases and more enjoyable in others.

The ommission of such things like MMS are baffling to me. Some say the service has seen its days and its future is short lived. Ok, let me decided whether or not I want to use it. As far the iphone not being capable, Swirly MMS seems to work fine if you can convince ATT to change 1 or 2 settings.

People beat the Pre up for its small physical keyboard, ahhh the standard keyboad for messaging and email on the iphone is exactly user friendly.

Copy and paste, is that so processor demanding apple left it out on purpose?

As the OP said rant, yeah the "most advanced phone" does have a number of shirtcomings just like the macs line up. The fans rush to the defense of Apple and when Apple includes something that could have and shiould have been there are parades worlwide.

I think the only function I want from my phone is hassle free MMS, the rest of my needs are being met through the jailbreak community.

Too bad apple can't hire some of the jailbreak programmers

15. con500 macrumors regular

Ye, you have to be carefull what you say bout apple sometimes. You can get flamed :eek: Theres a whole lotta love for apple here. But im sure even the fanboys ;) can agree that the iphone for all its advancements does lack some basic functinalities that make a complete mobile cell phone...however necissary they may be or not be, like you say it would be nice to have the option. The iphone serves its purpose for me (mostly) but its certianly not the best phone ive owned.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy. Some people have different needs. I don't use MMS and never did. I have the 3.0 beta, and besides testing it to see if it was working, I never used MMS. So no, for me MMS is not a basic cell phone functionality.

17. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Apple knew very well what should have been included in the original release and subsequent releases of the software, but chose to left them out until they perfected them, pure and simple. This is the one the most stable phone platforms that I have ever used and guess what it works. There will always be hardcore uses that push the limits and want more, but guess what most people do not.

The pre will do fine, but will not put a dent in anyones market share. I wish them luck.

18. svndmvn Guest

Never used MMS on any cellphone, so I guess basic needs are subjective. There are some very expensive cars with no AC, I believe.

19. con500 macrumors regular

No nor do i use MMS and therfor dont miss having it. But i would assume most people could be miffed that it is not available (just the option) it is Nowadays reguarded as basic cell phone functionality as is for example file share via bluetooth, basic in the sense that it is difficult to purchase a phone without it even on the cheap models. Maybe Apple believed such features would cheapen their device, and while you or i may not miss such functions i can see why when folk are paying a premium for the phone they perhaps would like the option;)

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Will I have to agree that the MMS shortcoming is due to Apple's and problably not so much on ATT. I guess it would be pretty darn embarassing for Apple to have a third party be able to provide such a service while apple programmers take years and struggle to perfect the same function.

Perhaps its my understanding of Apple as a whole.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Another poster from Portugal and with you being from Italy say you don't use it, is MMS used in your countries or is email being used to send pictures?

The reason I ask is my wife can send/receive MMS all day long and not be charged. However, email to her phone is not a free service its an additional $20 a month because it is grouped with the "Web"package.

22. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Your assertion that certain things, like MMS, are standard is correct and I agree with you. Yet people know this going in and choose to purchase the iPhone anyway, so your point is exactly what? Stability and ease of use the most important factor, that is why Apple , who was not in the phone business prior to the iPhone(Excluding the ROKR) is holding the 3rd position of sold handsets. There is a reason for that.

23. svndmvn Guest

I understand peoples' needs, but not so much, especially in Europe, the ones almost insulting whoever buys the iPhone or the cellphone itself because it lacks "basic", in their opinion, functions. If you had to start all over creating a new device and a new OS don't you think it would be normal for you to choose certain things to leave out for a while or forever? For a reason or two.. I do. BT is important, to some, on cheapo phones because they don't have a data plan or a functional browser or email service. Same would go for MMS, which IMO is also overpriced, can you use a basic cellphone in an WiFi area to transfer or view files? No, while the iPhone can, and it's a phone too, so leaving some old "basic" functions out is quite understandable to me. Also, don't people think Apple would've liked to sell even more iPhones, since so many don't like its lack of MMS/BT/better Camera w/ video? Many of the consumers that need these "basic" functions don't need others that the iPhone offers, that's why some other cellphones suit them better.. that's what's cool about choices.

24. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

My distaste for the current iPhone software is that it feels to cluttered and unstable.

iPhone 1.X was great - the settings menu was thoughtfully organised and nothing was more than 3 taps away. It was very simple to know where an option was. This applied throughout the OS - everything was very intuitive and you could tell people had spent ages debating the placement of every single feature and the easiest, most intuitive place to put things and had applied those rules consistently. The OS was rock solid and very rarely crashed. Everything was fast all the time.

Now, Apple have run around adding all kinds of new features but haven't thought enough about how they expose them to the user. Look at the "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" settings for example - pure chaos! Think about how far you need to travel for the "Enable 3G" or "Enable Tethering" options. It's just not been as well thought through. And again, that kind of inconsistency has been applied through out the OS - There's one style of loupe for if you have text selected and another style of loupe for if you're jumping to a different text position, for example. Apple needs to sit the iPhone team down to think about how each feature they've added is exposed and how they can make those more intuitive and less cluttered.

Stability has also gone down the pan. I'm not sure about what apps are still in memory when quitted or whatever, but the system often slows down. Some application developers even have prompts recommending you to restart your phone before using their app. That is the peak of shame.

25. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Hmmm, I assumed the iPhone had MMS when I got it. My fault for not looking into it deeper.
    have you had the opportuinity to use Swirly? I don't think it can get much easier that that program. Heck even some of the MMS send to iphone only programs in the apps store are incredibly easy to use. But it was only after 3.0 was announced had such apps were allowed in the apps store...