Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robothero

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
I don't own an iPhone (yet) so I wouldn't exactly say I love it, but at the same time if we went simply off of "features" then everyone would have jumped ship for the Storm when that came out, and the G1 after that. And as we all know, that didn't exactly happen.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
By the way... the people who are saying "3.0 is coming in a few weeks" do not know Apple well enough. Apple will probably not release 3.0 at the keynote and they probably have more testing to do. I don't think 3.0 is coming until mid to late July. Apple never promised 3.0 in June (nor at the beginning of June). They said "summer" so stop saying "in a few weeks".

</rant>

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I have to agree with the poster about the iPhone changing the phone business. Years ago, you would buy your phone, and that was that. There was always the possibility of an update, but it never happened.

Apple continuing to support the phone is really something new and something I have to commend them for. So while I think the phone is missing some key features, I love the idea that we are complaining about them adding it to the current phone and not a future one :). It just shows how spoiled we really are! Years ago we could have done nothing!

kdarling

macrumors P6
I remember a while back Gizmodo had a patent from Apple on a lock screen with those exact stats. So i'm sure it's coming.

Patent application. For a fairly simple Lock screen as compared to other smartphones. Although anything would be an improvement.

It's a little surprising that Apple hasn't come up with a nicely user customizable widget-based Today screen.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Tell me, how is email not "old technology," it's been in use since the 70's?

And besides, what's with all the hate people have been giving the iPhone's features? Usually, the people who have historically poo-pooed MMS are the same ones telling us to "trust" Apple, that Apple "knows best", and that Apple "gives us not what we want, but what we need." Nevertheless, I do give some of you kudos for at least being consistent, even though it contradicts Apple's iPhone philosophy and plan.

I'm not saying Apple knows best, Apple probably didn't care enough about MMS and I'm giving solutions I know about. Email is a cheaper and better alternative IMO. Since most phones have MMS people insist saying they don't have email which is simply wrong, no? It is older technology but according to what people say more advanced, since "not every phone has it". Apple doesn't know best, Apple makes a product, if it doesn't do what you want just don't buy it.. I don't care about MMS=> I bought an iPhone.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm not saying Apple knows best, Apple probably didn't care enough about MMS and I'm giving solutions I know about. Email is a cheaper and better alternative IMO. Since most phones have MMS people insist saying they don't have email which is simply wrong, no? It is older technology but according to what people say more advanced, since "not every phone has it". Apple doesn't know best, Apple makes a product, if it doesn't do what you want just don't buy it.. I don't care about MMS=> I bought an iPhone.

I understand. I don't use MMS all that much either, but I can see why people would love it. It's very convenient. If you are chatting away in SMS, it's a lot more convenient to have a pic sent to the SMS App. Otherwise, you would have to exit out of SMS and then open your email app. Not quite heavy lifting per se, but it's less convenient and adds a few unnecessary extra steps.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It's a little surprising that Apple hasn't come up with a nicely user customizable widget-based Today screen.
It's probably because the iPhone has barely enough RAM to function at a snail's pace as-is, and would self-implode if there was anything else running ... ;)

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
It's probably because the iPhone has barely enough RAM to function at a snail's pace as-is, and would self-implode if there was anything else running ... ;)

Is this really true? I think the JB community would disagree...

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Is this really true? I think the JB community would disagree...
That's because a lot of people are willing to trade performance for usefulness. There has been extensive debate on the boards here about jailbreaking causing massive slowdowns, with the general consensus being that while JBing itself doesn't slow things down, running additional processes (like MobileSubstrate) does, likely due to the additional memory use.

All I know is, my non-jailbroken iPhone consistently shows 2-3MB of RAM available when I check using iStat Pro. That's utterly pathetic.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think the problem people have with using email is that if you're out somewhere and you spot a really funny picture and want to send it to your friend who doesn't have an iPhone (I know right... why are they still your friend if they don't have an iPhone...hah!) but, they have a regular phone with no email. I've actually sent people photo emails before and then I have to go back and text them saying "Can you check your email when you get back to a computer... I sent you a picture". Wouldn't you rather just blast the photo straight to their phone so they can see it right away or am I way off?

Nope...spot on

Im also not a fan of the sandbox/notification thing and it annoys me to no end to have to quit whatever i'm doing to check an SMS and then go back. Sad thing is they were on the right part...i.e. you could close the notification (with the message still marked unread), continue what you were doing and go back to read the message after you were done in version 1.x.x

Now once you close the notification IT MARKS THE MESSAGE AS READ!...what?!...i havent read it yet. This is VERY bad because you can forget about said message easily.

The phone also REALLY struggles when you have the iPod app running in the background and try to anything else

Suffice it to say the notification system and one app at a time thing is getting long in the tooth and constantly reminds me of the Palm OS (not webOS) method

Agreed with the OP. I'm glad Apple added all these features into 3.0 but it really should've been there in the first place and therefore its not 'innovation' but rather 'catching up'

Also no matter how much people try to spin it, MMS is a good functionality...not dated (email is even older) and is very much used by people. Not everyone has email functionality/email service on their phone. More importantly not everyone has HTML email support, which means the pictures you all propose be sent via email might not even render properly on the recipient's phone!

People use MMS for a reason...its simple, fast, works well and has a broader reach in the cellphone world

There's Thinking Different & there's Thinking Pragmatically. Sometimes it works better to do a combo of both rather than be fixated on one

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Software Development Is Not Magic

Posters saying things like, "this or that feature should have been there at the initial release" only proves my point that people really do think that software development is like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

I know it seems like magic sometimes but there is something called a schedule, priorities, and resources.

Apple headquarters is not located on platform 9 3/4.

Ok so today, I was super excited to get the 3.0 software and a really friendly mac rumors user, decided to hook me up with the beta through his developer kit. Anyways, I got to playing with 3.0 and checking out all the new stuff it had to offer. Here is my rant, sorry if its long and stupid.

So after almost an entire year, the BIG update we get in 3.0 is like a new messaging application and now it says what number called me when I get a missed call? Really if you think about it, the core features in 3.0 are all features that the iPhone should natively have had when they released it. Ok Ok, now I know there are a ton of new API's for developers but the average user doesn't develop and doesn't really benefit from that. I watched a ton of videos on the Palm Pre today and as much as I had preconceived hate for that phone... the UI is awesome. I feel as if ours is becoming simple and out dated. Just like our phone never had copy/past, video, mms, etc. And yes I know thats all coming but thats small stuff.

Specifically, I use the SMS app more than anything and it sucks, its so simple, so plain and has really not options what soever to organize texts. Some of the other 3rd party SMS applications are so much more advanced and somewhat more pleasing to use. Such as this one...

Ok anyways that all I can write right now. I'm just a little disappointed with 3.0, its awesome for they said it would do but with how much money apple makes on this device we deserve more.

Proud Apple User and iPhone Owner,
Jack :apple:

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
i would LOVE information at glance on the lock screen and i think
that is coming in 2020, when the man gets on mars or 2040
when quantum computers will be in our pocket.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Posters saying things like, "this or that feature should have been there at the initial release" only proves my point that people really do think that software development is like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.

I know it seems like magic sometimes but there is something called a schedule, priorities, and resources.

Apple is not an amateur software developer lets face it, they have decades of experience and very capable devs. They also have a lot of moolah in the bank, so i don't really buy that arguement sorry. You could maybe argue inexperience in the mobile market but even that's a stretch for a company that prides itself on being smart/intelligent when it comes to researching markets thoroughly and exploiting opportunities

If you're going into a market as large as the mobile market you should be aware of what people take for granted as standard feature-set for a phone and what competitors have put on the table and act accordingly

Two years to put out a decent bluetooth stack, search function, MMS, notes syncing i.e. basic stuff we've come to expect from both feature phones and smart phones. Really?

Apple didn't start working on this device in 2007 or even 2004

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

Well, Swirly MMS has been available for a very long time. Why didn't Apple at least gave everyone access to this? This would have taken up zero resources or time. Unless, this comes back to an AT&T "we can control the features of the iPhone" issue. So, I don't think this is a lack of resources, time, or knowledge (Apple has plenty of all those). It was all probably an AT&T "control" issue.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
Apple is not an amateur software developer lets face it, they have decades of experience and very capable devs.

When they conceived iphone they said let's sell it as units. iPhone had animations, a broswer, touch etc, a boom. now, they realize that the platform is the spot, because app store is driving millionarie revenues
Good for them.
So, isn't that apple is an amateur software developer, is that they focus on what sells.

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Apple does not have unlimited resources. They are a large company with many projects known and unknown going on which takes many skilled and specialized devs. Since their reputation and brand is on the line and which actually is a selling point they do not want to implement features that are half baked. So this also factors into a longer dev cycle that probably includes longer than usual quality assurance. Look at the flak they got for mobile me.
Posters talk about how the Palm Pre (introduced in January) kicked Apple into action in implementing new features (iPhone OS 3.0). I mean if this naiveté doesn't make you think that people really believe software development is magic then I don't know what does.

The iPhone is first and foremost a consumer product. Which means that core functionality and usability is probably top priority. Start talking about a proper bluetooth stack to a general consumer and they will probably just give you money to go away.

What is standard to you does not mean that it's standard to everyone.
Reading these forums one would think that tethering is wide spread and standard practice in public. When was the last time you saw more than one person tethering their phone to their laptop in public (outside of a tech convention)?

Apple is not an amateur software developer lets face it, they have decades of experience and very capable devs. They also have a lot of moolah in the bank, so i don't really buy that arguement sorry. You could maybe argue inexperience in the mobile market but even that's a stretch for a company that prides itself on being smart/intelligent when it comes to researching markets thoroughly and exploiting opportunities

If you're going into a market as large as the mobile market you should be aware of what people take for granted as standard feature-set for a phone and what competitors have put on the table and act accordingly

Two years to put out a decent bluetooth stack, search function, MMS, notes syncing i.e. basic stuff we've come to expect from both feature phones and smart phones. Really?

Apple didn't start working on this device in 2007 or even 2004

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Apple does not have unlimited resources. They are a large company with many projects known and unknown going on which takes many skilled and specialized devs. Since their reputation and brand is on the line and which actually is a selling point they do not want to implement features that are half baked. So this also factors into a longer dev cycle that probably includes longer than usual quality assurance. Look at the flak they got for mobile me.
Posters talk about how the Palm Pre (introduced in January) kicked Apple into action in implementing new features (iPhone OS 3.0). I mean if this naiveté doesn't make you think that people really believe software development is magic then I don't know what does.

Obviously the Palm Pre didn't spur 3.0...it was already in the works. Despite the the time waken with 3.0, it WILL still be half-baked on release and won't really be stable till 3.0.2/3.0.3 or even 3.1/3.2 judging from what happened with 1.x.x & 2.x.x. No matter how much QA/how long the dev cycle the software will never be perfect on release

The iPhone is first and foremost a consumer product. Which means that core functionality and usability is probably top priority. Start talking about a proper bluetooth stack to a general consumer and they will probably just give you money to go away.

What is standard to you does not mean that it's standard to everyone.
Reading these forums one would think that tethering is wide spread and standard practice in public. When was the last time you saw more than one person tethering their phone to their laptop in public (outside of a tech convention)?

But there exists more than 2,3...500 who use tethering, having a decent bluetooth stack is not just standard to me. Also the iPhone is marketed as an all in one (consumer/prosumer/enterprise) device and should cater as such...i.e. appeal to a wide range of consumers/uses

If you're talking about core functionality/usability the iPhone still lacks a major one...transferring files via BT and i know that a lot of consumers use this and if you tell them its missing they'll look at you funny

Majority of phones out there support all 4 facets of BT use. Headsets, Transfers, A2DP and Tethering. Even though majority of consumers only use 1 and/or 2 out of the 4, manufacturers still put out all 4 for the fewer (but still significant) number of consumers who use all facets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.