My ridiculously horrible experience at an AT&T Store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Surely, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surely Guest

Surely

I thought I'd share my horrible customer service experience that I had at an AT&T Corporate Store this afternoon.

I know this is a long post, but a lot of stuff happened, and I don't think it would be possible for me to shorten it much without completely losing how completely ludicrous it was. Plus, I need to vent. ;)

Here we go......

I was walking by an AT&T Store, so I decided to go in to take a look at the iPhone cases, as I want to buy one for my new 3G S⃣ . I went over to the rack and started looking. While I was looking, I had my in-ear headphones on and was listening to music.

A sales associate approached me and asked me if I bought the new 3G S⃣ . I told him yes. He next asked if I bought AppleCare. I told him no, I didn't. He asked me why. I told him that I didn't need to buy it until the day before a year after my purchase date.

Before I go on...... a little aside:

On Launch Day, I went into this AT&T Store to ask if they had any iPhones. They didn't, but a sales associate chatted with me and showed me on their computer that I was eligible (which I already knew). For some reason the subject of the iPhone warranty came up. He told me that Apple has changed their policy. The new manufacturer's warranty is only 90 days. I told him that's wrong- it's a 1 year manufacturer and 90 days phone support- as it is on all Apple products. He insisted he was right. I shrugged and said he was wrong, and if it had changed I would know about it (from MacRumors of course!). When I got home, I went on Apple's website, saw that the warranty is the same as I thought it was, and decided as a courtesy to call the guy up and tell him. I called and told him, I told him where I got the info, and he thanked me. The end.

Back to my experience today.......

So after telling today's sales guy that I didn't need to buy AppleCare for a year, he told me that I was wrong, and that I only have 30 days to buy it!

I told him he was wrong, and that the manufacturer's warranty is for 1 year and phone support is for 90 days and that I have 1 year from the purchase date to buy AppleCare.

At that point, he started getting aggressive. I repeated the CORRECT information again, to which he again said that I was wrong and that his info is from an AT&T email. I told him he probably misread it. When I tried to repeat the correct info again, he kept on interrupting me/cutting me off and telling me I'm wrong and that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I told him to go to Apple's website and see for himself. He said he didn't need to! So I pulled out my iPhone, went to the site myself and showed him the iPhone AppleCare chart. He told me that it was wrong! He said that it was old information, and it's the same as the back of the AppleCare box, which is also old. I told him that Apple updates their site and doesn't display old info. He still INSISTED he was right!

I don't know why I continued with this situation, but it was kind of funny and absurd. Plus, I felt that he was using the 30 day thing as a scare tactic to force customers into buying AppleCare from him for either commission or to increase the store's revenue.

At this point, another sales guy came to watch and others in the store were watching and shaking their heads or laughing.

I offered to call 1-800-MY-APPLE, he said go for it, and got a representative on the phone, put him on speaker, and asked the rep to explain the warranty and AppleCare to the sales guy. Obviously, the Apple rep said the same thing I said. I thanked him, hung up..... and the sales guy STILL INSISTED he was right!!!!! He then asked where I called, and I told him 1-800-MY-APPLE. He said: "Oh, that's just like calling an Apple Store. They don't know anything. I told you to call Apple Corporate. They would have told you what I've told you. I'm still right about what I said."

The sales guy asked to see my iPhone so he can see what number I called. I told him that I wasn't about to hand my new 3G S⃣ to him. He asked if I thought he was going to steal it?!?!?

WTF?

He told me that I was acting like a jerk. I was not. I was being respectful even though I was having an argument with him.

He then told me that the Apple rep never said about needing to buy AppleCare in the first 30 days, which he claimed as fact. I told him that the Apple rep DID state that you have a year to buy it. He STILL insisted that he was right.

The other guy then asked what my problem was. I said: "I don't have a problem. I came in to look at iPhone cases. That guy engaged me. I didn't ask for his help." The sales guy then said that I did need help because I was looking at cases. No I didn't. I know how to use my eyes. I was looking at the rack of cases. I didn't need help with that. I told him that I didn't need help looking at something.

This went on for a little while longer as I was trying to leave. A few other little exchanges happened. It was very, very strange. They made me feel like a crazy person. As if I came in there to get into an argument or something. All I wanted to do was to look at the iPhone cases. I wasn't even planning on talking to anyone- I was listening to music.

I called AT&T Customer Service, told them the story, they apologized, and they told me that I would have to talk to the store manager. They recorded what I told them. The store manager isn't in until Friday. I'll be calling her then.

Anyone else besides me think that the sales guy from Launch Day told the sales guy from today to bug me about AppleCare? That's the conclusion I came to while walking home afterwards.

Whoa, sorry for the length!

2. Undispu7ed macrumors newbie

Lmao..I've met many idiots like him in my life

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

That is freakin awesome...

I wish someone recorded it.

4. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

It was totally crazy.

When I left the store, I couldn't believe that it actually happened. I thought someone was going to jump out and tell me that I was on a hidden camera show or something.

5. hitman45400 macrumors regular

i'm not going to lie, that is hilarious.

I bet he kept arguing even though you proved him wrong, just so he wouldn't look dumb in front of everyone there. (well, he did a bad job of that as is)

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I would've just to jog on after I told him what I knew what was right and ended it right there.

7. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I love how ignorant people are. They refuse to admit they're wrong. If you play your cards right with the Store Manager, you could end up getting some sort of discount.

8. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Yeah, it's funny. There is definitely humor involved here.

It's not funny for all of the customers that he lied to who ended up buying AppleCare from him that didn't actually need to yet because they were scared into thinking that they would have no warranty after 90 days and wouldn't be able to buy AppleCare after 30 days. That just isn't fair.

9. Odid macrumors regular

The ATT Store employees are dumb as hell. Last week when I went to buy the iPhone 3GS, it resulted in a two hour wait (not including the 3 hour wait because I didn't preorder) while the Apple employee called up ATT because my information wasn't showing up. Apparently the ATT store employee messed up my information when I bought my iPhone 3G back in October. He put in a wrong SS # which is why my information wasn't showing up when I gave the last 4 digits to the Apple employee. They ran a credit check and I had to make a $500 deposit. Is there anyway I could probably get this back since the information they used to obtain the check was incorrect?

10. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I suggest calling up AT&T and complaining. Be aggressive, but don't scream or get out of line. All will turn out good in the end :) Make sure they know that you had to wait 2 hours.

11. icurbyou macrumors newbie

Oh the irony.

12. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

(In the AT&T break room)

"Hey Jim, see that guy over there?" <peering through the 1 way mirror to the sales floor>

"You mean the dude looking at the cases?"

"Yeah, that guy."

"What about him?"

"He's the guy I was telling you all about... the one who actually called me the other day after he was in the store to prove to me what Apple's warranty was! He must be one of those obsessive Apple fans the memo was referring to."

"Really? No way... Watch this, I'm going to go over there and tell him something ridiculous too see how far he'll go to prove his point!"

"Dude, go for it. There's no customers in here anyway, the only people who will tolerate our crappy network is those Apple fans!"

:D

13. alphajerk macrumors member

You should have quietly clicked on the voice recorder!

14. starstudded macrumors newbie

LOL. This is a perfect example of a person in denial. I would love to see the follow up in this. I hope the ignorant sales guy gets fired.

15. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I don't think he should be fired. Unless he has a history of similar behavior. That's a little much. Jobs are hard enough to come by in this economy. He should be disciplined and retrained though.

And to sdsvtdriver: Nice. :D

16. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

If you meet enough of those kinds, you will learn to cut it short and save your time and energy. :)

You can't fix someone else's ignorance. It's never done in human history. :eek:

17. peperoni macrumors member

Great one! :D

18. danielhayter macrumors member

danielhayter

I don't know how you managed to resist giving the guy a smack!

19. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

that's why the guy could only work at AT&T store. actually, that's not really good job whatsoever. I can say it is more like blue class job. you don't need college degree for working. anyway, if I would face with this kind of situation, I just walk away, don't talk anymore because I don't like to deal with jerk. it's tired.

20. wr1020 macrumors regular

I don't know why you kept going on with that guy, i learned to not even get into an argument with people like that. I would of just told him if that makes you sleep at night buddy go ahead and think that.

If you know your right then you have nothing to prove to anyone.

21. Swattkidd macrumors newbie

Haha, That sounds awesome! Would have been great to record right there on your 3G S! :p...But yea, pretty ridiculous, you should go in a day before your year is up and buy the apple care from him, or go there tomorrow tell him you want to buy it, then say NOT and run out laughing. It would feel good, but may be a bit childish lol.

22. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I don't either. It was strange. It just kind of built up. He was so in my face that there was no stopping it from continuing. I guess it was the perfect storm.

Normally I would walk away from a situation from that. I'm just not an argue-with-a-stranger-on-a-street-corner kind of guy.

I think that the store would think I'm some sort of nut if I continue to engage in this. The only thing I'm going to do is call the manager and tell her what happened.

I doubt that sales guy will still be at that store in a year from now. He didn't seem very stable.

23. dagomike macrumors 65816

This

There's just no helping some people, so I don't try.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny because I don't know how he managed to just continue the conversation.

He was looking at a case, got into a discussion about a warranty, did the doors lock? Were you unable to just leave?

Edit: I see that the OP sees the silliness in this and while the AT&T rep is funny and stupid all in one, the whole situation leaves me with a shaking head. :)

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Let us know how your talk with the manager goes.

My guess? She (or he) will say they will fix it right away as they can't have that kind of misinformation going in their store. Then, right when you leave, they'll say the same thing again because their compensation is based on warranties.

What I'd do? Do the above. Then send in a friend to ask about warranties. Then tell us what they told your friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.