My story with Applecare and my Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaybeee, Jan 16, 2009.

1. kaybeee macrumors member

Thank you Apple.

My journey started out last Friday, when i experienced screen banding on my early 08 Macbook Pro. I booked an appointment for the next day. I take it in and show them the banding issues and they took it in for repairs.

After 4 days waiting for a replacement screen to come in, i get a call yesterday to pick it up.

I go today to pickup up my laptop and i test it out in the store. I noticed that the back light on the screen was not working. So they took it in again, and i was really frustrated at not having a laptop for a week because i really needed it for school. I remained calm and talked nicely to the employee.

I get a call about 30 minutes ago saying that they could not fix the issue. They tried replacing the screen again, logic board etc. Nothing fixed the issue.

AND THEY ARE REPLACING IT WITH A UNIBODY MACBOOK PRO.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow morning as they are doing data migration to the new laptop.

I LOVE YOU APPLE

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's good to see somebody not complaining for a change :p
    Good for you! Enjoy the crap out of it!!

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Now this is why I <3 Apple. Stories like this make me proud of owning a Mac.

4. tdevers macrumors regular

I don't have a fantastic story like that, but I did take my MacBook in for an airport replacement and they replaced the top case for a disfigured (I guess) trackpad no questions asked. Good stories are always nice to hear. :)

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thats bomb dude. I hope they do that when my MBP fails from the 8600.

6. dtx macrumors newbie

hah I just read your story on mac-forums as well!
    and again, I'm so pleased to hear a positive story about the world's best company, providing the world's best customer service!

7. kaybeee thread starter macrumors member

ahaha

im a new member in both of the forums.

8. dtx macrumors newbie

me too! haha 2 weeks old in the Mac universe. Welcome aboard, and I look forward to reading more of your posts... twice.

9. djkirsten macrumors regular

I'm taking my MBP in this morning due to the fact that it overheated, melted the keyboard, and could have burned the place down....

My hope is that they'll hook me up with a unibody too!!

10. sesnir macrumors 6502

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That's awesome! It's shows that if you're calm and are polite you will get far instead of yelling and getting all mad.

12. Storm9 macrumors member

I had the same exact experience. But it was was even better. My early 2008 MBP was having problems with the screen and they couldnt fix it so they gave me an option to upgrade. But the genius also gave me a free mini display port to DVI connector since I was using my old MBP to connect to a dell monitor. And he felt it wasn't fair since it wasn't my fault that it broke down.

13. kaybeee thread starter macrumors member

I just got back from the apple store, and i love my new laptop lol.

I don't know if this is a mistake or not, but they gave me the one with a 2.53 processor, 4 gig ddr3 ram, and a 320 gb hd. I had a 2.4 ghz with 2 gig ddr2 ram and 250 gb HD.

Looks like they upgraded it for me because they still have the other model available in Unibody

Im a happy camper no mater what, i love you apple.

14. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

That's awesome, it was probably a mistake but whatever.

Speaking of which, in case my laptop ever gets replaced, will they give me one that has 4GB (even if it's base model)? I have 2.4GHZ penryn right now, and it came with 2GB stock, but I upgraded it to 4GB a few months ago. Would they match that if it ever came down to my laptop needing to be replaced (taking it in to get 8600M gt replaced, i think mine's defective).

15. kaybeee thread starter macrumors member

i think you will have to but the factory ram back in there and they'll give the 2 gig version

16. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i dunno that i would have to put original ram in there. i dont have it, put it in my dad's macbook that needed it badly.

17. Storm9 macrumors member

They usually just swap it out, unless you are lucky and they give up an upgraded model like I was!!!

18. kaybeee thread starter macrumors member

I am really loving the unibody MBP, it feels like a very high quality laptop, with out that plastic gasket with the early 08 MBP

I also notice the difference with a 2.53 ghz processor and 4 gigs of ram

everything just runs really smooth and faster than before

19. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Awesome dude! It's nice when they go above and beyond cause sometimes they are total jerks :)

20. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Wow. I had the same thing happen to me late last summer, except they jumped me from early '06 to early '08, with six months left on my AppleCare. Looks like they're out of the early '08s now.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple fixed my dad's iMac G5, a computer more than 3 years old, for F-R-E-E. The store replaced the logic board and a couple of sensors that were making it F up. THAT is customer service considering I mentioned if it was going to cost a ton of money that we were going to just wait it out and buy a new one (my mom has a Dell, so he got by for a bit).

This is why I'm confident whether Steve Jobs is there or not for the near future. That kind of customer service makes me want to buy buy buy more stuff from Apple. Considering it took that iMac that long to have a serious problem other than the power supply dying a few months ago, THAT'S A GOOD COMPUTER. Who here has spent $600 on an HP and then had things go wrong about the time that 1-year warranty expires?

22. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

Apple does really well with this type of stuff, from what I've seen. Last April, my black MacBook (May 06) stopped booting up. Turned out that the logic board was wonky, and because of that, they replaced it with a brand new black MacBook with the top specs available at that point.

Then, in July, my Aluminum 20" iMac was randomly shutting down. I brought it in, and it was deemed to be something wrong with the power supply, but they would have had to order a part that was on backorder, so instead, they replaced the machine, which resulted in a bump in machine specs for me.

Love it!

23. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

How do they determine what model to give you? I've been stationed abroad for the last 2 years and need to wait until I return to go into the store. Dust under screen (HUGE Splotches), USB port dead, keyboard backlighting not working and the fans spinning up very loud. It's a May '06 17" MBP.

IF *fingers crossed* they decide to replace it would they just give me a brand new 17" MBP? Has anyone ever succeeded in changing the replacement to a different model at the same price?

eV

24. emotta macrumors member

one of my friends just had his mbp replaced as well with the new unibody. however it took him 3 visits and a month without a laptop. small price i guess for a nice upgrade

25. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I had similar experiences with a bad lobo on a tibook. It was taking a long time to order a replacement part. This was right around the time before the first "Mactel" MBPs hit the shelves. I got an amazing deal on a new (at the time) PowerBook offered by Apple + eventually I got the TiBook back too with a new lobo! I sold the TiBook, which covered the amazing PB deal + a new iPod. This also influenced my decision to upgrade early to a Unibody (I also owned a pre-Unibody MBP in between). Apple was generous, I was happy and in the end, became a repeat customer ^. Thank you Apple <3