My take on recent Touch ID debate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipad3g, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ipad3g macrumors member

I think the leaks are real...both leaks are real..the leak with Touch ID in back are for 7S and 7S+ (both will have near bezel less displays). The leaks without touchid in back are for iPhone 8/pro/x/edition. This is the only logical explanation. What do you all think?

2. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

The point of the "S" series is to use essentially the same design as the previous model. I don't think they would radically redesign the phone and call it the 7S.

3. ipad3g thread starter macrumors member

If I remember correctly, KGI put a note out a few months ago saying all 3 will have wireless charging and for this to happen apple will be switching to glass for all 3 iPhones.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think I won't buy anything with TouchID on the back, that is what I think.

5. scrumpyjack macrumors member

scrumpyjack

Exactly, makes no sense. It'll be 8, 8 Plus and an Edition model.

Regarding the sensor's location, I really don't care unlike most others. Won't influence my decision one bit.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not.

The 7S and 7S+ will be very much like the 7 and 7+. Only the 8 will have the large OLED screen. Where the sensor will be located on the 8 is likely going to be the back, like it or not.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

My thoughts are Apple will retain the 4.7/5.5 iPhone models currently with minor revamps and retaining the Touch ID on the front. The 5.8 OLED model will be the model that have will the Touch ID sensor on the back of The iPhone. But I have no issue with remapping the Touch ID sensor.

As far as your labeling for the iPhone 8, I don't foresee Apple using the term "Edition" or "Pro" terminology for an iPhone. It could be iPhone 8 for the 4.7/5.5/5.8. The OLED model might see '8 Plus OLED' or something similar.

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

8 Plus OLED? Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue does it? Why not just "iPhone" and "iPhone Edition"? Personally I hope they get rid of all the numbering and S identification.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what Im thinking too.
    That's a completely backwards approach.
    Pick up the phone and try to find the touch ID in the back to unlock the device?
    That doesn't make any sense. Hope they scrapped that idea.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I did an aproximation of that with my 6s to see if it's even physically possible. I can't even work my fingers in correctly. It's a two handed job!

Now try that in the dark when you want to get to your homescreen in a hurry!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    And not everyone's index or other fingers will reach comfortably in the same exact position in the back. Hands and finger sizes and lengths vary per individual so its not like placing a finger in the front bottom of the screen. Its holding the phone and placing the finger in the exact spot to unlock it at the same time.
    Its a really dumb idea IMO so I hope they think it through.

12. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Pasting the TouchID part on the back of the screen is not happening as long as Apple keeps striving to make the phone thinner and thinner. And I don't understand why people want the top and bottom frame gone. It looks goofy, and the TouchID ring on the face gives the phone character.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'll just add one more thing.

I was trying this with my index finger. But I use my thumb for TouchID (when I use it). Trying to get your thumb in there is probably impossible. If more people use their thumbs for TouchID then they do an index finger then having it on the back is going to require putting their index finger in the system.

So, yeah, I hope if this was ever a consideration Apple does not go forward with it.

14. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

I doubt they would do it, but I would like just plain old apple phone.

15. Relentless Power, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

8 Plus OLED doesn't sound exactly affluent for an example, but My point is I think they just have to come up with some sort of concept to separate the OLED model from the the LED models if they retain them.

The numbering system is unique to the iPhone and I don't see them abandoning that quite yet. So perhaps they will come up with a different naming system to avoid similarity. But if they were to retain the LED models and the OLED model, I don't believe it will be labeled "Pro" or "Edition" at all for the OLED model. Apple has a tendency With fragmentation.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The position for the rear touch ID doesn't make sense to me. It's right ink the middle, just below the Apple logo.

That means the sensor would be right under the battery. Not sure how small the sensors are but it would make sense for the sensor to be in an area where the battery isn't. Basically across the top or down the right.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why start another thread on this just for your thoughts. That's what the reply button is for.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nd-glass-design-with-vertical-camera.2042235/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-touch-id-on-back-of-aluminum-casing.2042401/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...dual-lens-camera-iphone-5-style-body.2042679/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/poll-bezels-vs-touchid.2042646

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rear-touch-id-and-stainless-steel-rim.2042889

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...hone-with-fingerprint-sensor-at-back.2042871/

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think a rear facing sensor doesn't make sense to me at all, and I'm hoping that is not the case.