iPad mini My thoughts on the retina iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by carjakester, Feb 8, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Yesterday i received my retina iPad mini in the mail, i got the 16gb in slate gray. I also got a skinomi clear full cover.

The skinomi cover was intimidating to install, but its not that hard. After letting it set it feels nice and its nice to have my entire ipad covered. I would suggest this for anyone looking for a screen or body protector for any device. http://www.skinomi.com

As for the iPad I'm in love with it, the size fits perfectly in my hand or hands. Using it sideways is surprisingly nice. The weight is fantastic, I'm planning on using it to read and this will be perfect for that. Im considering making it my go to iPad, might just keep my 4 at home.

I was somewhat worried about people complaining about this and that and i haven't noticed any flaws with my mini. I did a careful inspection as well, maybe i got lucky and got a good device or people are just nitpicky. I can't wait to have everything set up! How are you guys enjoying your retina minis?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I also have the 4 and the rMini, so much nicer to handle the mini.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have a 3rd gen iPad and share a 1st gen mini with my family. Its really nice to hold the mini but I always reach for the 3rd gen over the mini

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I just got mine as well. Although I did have an iPad mini 1st generation before, it was okay. I kind of lost interest in it until I went to the apple store just to look around and when I picked up the retina mini it was very crisp and I thought hard about buying one.

Eventually I have decided to pick one up. I just got back from the apple store and I am currently restoring from a back up so after that I'll go play with my new ipad rmini.

I, too, was worried about picking one up since I've heard quite a few complain about the image retention issue with the mini, and of course with other issue as well but luckily I'm very satisfied with mine.

I ended up getting the 32 GB Wifi + cellular data model.

5. brhume macrumors member

I'm very satisified iwth my rMini too... ;-)

@carjakester and @Shadowbech, just curious:

Did you perform the Marco test to check for image retension, or just don't you notice none during your "real life" use ?

Thank you

6. Yardman1977, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

Yardman1977 macrumors member

I did alot of comparing between the 1st gen mini and the retina Mini and the air
    Both minis colors look the exact same. But text is sharper on the retina mini and there is slightly more detail in pics on the retina mini. Sound thru speakers on 1st gen mini is loud and good but on retina mini it is pitiful. But if u use headphones then they both sound the same, loud and really good. The air is brighter than both minis and colors are more vivid. deep purple color and reds on the air display correctly while purples on both minis are bluish and reds are orangey looking. That's cuz of the lower color gamut on the minis. If you don't have the minis side by side next to the air then it shouldn't bother you
    I ended up getting the air for the house and a refurb 32gig AT&T lte 1st gen mini from Walmart for 349 bucks for work Reason is cuz the retina mini was 629 bucks similarly equipped and had the same colors and terrible speakers. Processor doesn't matter much to me cuz I mainly just surf and watch YouTube and listen to music lots of time without headphones too. Real racing 3 does play equally good on 1stgen mini and retina mini. Minimal frame rate dropouts on both. I'm sure other 3d games will play better in the retina mini but I'm not into that stuff. Image retention on the retina won't bother you cuz you won't see it in normal use. But do the Marco test and if you have the retention problem then take it back to apple store just before you 1 year warranty is up and they will give u another new or refurb mini that way u get a new battery too
    I'm gonna wait til October for the next gen retina mini and if they raise the color gamet to near 100% and make the sound louder thru the speakers then ill maybe grab one. But I just couldn't justify spending the xtra cash on the retina mini with the same looking colors. My air tho is killer. Bigger screen beautiful colors. I found a week 51 evenly cool white display Only thing that sucks on the air is the safari home screen crashes a few times a day if yor just gonna use an ipad at home then get the air

7. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

I dont know what the test for it is but just using it i think its fine. What i did notice was if i press a but harder than i normally would the screen does have the pressure marks or whatever, on other screens it usually took more pressure.

8. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Yeah, at first I got an rMini, returned it for an Air, and went back to an rMini.

The size, and the beautiful display are both wonderful to have, and the "washed-out" colors doesn't bug me, they look more natural.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love my rMini, its the perfect balance of size, weight and gorgeous screen. I take the mini just about where ever I go and its used quite often.

I posted this in another thread, but I was paged while out at a car dealership (getting an inspection sticker) and I was able to use gotomypc to remote into my workstation and deal with the issue. Its such a handy little tablet :)

10. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

My thoughts on the retina iPad mini

I have an iPad 3 but I haven't used it for almost a year now, mainly because of the very bad battery life and the fact that it takes way too long to charge. I miss having a tablet and I'm tempted to get an iPad Mini Retina. I bet the upgrade from an iPad 3 is nice.

11. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

i don't know if the mini will be good for use in class but I'm going to try it out today. i take notes with it so hopefully it will still be pretty easy like it is on my iPad 4.

12. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

If seen several minis like that so I'm sure that not really a problem. Know problems are dust and yellowing screens so if you don't have does issues, you have a keeper. Welcome to the "happy rmini owners" club!:D

13. osx11 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 3 and I've used it for almost two years, mainly because of the good battery and the ability to charge it overnight. I don't miss the tablet experience since I'm actively using mine and actually waiting a couple of years before I replace mine. The upgrade in a couple of years will be even better.

14. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Let us know how it goes.

15. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

16. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

you will love it. i don't know about that color but congrats!

taking notes in class was different, i like how small it was to slip in my backpack really quick but i liked my full sized iPad to type with, I'm going to give it awhile, hope i adjust to it.

17. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

My thoughts on the retina iPad mini

Thanks! I always go for that color when buying Apple devices.

Do you take notes by typing only or do you also use a stylus?

18. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

For a powerpoint i will type them, then if additional points or a chart or something is made i will draw that out. I use the app notability.

19. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Probably thanks to the screen. Once you have an rMini with the retina? Whole new ballgame.

20. quamsi macrumors regular

Typing this on my rMini. :)

I agonized the decision if air vs rMini. Had a first gen mini for a few days upon release then it got stolen and I stuck with an old android tab. Visited BB several times before finally purchasing the Air. Initially I loved the Air. It was fantastic for nearly everything. I especially loved it for movies in bed. The whole time I had it, though, I had a nagging feeling that I made the wrong choice. There were times where I would hesitate to use my Air. For example, at the doctors office with my daughter, I needed to distract her and I hesitated pulling out the larger Air out of my bag. And there were so many times when I was headed out the door and debated bringing the Air but ultimately didn't want the bother. And typing on the Air was kinda akward for me.

So a couple weeks ago I sold my Air on craigslist and immediately replaced it with a rMini. I am happy to report that I have not looked back since! For me, the rMini is the PERFECT device. I don't think twice about tossing it into my purse. It goes everywhere with me. I can type soooo much faster on it. Taking pictures and video on it is a bit less embarrassing and much easier to do. And although I did see the slight inferior color gamut in the store when comparing the two devices side by side, I do NOT notice it now. Never. The rMini is beautiful.

Anyway. I guess I needed to get all that out. ;)

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Man I've been trying to hold out with my 1st Gen Mini but you guys are going to make me want to sell it and grab a Retina one with all this praise.

22. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I have the urge to buy a rMini now since it's on sale at BB I fear I will regret the decision because I also have a 5S and MBA and adding a tablet would cause a lot of overlap.

23. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

No such thing! Complete the ecosystem. Do it... DO IT....

24. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Lol I know but I just keep thinking if that much money is worth having a device I can do all the same things I do on my phone just with a bigger screen.

25. Rodster macrumors 68040

I hear ya. I have my rMini waiting for me at BB and i'm debating whether I want to pick it up.