Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Macvy Ricky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
I just noticed some rattling noise coming from my iphone. When I shake it sideways I hear this faint rattle coming from the phone. There are two ways you could shake it - one with screen going side to side or back and forth. It only makes the noise when going side to side.

Anyone else?

Here you go I found a test.

Start recording a video - shake the camera while recording. Then play it back.

SOmething like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jRHThfm7NA

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
It's easy to verify, put your finger lightly on the sleep/wake button and shake the phone, did the noise go away? It's well known, Apple will apparently replace it if you want, but it doesn't affect the operation of the phone at all.

Macvy Ricky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
It's easy to verify, put your finger lightly on the sleep/wake button and shake the phone, did the noise go away? It's well known, Apple will apparently replace it if you want, but it doesn't affect the operation of the phone at all.

It only shakes sideways. It's not the power button. It's something near the camera.

karleaglemac

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
My first one did this exact same thing. I took it back to the AT&T store and got a new one. Within 5 minutes of using it, THAT one started to rattle too. Some people say it has to do with the zoom in the camera, but it doesn't affect the performance at all.

I've been using mine for four-five months or so and haven't noticed any affects to its performance. In other words, I don't really think it's broken or anything.

There a lot of threads about this. Here is one that might provide you with more info: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/973870/

Last edited:

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
It's normal. It's something with the camera like they mentioned above. I believe it's also the gyro.

Macvy Ricky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
I have a call with apple scheduled today.

No other Verizon user has a similar problem.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I have a call with apple scheduled today.

No other Verizon user has a similar problem.

Yes, the phone will rattle. Your carrier has nothing to do with the physical phone and a rattle. A simple google or bing search would reveal to you many of the same questions and....your answer.

I'm a firm believer that the rattle is due to the autofocus of the camera, being that is has moving parts that are not energized 100% of the time.

Macvy Ricky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Yes, the phone will rattle. Your carrier has nothing to do with the physical phone and a rattle. A simple google or bing search would reveal to you many of the same questions and....your answer.

I'm a firm believer that the rattle is due to the autofocus of the camera, being that is has moving parts that are not energized 100% of the time.

Then how come some people claim not to hear it?

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
My sister in law broke her 3Gs screen a year ago. When I took it apart to replace the screen a screw fell out.

She said she always wondered why it rattled.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
WTF are you shaking it for? the buttons etc will rattle if you shake them. If the phone works fine then just use it, if there is something wrong Apple will take care of you.

Do babies rattle? should we start shaking them too?

you guys are p-noid!

shake the phone sideways like your opening a door knob.. you should hear the rattle...if you pretend its a shake wight then no you will not hear it

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I've never heard a rattle. Just lucky I guess. It's definitely not the gyro. The gyro is solid state. No moving parts. :D

Could be a button or switch. Seems pretty common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.