Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
let us know how it goes if you decide to do it!

loving mine, had a few comments saturday night out in cambridge 'how did you get that?' lol, not in it for the attention but its cool it is being noticed!

momo77735

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010

Just got my conversion kit today from iphonefixed.co.uk

My rating is 6-7/10. Few issues I had with this kit.
-Screen is off centred, definately noticeable.
-front digitizer is not made of glass, seems like hardened plastic. Compared to my original black iphone 4 parts, the surface is less smooth and less glossy compared to the black digitizer and screen.
-near the home button of the screen a small fraction is jus clear and has no white. This is noticable as it makes the home button look uneven.
-light leaks out of the side with the volume button meaning there is a small gap between the digitizers and the middle bezel.
-also never gave me a case :( (guess ill let that slide.)
-Dark border around the lcd bit, meaning the white paint used is not truly opaque.

HOWEVER: the actual screen seems to be a true retina display, image quality is superb,
-the back looks absolutely amazing, I would give the back plate a 10/10.
-Looking at the phone from a distance, it looks truly genuine.
-Phone is FULLY funtional, camera, prox sensor, etcc

With the issues I faced I highly doubt these are OEM parts. No way the factory that makes this would have quality issues like this. But overall the phone does look great. I managed to fool a few people thinking it was a real white iphone. Its only when you inspect the details you realise. I mean I know some of you might consider it nitpicking, but for £179.99 I expect the quality to be just as amazing as the black.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010

Just got my conversion kit today from iphonefixed.co.uk

-front digitizer is not made of glass, seems like hardened plastic. Compared to my original black iphone 4 parts, the surface is less smooth and less glossy compared to the black digitizer and screen.
-near the home button of the screen a small fraction is jus clear and has no white. This is noticable as it makes the home button look uneven.
-light leaks out of the side with the volume button meaning there is a small gap between the digitizers and the middle bezel.
-Dark border around the lcd bit, meaning the white paint used is not truly opaque.

HOWEVER: the actual screen seems to be a true retina display, image quality is superb,
-the back looks absolutely amazing, I would give the back plate a 10/10.
-Looking at the phone from a distance, it looks truly genuine.
-Phone is FULLY funtional, camera, prox sensor, etcc

With the issues I faced I highly doubt these are OEM parts. No way the factory that makes this would have quality issues like this. But overall the phone does look great. I managed to fool a few people thinking it was a real white iphone. Its only when you inspect the details you realise. I mean I know some of you might consider it nitpicking, but for £179.99 I expect the quality to be just as amazing as the black.

glad im not the only one that went for this!

i guess it varies from part to part because the only issues i have from the above that you posted are the off centre screen and light leak around the edge.

not sure about the not being glass bit? mine definitely feels the same as my black iphone 4 sitting next to it.

brandonD101

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
let us know how it goes if you decide to do it!

loving mine, had a few comments saturday night out in cambridge 'how did you get that?' lol, not in it for the attention but its cool it is being noticed!

I got mine noticed for the first time on the weekend as well! so my question to you is what story did you give the person that noticed? I told them I had connections at apple in california lol, I was thinking of saying I played steve jobs in a game of golf and won it but i didnt think that would fly;)

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
I think I might buy a white backplate to go with my SwitchEasy TRIM, it looks way cooler when it shows through the back in white.

momo77735

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
I also noticed on the back plate where it says "Made in China". A fraction of the 'a' is missing :s.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland

Ouch, sorry to hear this, I still have my parts sitting here ready to convert, and am not happy hearing about the front glass not being as smooth, and lcd being off centered.

Did you contact iphonefixed.co.uk about this, and if so, what did they say?

EDIT - I just checked my front glass, and did the tap test, this is a simple test by using a small metal object, and gently tapping the glass, and comparing sound produced. Both my black, and white sound the same, and thankfully, the white feels as smooth as my black one. Now I guess the final test will be when I actually fit the thing, if I find it to be off center I will go mad, as Im OCD when it comes to detail.

Last edited:

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
sorry to say Micky, there is a high chance it will be off centred if the parts are from the same supplier.

Honestly though, its only noticeable if you look for it.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Well well well.

I decided to take the plunge! A week or so ago a fellow member on these forums (Mickyfin) received parts from iPhonefixed.co.uk, and to me they looked superb.

I emailed iPhonefixed back and forth asking as many questions as I could think of before deciding. I have to say their customer service has been EXCEPTIONAL to every degree. The owner of the company whom I was talking to via email was honest, quick to reply and provided as much information as was possible.

During the conversation I enquired about some issues some members on this forum have been experiencing with other companies and their parts. This included:

- Light leakage through the sides of the phone between the antenna and plastic rim
- Colour of the home button compared to the rest of the white front
- Flushness of parts against the antenna (this was my main concern)
- Screen issues where the screen is off centre.

All of the above issues were answered honestly. I was informed that yes, some parts do have some of the above issues, however they are barely noticeable, if at all noticeable. I will say straight up here, with my phone, the only issue from the above list is the screen being off centre, however this is something I can definitely live with (its off by about 0.5mm).

Service

iPhonefixed.co.uk offer the FULL conversion, that includes:
- Front panel/digitiser
- Backplate
- Headphone socket
- USB connection

They offer this service for £174.99, and include the option of keeping your original black parts for a further £80. I know, this sounds expensive. However I can honestly say hand on heart, you are getting what you pay for.

Shipping

I sent my phone Tuesday 16th, they received it Wednesday 17th November. The conversion was done by this Monday, and I received the phone today, 23rd November.

Overall quite a speedy service. They did inform me that they were very busy at the moment so the conversion would take a little longer than normal. But still I was happy that the phone was back in my hands 1 week later. I must also note that the phone is well packaged when it is sent back to you, no problems there.

Phone

Now onto the phone itself. First thing is first, if any of you out there are wanting to get your iPhone converted to white – go with iPhonefixed.

iPhonefixed ship worldwide, and to my recollection are located in Wales UK. This is beneficial for the UK’ers as to my knowledge there are not any other legitimate companies that offer this kind of service in the UK (that I know of).

I can tell you right now, that the parts used in this conversion are the highest quality parts I have seen. The front screen/digitiser is superb quality, everything is flush around the edges and there are no issues apart from the screen being SLIGHTLY off centre, but hey I can live with that. The home button is flush with the front screen, is close to the same colour as the front however if you look closely you can see its not exactly the same colour – but again this to me is a non issue as the difference is minimal.

The backplate is again really good, flush around the edges. Pretty much identical to the black one apart from the colour. Of course comes with the flash diffuser and camera ring.

The headphone socket and USB port are as expected – white inside. Not too much I can say really, however I have tested and it does charge correctly.

So yea, excellent conversion all round really. The owner/manager or whatever you want to call him Mr Siskos, was very helpful with all queries and I recommend them highly! Check out the pics below. Any questions feel free to ask! Once again the website is http://www.iphonefixed.co.uk

8648b7b6.jpg

436acac5.jpg

9850d147.jpg

53c23d43.jpg

4b844f6b.jpg

7e4656c8.jpg

b69b3065.jpg

31db8e52.jpg

249c70e1.jpg

This last pic, was taken in a pitch black room with the flash. I would rate it as fine. Was actually suprised it came out ok.

b73e112d.jpg
yo, this thread is as fake as a lady gaga cake. take no offence, bro!

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
sorry to say Micky, there is a high chance it will be off centred if the parts are from the same supplier.

Honestly though, its only noticeable if you look for it.

Could you post up some photos mate please showing this? Maybe using different coloured backgrounds on the display?

Thanks in advance.

momo77735

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
So I compared the white iphone to my old white ipod video. The iphone 4 has a "dull" white and doesn't have the aesthetic appeal as the old ipod video.

Heres a pic showing the off centred aspect. Arrows and no arrows.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Thanks for those photos, so the offset is a physical issue, and not an off centered fitted lcd like I first thought.

Does this play on your mind, or is it not noticeable every day?

momo77735

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Yeah it plays on my mind whenever I look at it haha. Gives me that disappointed feeling, like the 1st time I got a dropped call.

I mean surely these little things make me sound really anal about details, but when I'm carrying around a £600 device with a £160 modification I expect it to be top quality especially when he/she states them as being original apple parts.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Thanks again for your reply, I am just about to get my white front out its box, and measure the gaps each side now. Will let you know my findings shortly.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Ok, I hav done a series of measurements, and took several photos. I used a measure ruler, and measured the gaps between the outer edges of the white, and black front glass to the start of the lcd itself.

Measurements will be as follows

White

Top left gap in millimeters
Top right gap in millimeters
Bottom left gap in millimeters
Bottom right gap in millimeters

Black

Top left gap in millimeters
Top right gap in millimeters
Bottom left gap in millimeters
Bottom right gap in millimeters

I'm just uploading the photos now, so give me a few minutes, and I will label them with visible measurements shown, and will post them here.

With the naked eye I'm not seeing anything off putting to be honest, but when measuring in millimeters, I think there is a 0.5mm difference, but lets wait until we see my photos, and then discuss.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
oh right you mean the actual glass screen? i thought you were referring to the lcd screen under the glass panel - which is off centre.

my glass panel isnt off centre as far as i can tell with the naked eye, im pretty OCD too so i probably would notice it if it was there.

will post some pics when i get home in a bit.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Measurements

I will carry out these measurements once again when my spare center frame arrives, as whilst measuring the black front glass, it was obscuring my view.

Heres my measurements as promised. I'm only seeing a 0.2mm difference in the right hand side on the white glass. My Black glass measurements will follow in my next post.

White iPhone 4 Front Glass

Top left gap in millimeters 3.5mm
5223574831_26bfa81b5d.jpg

Top right gap in millimeters 3.3mm
5223575727_ab711676f6.jpg

Bottom left gap in millimeters 3.5mm
5223573421_8433c19268.jpg

Bottom right gap in millimeters 3.3mm
5224177614_61d564607d.jpg

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
oh right you mean the actual glass screen? i thought you were referring to the lcd screen under the glass panel - which is off centre.

my glass panel isnt off centre as far as i can tell with the naked eye, im pretty OCD too so i probably would notice it if it was there.

will post some pics when i get home in a bit.

Would still like to see your photos mate, as I was initially under the same impression as yourself, and was not aware of this physical 0.2mm difference either. So please post your photos here too mate, I would be very appreciated.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Measurements Black iPhone 4 glass

Black iPhone 4 glass. As you can see with these photos, being as the phone is assembled, its not easy to gauge the measurements correctly, so what I plan to do, is I have a spare iPhone 4 middle frame that should be here soon, so I will fit the screen to that fram, and then measure the gaps again.

Of course, if the lcd itself is offset slightly too, this 0.2mm gap will appear more apparent.

Anyhow, here are my black iPhone 4 glass measurements, and photos, an all round 3.5mm

Top left gap in millimeters 3.5mm
5223576203_56312c1b49.jpg

Top right gap in millimeters 3.5mm
5224170916_6695ce1788.jpg

Bottom left gap in millimeters 3.5mm
5223573831_68ef36ef65.jpg

Bottom right gap in millimeters 3.5mm
5223576657_5496e91364.jpg

All the full sized, high res photos of these photos can be found on my flickr here. Please feel free to inspect, and measure at your leisure, I would be interested to see if you too get to the same results.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
ok pics below. I tried to get the lighting as good as i could in my room for the off centre LCD shots, think they are good enough!

Here is my front panel (taken with flash), notice that its pretty even all round

61c4e179.jpg

and without flash:

7693d148.jpg

Off centre LCD screen:

76359951.jpg

Honestly, it doesnt bother me *much*, but if i knew they had stock where there was no off centre LCD, i would want mine replaced. I believe he told me most, if not all of their LCD panels are off centre. I think this is the same with all white parts out there.

Would be interesting to see if anyone out there has a front panel with no off centre LCD.

I will email him again and see if he has updated parts where there is no off centre issue.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Thanks so much for taking the time for these photos my friend, having looked at the, the offset is not that noticeable as you say, unless you look for it. I may contact iphonefixed.co.uk too, and ask about new stock. I mean, i could live with this small difference, but being OCD an all, it may drive me nuts.

What does the white fronts look like with a bumper fitted, or a griffin reveal case fitted, anyone any photos?

Thanks again !

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time for these photos my friend, having looked at the, the offset is not that noticeable as you say, unless you look for it. I may contact iphonefixed.co.uk too, and ask about new stock. I mean, i could live with this small difference, but being OCD an all, it may drive me nuts.

What does the white fronts look like with a bumper fitted, or a griffin reveal case fitted, anyone any photos?

Thanks again !

no probs! yea when i first heard that it was off centre i was dreading seeing what it was like, but the final product isnt too bad.

pics with black bumper:

f2b0eb5d.jpg

7ca3b06d.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.