My WORST Apple Experience, Ever

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tibbers, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tibbers macrumors member

Alright, I'm not a complainer. In fact, I'm one of those people who waited until July (July 6th, to be exact) to order my iPhone. I didn't want to deal with the confusion/uproar.

But, let me tell you, this has been my worst Apple experience ever.

I order my iPhone 4 on July 6th. It was suppose to ship the 27th and arrive the 30th (today).

Last Tuesday, I got an e-mail from Apple notifying me that I was no longer eligible for the iPhone 4 and my order had been put on hold. It stated that I should contact AT&T and see what was up and why I was no longer eligible, because when they checked, it was showing up that I wasn't.

When I called AT&T, they said that I had a bill that was issued that day, but they see that I had paid it. They stated that Apple's system probably checked right before I paid the bill. Just to make sure though, they got Apple on the line (which took forever) and made sure. The Apple representative agreed that that's what had happened and that their system would check again within 24-48 hours. Once they could see on their end that the bill had been paid (which as I said, had just been issued- it wasn't late), they would send my phone.

Long story short, they never did. Their system never checked and my phone (which was suppose to arrive today) never came. It's still marked as "Not yet shipped."

I called Apple and asked what was up, why wasn't it here. They said that their system actually only checks once, it's a new system they have setup, and it has errors. They aren't able to make it check again and I would have to cancel my order and submit a new one. It could take up to three weeks to get the phone. That's nearly fifty days total.

I hung up from them, called AT&T, and asked them to help me convey that I was eligible and the phone could be shipped. They tried (which took almost two hours), and got no where. Apple refuses to manually process the order (they claim they can't do it...) and says that I have to just cancel my order and start over.

All this over their system checking RIGHT when my bill was due. I am so frustrated.

Anyways, I had quite the fight with the Apple guy and he offered me $50 gift card and said that I should order through AT&T because it's faster.

People complain about AT&T. Each time I talk to them they're extremely nice and helpful to me. Apple, on their other hand, is rude. Their representatives need trained better and even if what he said was true, his tone and way of approaching the situation was completely wrong.

Just my opinion.

2. Built macrumors 68020

Aren't you leaving something out of your story?

AT&T considers your bill PAST DUE when the next bill is cut. If the AT&T system flagged your account, it was because you DID NOT pay by the time your next bill was issued.

They will not process your order if your account shows PAST DUE...and it will show that status the day your next bill is cut assuming you have not already paid.

Why WOULD they keep checking?

...And it seems to me that you should be angry at AT&T. It was THEIR computer system that reported that you were PAST DUE, and frankly, a $50 gift card if far more than Apple should have given you.

3. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

That's incorrect. The bill was sent to my account and I had by x to pay it. I paid it that day. Apple checked my eligibility status the same day, the day the bill had been issued, before I had even got the chance to pay it.

And yes, Apple's system keeps checking. Or at least they claim it does:

Dear Apple Store Customer,

When preparing your iPhone for shipment, we encountered an issue completing the AT&T account set up and have placed your order on hold. This could be for a number of reasons:

- You may have already purchased a phone or placed multiple orders for the same phone number.

- Your order may be on hold due to an issue with your AT&T account.

You can confirm your current AT&T eligibility status by entering your existing AT&T account information here. Please contact AT&T at 800-331-0500 or visit www.att.com/wireless to resolve your issue.

Once your issue is resolved, you should expect to receive a Shipment Notification email within 24 hours.

We'll continue to retry shipping your order for up to seven days. After seven days, your order will be canceled.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

For the most up-to-date information on your order, please visit Apple Order Status.

Sincerely,
    The Apple Store Team

4. Built macrumors 68020

Pay your bill ON TIME and you won't have problems...especially when you are ordering a new phone.

Take this as a lesson learned.

5. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

I just walked in and out of my local Apple store with a new 32gb. They said they are getting tons of shipments lately.

Is this not an option for you?

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Dude, READ.

OP specifically states that the bill had just been posted. My bill POSTS between the 1st and 3rd of each month and isn't DUE until the 27th.

7. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

INCORRECT. The bill was NOT overdue. A statement was sent to my account and I had until x to pay it. It was sent the same day that Apple checked my eligibility. I paid the bill as soon as I received the statement, but Apple had already ran their scans.

You're basing your posts off of knowledge you haven't got. The system is new and Apple admits that they're working the kinks out of it. This has only happened to a "few" people as the representative put it.

So no, no lesson learned. Before you post, you should evaluate your knowledge for the thread at hand.

8. Built macrumors 68020

The NEXT bill had been posted. The PREVIOUS bill, on which he had a balance, becomes PAST DUE the minute the new bill is posted.

9. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

It's not. :( I live way too far from any of them.

Thank you. I pay all my bills the minute I receive the statements. Nothing was overdue.

10. Built macrumors 68020

If you paid the PREVIOUS bill BEFORE the new statement was cut, your order would have processed normally...as MILLIONS of other orders have done.

11. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

I DID. That's not what you're understanding.

The Apple representative stated that this has happened to a "few" and it's something they're trying to work out. They can't reprocess the order, they can't manually edit it, they can't do anything.

My only option is to cancel the order and place another.

Like I said, you're basing your knowledge off of the system as a whole. You have no clue nor understanding of my situation. What you're stating is completely wrong and incorrect. Yes, that may be the case for millions, but no, not the case for me.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

There you go. I hope you can understand that. You have no idea how big of a PITA that was on my iPhone.

Holy density. I give up. Sorry OP, I tried.

13. Surrix macrumors regular

14. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much, I appreciate that someone can see where I'm coming from.

It's sad that people love Apple so much that they can never see a mistake they make.

15. suss2it macrumors regular

He did pay his bill on time.

16. Built macrumors 68020

People, especially newbies, don't always tell the whole story on here.

At the end of the day, it doesn't make a difference. I pay my AT&T bill on time and MY order went through without a hitch...along with MILLIONS of other orders.

17. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

People, especially old troll-like individuals, seem to always think they're right on here.

At the end of the day, it does make a difference. I'm a customer and I pay my AT&T bill on time. MY order didn't go through, and unlike MILLIONS of other orders, Apple encountered an error with mine and simply "cannot" fix it.

Grow up.

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You need to give it up, admit you're wrong and apologize to the "newbie" you're slandering for no reason. Him being new to macrumors doesn't make him a child.

If you can do that, I'll have a hard time taking you seriously from here on out (not that you probably give a damn).

19. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

Moving on from the troll...

I'm still very disappointed/upset. I just want my phone.

20. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

well hurray for you. if you READ through his posts AGAIN you'll see that he said APPLE said they were having this issue with a FEW others as well. but since MILLIONS of you didn't have a problem i guess those FEW shouldn't matter. At the end of the day it DOES matter for the OP... he pays HIS bill on time and HIS order DIDN'T go through without a hitch... along with a FEW of other orders. are you one of those people that will tell me its not raining at my house just because its not raining at yours?

21. Built macrumors 68020

I don't know that I AM wrong. The story really doesn't pass the smell test, but really, what difference does it make?

You believe him...I believe he's omitting parts of the story. Big deal.

22. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

My wife's bill was past due when I went to get her phone...and Apple knew about it when they tries to process the order.

Simply picked up an iPad laying there, went on AT&T's site to pay the bill right then and there....girl went to process again right away and it went through.

23. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

Look, whatever.

I didn't create this thread to cause an argument.

It doesn't bother me if you believe me or not, I know what happened and that's all that matters to me.

I just wanted to share my story and see if anyone else on here had any problems like this.

24. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

25. Tibbers thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm not posting sensitive account information. I'm not going to go out of my way to prove myself. Either you believe me or not. It doesn't matter to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.