Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Can you tell me the exact model of the wireless usb device?

Dlink DWL-G122

Hardware version B1 (I don't think it makes that much difference)

Chipset is Ralink RT2571F

I've tried one USB Wireless app already, that came from Dlinks or Ralinks website, but that was for PPC and Tiger, and wouldn't recognise the device, but, on Leo4all v2, there's a universal version of the app that does recognise the device, trouble is, I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2...

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
its been 3 weeks, how are things going?

do we get to see the final shots of this bad boy running leopard?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Apart from intermittent boot freezing, it runs leopard like a charm, not to much slower than my imac actually, which is impressive considering the spec difference.

As for it being fully up and running, my girlfriend lost the USB wifi stick I had so I've gotta hunt out a new PCI card that will fool Leopard into thinking it's a Airport Extreme card.

My dad's finally ordered some screws for the front, and once the machine at his friends becomes availible, he's going to make a tool to make it easier to drill into the case.

After that, the acrylic can go on.

Simple things really.

It's been a bit difficult of late to actually get any of it done,w hat with work and my girlfriend, it's difficult to get some time to work on it.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok, so it's been a little while now, the delays have really been with waiting for my dad to build a tool so I can drill into the front plate, I'm actually quite tempted just to glue it now....

Anyway, nice pictures to follow, I applied a second coat of paint to the CD tray cover, only to come back to find it happily reacting and bubbling away... minor set back...

Attachments

• DSCF6076.JPG
    DSCF6076.JPG
    472.9 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCF6062.JPG
    DSCF6062.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF6074.JPG
    DSCF6074.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF6079.JPG
    DSCF6079.JPG
    618.5 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF6085.JPG
    DSCF6085.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 204

macintosh tech

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Ok, so it's been a little while now, the delays have really been with waiting for my dad to build a tool so I can drill into the front plate, I'm actually quite tempted just to glue it now....

Anyway, nice pictures to follow, I applied a second coat of paint to the CD tray cover, only to come back to find it happily reacting and bubbling away... minor set back...

Do you mind sharing that custom apple logo from the about this mac screen. I quite like it. I know how to drop it in, just need the image. Nice project as well. I like it very much. You should build these things, you would make some nice change :cool:

NVM found it.

jfull15

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Do you mind sharing that custom apple logo from the about this mac screen. I quite like it. I know how to drop it in, just need the image. Nice project as well. I like it very much. You should build these things, you would make some nice change :cool:

NVM found it.

Somebody's already trying that, see Psystar

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
very nice!! ,but there's a reason why apple doesn't make computers with white and aluminium.. they don't look nice together, i would make it black with aluminium..

black + chrome = amazing, in my book.

white and aluminum? They look OK, as far as I'm concerned. Not a lot of contrast, but I don't see any other problem.

What about this whole thing made from Lego blocks?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
black + chrome = amazing, in my book.

white and aluminum? They look OK, as far as I'm concerned. Not a lot of contrast, but I don't see any other problem.

What about this whole thing made from Lego blocks?

Lego? really? and after all the effort i put in, awww shucks, i even have some lego somewhere from when i was young...

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land

Something I noticed was the mac mini. In the frontal shots you've either hidden it or moved it away, but in the overview/side shot it's there alive and kicking..:eek:

Are you going to buffer the front up?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Something I noticed was the mac mini. In the frontal shots you've either hidden it or moved it away, but in the overview/side shot it's there alive and kicking..:eek:

Are you going to buffer the front up?

Yeah its my little media/torrent machine, sadly the xmac makes too much noise for me to leave it going over night.

The front is actually slightly buffered, I didn't want it to glossy as the acrylic is already glossy itself.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok, so getting things back on track, now I'm off work I've found myself with ALOT of free time, so I've been dipping back into projects here and there, and today, the xMac was a bit of my focus.

Todays task was to align the CD drive properly so that it's not wonky, I found a small L bracket that I screwed into the CD tray that now supports the drive much better than before.

I found a proper home for the wireless stick (it was just dangling around before).

I also did something my dad said would be completely impossible, I drilled into the side of the front plate, allowing for it to be screwed in, only hiccup is I've yet to find a tapper(? or threader??) that'll thread such a small hole. (Just so you know, I buggered up the first hole :p but the rest are ok)

All in all things are back on track.

Attachments

• DSCF6886.JPG
    DSCF6886.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF6884.JPG
    DSCF6884.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF6876.JPG
    DSCF6876.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF6881.JPG
    DSCF6881.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 91

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Ok, so getting things back on track, now I'm off work I've found myself with ALOT of free time, so I've been dipping back into projects here and there, and today, the xMac was a bit of my focus.

Todays task was to align the CD drive properly so that it's not wonky, I found a small L bracket that I screwed into the CD tray that now supports the drive much better than before.

I found a proper home for the wireless stick (it was just dangling around before).

I also did something my dad said would be completely impossible, I drilled into the side of the front plate, allowing for it to be screwed in, only hiccup is I've yet to find a tapper(? or threader??) that'll thread such a small hole. (Just so you know, I buggered up the first hole :p but the rest are ok)

All in all things are back on track.

whoa! that second picture is the drilling you are talking about correct?

i would definitely drill through the front and mess it all up LOL looks good!

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
That hole looks *far* too close to the surface of the sheet. Be careful you don't break through the surface when you thread it, that would ruin the finish.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
That hole looks *far* too close to the surface of the sheet. Be careful you don't break through the surface when you thread it, that would ruin the finish.

Yeah I know, I'm tempted to do another one just a few millimeters above or below it, just to be on the safe side...

To be fair though, the metal is 4mm thick, and I'm drilling using a 3mm drill, so it's not exactly easy :p

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Why drill into the side of the front plate?

Also, the second hole, on the edge of the side (beige-coloured) plate looks like it may break out of the very thin side under the slightest force.

It would be safer, and maybe more tidy to attach a small angle bracket or a small wood block (glue it on?) to the back of the front plate. You can then drill a hole in the side plate a centimeter or more back from the edge to put your screw / bolt into.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Also, the second hole, on the edge of the side (beige-coloured) plate looks like it may break out of the very thin side under the slightest force.

It would be safer, and maybe more tidy to attach a small angle bracket or a small wood block (glue it on?) to the back of the front plate. You can then drill a hole in the side plate a centimeter or more back from the edge to put your screw / bolt into.

agh why didn't I think of that, I'll enquire with my dad and see what small brackets we've got.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
this is quite the project you took on

I applaud you on this ... i love seeing people with the forte to carry a project from concept to completion.

best of luck

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan

please do that! we know how long it took for your dad to drill those holes :)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
please do that! we know how long it took for your dad to drill those holes :)

I think I'll just glue it and hope it stays in place, I bought 2 high density tubes of super glue, so that should do the trick :p

Just got to get the CD drive to stay in place and find a way to get the acrylic to stay on (don't think I can use glue, it reacts), then it's done :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.