Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
You're breaking a contract with Apple, not violating a state or federal law. They can pursue you, the district attorney won't. I'm not going to argue this, but I'm also not wrong :eek:

You can stop arguing this, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.

You are viewing the term "law" in an incorrectly narrow way. You don't seem to know what common law is (Judge-made law in laymen's terms), nor do you have a grasp on civil litigation as an important section of the "law". Law is not limited to criminal statutes. If you absolutely need to see a statute to believe something a law, maybe you should check out the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) that has been adopted by most states to create uniform "laws" between the states with regard to commercial transactions such as buying software. In the meantime, stop talking.

-Ado

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133810

We have them at work, they're awesome, can't wait to run the xmac through it

Nice machine. Is it a TV or a monitor? We're looking at buying a new monitor, and I'm leaning towards the Dell 2007 WFP ultrasharp 20" which is about £250 and used to be wildly popular. It's mainly for spreadsheets and stuff like that, but I'm not sure if the Dell is still THE monitor to get.

To the people talking about laws and contracts, unless you're an expert in UK law, shut up. The fine details of UK law on contract and tort are very different to the USA.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Nice machine. Is it a TV or a monitor? We're looking at buying a new monitor, and I'm leaning towards the Dell 2007 WFP ultrasharp 20" which is about £250 and used to be wildly popular. It's mainly for spreadsheets and stuff like that, but I'm not sure if the Dell is still THE monitor to get.
It's a TV, which means it costs a helluva lot more than a monitor using the same panel. You pay for the extra connections, the tuners, the upscalers, etc. so if you're not going to use them there is no point in paying for them. The 2007 WFP is a good monitor, but Ultrasharps are rather expensive compared to other high quality panels such as LG's Flatron range (which can be had in the 20-22" range for under £150).

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It's a TV, which means it costs a helluva lot more than a monitor using the same panel. You pay for the extra connections, the tuners, the upscalers, etc. so if you're not going to use them there is no point in paying for them. The 2007 WFP is a good monitor, but Ultrasharps are rather expensive compared to other high quality panels such as LG's Flatron range (which can be had in the 20-22" range for under £150).

Correct, which is a shame as 22" monitors are pretty damn cheap now, and the chipsets in TV's are also pretty damn cheap, so someone's making a fat profit...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Of course not, I'm waiting on my dad....

No progress, give it a week or 2 more, at the least...

EDIT: I think I'll at least put all the hardware in and see if it fits, and tomorrow cut out thew apple logo off the top of the case, I don't hold any breaths for my dad to start the front though...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
New progress!!

Put everything in, hard drive caddy, DVDRW and all, all fits perfectly! :D

Took it back out again to test with a old worthless drive (didn't want it blowing up with my current drives in there)

Success in turning the machine on, although it did keep saying keyboard error or no keyboard attached (EDIT: a USB keyboard was attached, I'm not that stupid), which was odd, plugged in a old PS2 keyboard and it worked fine, reset the bios back to fail safe defaults and tested installing XP.

The machine works well, I got given a PNY(??) Nvidia 8800GT 256mb graphics card, XP doesn't have the propper drivers installed so it's very very slow at the moment, but it looks promising :D

Pictures showing various stages of progress as follows:

Attachments

• DSCF5484.JPG
    DSCF5484.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF5497.JPG
    DSCF5497.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF5496.JPG
    DSCF5496.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF5490.JPG
    DSCF5490.JPG
    380.6 KB · Views: 169

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
New progress!!

Took it back out again to test with a old worthless drive (didn't want it blowing up with my current drives in there)

Success in turning the machine on, although it did keep saying keyboard error or no keyboard attached (EDIT: a USB keyboard was attached, I'm not that stupid), which was odd, plugged in a old PS2 keyboard and it worked fine, reset the bios back to fail safe defaults and tested installing XP.

The machine works well, I got given a PNY(??) Nvidia 8800GT 256mb graphics card, XP doesn't have the propper drivers installed so it's very very slow at the moment, but it looks promising :D

lot's of progress, and now the case?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Yeah I know, it's practically false progress, but still, it took a while, I'm going to flatten one side of the case so I can cut some of the acrylic out tonight, and cut out the apple logo from the top too.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
New progress!!

nice, that does look like a really nice monitor (or tv?) any where I can get it in the states?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Doesn't look like an 8800GT to me.

CORRECT! I was wrong, it's a 6600 (possibly GS or GT) 256mb ram

I looked for it stateside, and it seems to just be a EU/UK model. :(

It is EU, it come's with a EU power cable, just in case :confused:

and to remmy, good idea, but that's very expensive and outsourcing materials, which I really don't want to do.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok, so after ALOT of radio silence, my dad is going to convert the auto cad drawing I did into a mastercam drawing, and should be able to start and finish the front by next week :D:D:D:D:D

It's a greatttttt day :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.