Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I see. Please raise the issue on the RefindPlus GitHub repo. Link is in Post 1 under support options.

Is there any risk to damaging my bootcamp install if I choose that (HFS) disk to perform the EFI mods using these tools?

TT

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Is there any risk to damaging my bootcamp install

The answer to your query is actually in a prominent position in Post 1. Rather than point you to it, what is best for you is to get familiar with certain basic actions that will stand you in good stead with respect to running an unsupported Mac.

If you are unable to find the answer, what you need to do is simple. Take a backup of your drive and do what you want to do. If things work without issue, you are good. If they go belly up, restore and you are good. You should in fact already have such a backup if the volume is that important to you anyway.

This basic test flight principle will set you up for issue free operation in many aspects of hacking your unsupported unit.

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
RefindPlus can work with OC configs from any source, including from the OCLP.

As with any config from third parties, you will need to make sure the LauncherOption setting is consistent with MyBootMgr requirements before use as explained under the Post Installation Section of Post 1.

If you have been using the OCLP before, or ever booted into an OCLP OC setup without this change (even once), your Mac will be in a perpetual state of OC executing a boot coup every time you start it up and you will need to resolve this by following the instructions on recovering from OpenCore boot coups under the "Other Considerations" section of Post 1.

To repeat, every time you boot into OC via an OCLP setup without the mentioned change, the perpetual boot coup state will be reinstated.

Since this advice was provided 3+ mo ago, things might have changed. What changes are needed to prevent the perpetual boot coup state?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
All the information needed to implement this process is in Post 1 and there is a big label there stating so.
The fewer other posts of the thread you read, the better off you will be.

Last edited:

thrush

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
All the information needed to implement this process is in Post 1 and there is a big label there stating so.
The fewer other posts of the thread you read, the better off you will be.

Got it working w/BS but had to remove a bootcamp ssd to get past a blank refindplus screen. Removing it and softblessing/rebooting works fine. Shutdown, remove that ssd, softblessing/rebooting and it works again.

Any troubleshooting tips? The whole idea was to select the win7/ssd from refindplus when needed.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Please look under "Support Options" in Post 1 for where to raise RefindPlus specific issues.

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Post 1:

000-logs.JPG

oliverc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Thanks a lot OP. This thing works just GREAT. Excellent work.
Only Issue I have encountered so far is refind+Doesn’t seem to see a USB key with MacOS install. Did I miss something?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
RefindPlus (not refind+, rEFInd+, reFindPlus etc btw) only shows items as boot options when they have a recognisable OS boot structure. The Mac OS installer on your USB does not have the Mac OS boot structure (or any OS boot structure known to RefindPlus) and therefore is just a data store as far as it is concerned and hence not displayed as a boot option.

In any case, you do not want to run a Mac OS installer from RefindPlus and you should do this when booted into Mac OS or from OpenCore.

Please use the link provided under Support Options in Post 1 for such RefindPlus queries in future.
Thanks

EdMun

macrumors member
May 31, 2022
Otautahi
hi Dayo, I've been configuring a MP 5,1 as per my 3,1 and find ConfigFactory doesn't recognise the model or GPU so I'm wondering where it looks for that info, coincidentally 'about this mac' is missing '(Mid-2012)'
On 3,1 ConfigFactory recognises the same GPU. I don't see what causes ConfigFactory to sometimes display a GPU selection list, it's reassuring.

Attachments

• ConfigFactLog.jpg
    ConfigFactLog.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 68

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
ConfigFactory doesn't recognise the model or GPU so I'm wondering where it looks for that info, coincidentally 'about this mac' is missing '(Mid-2012)'
ConfigFactory does not do much in respect of getting GPU information once it concludes, as it did for you, that it is not being run on a cMP or Xserve. That the unit itself does not quite self identify is probably not coincidental. Please share the output of running system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType | grep 'Chipset Model:' in Terminal.

On the model, please share the first 3 and last 4 digits of your serial number. This contains generic information that identify the model without the other parts that are specific to your unit. Additionally, share the output of running system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep 'Boot ROM Version' in Terminal while booted into a natively supported MacOS without using OpenCore.

Reactions: EdMun

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Updated MyBootMgr to v084a
See change log in Post 1 for details

Reactions: thrush

EdMun

macrumors member
May 31, 2022
Otautahi
hi Dayo, I just read ConfigFactory dialog important BootRom corruption message for the first time last night o_O
It seems my BootRom and about this mac issues were unrelated and ConfigFactory still doesn't recognise this hardware with reconstructed BootROM.

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType | grep 'Chipset Model:' Chipset Model: Radeon RX 570

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep 'Boot ROM Version' Boot ROM Version- 144.0.0.0.

Serial #: CO7-F4MC

Attachments

• about.jpg
    about.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 63
  • MyBootMgr-Dialog.jpg
    MyBootMgr-Dialog.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 8.24.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 8.24.43 AM.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1663360440153.png
    1663360440153.png
    161 bytes · Views: 62

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
There is nothing wrong with your unit or the BootROM and there was an issue in ConfigFactory that meant the model id code would not recognise your unit. This also resulted in a failure to identify your GPU as the GPU id code is skipped when the model is not identified.

Just stick with the setup you have in place until the next update as the cut off for updating MyBootMgr for non-critical issues has passed and it will only be looked at again just before the next version.

On a different item, can you please run the attached test file and share the output?
Just download, unzip and run from anywhere. It should create a dialogue box.

Thanks.

Last edited:

EdMun

macrumors member
May 31, 2022
Otautahi
Thanks, the script returns 'blank output' Monterey. I'll try Mojave,

Edit: Mojave...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 9.46.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 9.46.05 AM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

EdMun

macrumors member
May 31, 2022
Otautahi
BTW the '-data' volumes appearing in the picker bug seems peculiar to 3,1 firmware and not disk formatting as I guessed earlier.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I had great success updating my primary cMP system from BigSur 11.6.8 to Monterey 12.6 using the OC_UPD instance in RefindPlus thanks to the latest version of MyBootMgr v084a. I just used the System Preferences > System Update method of updating, and after a couple of reboots it upgraded without incident. Still working through my hoard of apps to see what is and isn't compatible with Monterey - nothing stands out yet. Two more years!

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Updated MyBootMgr to v085

Reactions: EdMun

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Updated MyBootMgr to v085
Hello Dayo. Thank you for this update. I’m trying to understand the new boot menu options. I now have 3 OC selections. One of them is described as (OC LEG: iMacPro 1,1 to run BigSur/older).

When I attempt to boot into Mojave using that option, I get a white screen. Nothing happens, so I have to perform a hard reset. On the other hand, the default option (MacPro7,1 to run Catalina-Monterey) still shows Mojave, but will crash and reset when attempting to run it.

The default option will boot BigSur just fine though, and I do confirm OC v85 is running.

My question is, how can I boot native Mojave using OC? Is there a way to configure the legacy OC instance to behave more like OC v79 that would allow booting Mojave? I've included some logs, but they're not telling me much as to why the legacy instance is crashing.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-10-06-085859.txt
    256 KB · Views: 70
  • 22t06i5808.log.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Hmm. Will take a look later but in the meantime, share the ConfigFactory debug log and the config plist from OC_LEG.

Queries:
  1. Are you able to boot Big Sur from OC_LEG?
  2. Are you able to boot Mojave from RefindPlus?

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Hmm. Will take a look later but in the meantime, share the ConfigFactory debug log and the config plist from OC_LEG.

Queries:
  1. Are you able to boot Big Sur from OC_LEG?
  2. Are you able to boot Mojave from RefindPlus?
Thanks, Dayo.

Answers:
  1. No. Immediately upon selecting OC_LEG, I get a white screen. Seems like OC does not fully initialize.
  2. I can boot Mojave from RefindPlus without issue. Only when attempting to boot it OC_Default or OC_LEG do I encounter issues. Booting from default will cause the system to panic/reboot.
Perhaps adding Mojave as a predefined option with corresponding PLIST entries in ConfigFactory would be helpful?
1665049153587.png

Attached is the ConfigFactory debug log.

EDIT: I think I figured out why OC_LEG doesn't initialize. Seems ConfigFactory did not generate a config plist file. This is everything in the OC_LEG folder on the EFI partition:
1665049484389.png

EDIT_2: I do confirm that config plist exists in OC, OC_ALT, and OC_UPD only.

EDIT_3: Checking EFI folder in the MyBootMgr folder, I do see a Config.plist file there for OC_LEG. Let me run DeployConfig again and see what happens.

EDIT_4: I deleted everything from EFI and redeployed (last time I noticed there was zero KB remaining space, so perhaps not everything was copied. I can now boot Mojave from OC_LEG. Will revert on attempting to boot Mojave from OC default.

Attachments

• DebugLog_ConfigFactory.log.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.