Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Dayo, just tried to run Mojave again from OC_default. Shortly after selecting it from the OC bootpicker, I get the Apple logo screen and then it'll crash, followed by a reboot.

If the default option is unable to run Mojave (as based on the description in RefindPlus menu), can Mojave be eliminated from the OC boot menu?

Otherwise, it would be good to have Mojave boot support under the default OC instance.

See attached logs.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-10-06-100313.txt
    256 KB · Views: 129
  • 22t06k0222.log.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 62

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Ok. So you had/have three issues/queries:
  1. You could not boot Mojave (anything actually) from the OC_LEG instance
    • This was apparently because the config.plist file was not deployed for some reason
    • You have now managed to deploy all the files needed and this has now been resolved
    • The failure to deploy all the files was possibly due to the ESP being full
      • It may be the case however, that you have been manually moving stuff into the ESP instead of using DeployConfig and failed to move the plist file when doing so
      • Either way, always switch from DBG to REL after updates to avoid filling your ESP with log files
        • MyBootMgr includes the SwitchRunMode app that automates switching both OpenCore and RefindPlus, together or individually, back and forth between DBG and REL modes
  2. You cannot boot Mojave from the default OpenCore instance, labelled as being for Catalina to Monterey, and wonder whether it can be changed to also boot Mojave
    • MyBootMgr creates instances tailored to Mac OS versions and these are clearly labelled in RefindPlus as you know
    • There would be little point having multiple instances if they would all work out of one instance and while it is technically possible to create an instance that would boot Mojave along with Monterey for instance, this does not fit with many things in the MyBootMgr setup and implementing this is not planned at this time.
    • Should you absolutely need to have this, you can always amend the config plist as needed.
      • I cannot remember the changes needed off the top off my head but a search of the forum should turn answers up. You can check the OpenCore on the MacPro thread. There is likely stuff along those lines in the guide there.
      • However, I don't really see the point since you can always either use RefindPlus to directly boot Mojave or select the instance that can boot it before choosing one that doesn't in the first place as you presumably know which Mac OS version you want to run before selecting an OpenCore instance; which are clearly labelled as mentioned.
      • Regardless, the option is there to amend the config and MyBootMgr gives users the flexibility to code any amendments to the default output that they want to make into WrangleConfig; which can be used to apply them automatically every time they run ConfigFactory.
        • Any such scripting added to WrangleConfig is maintained across MyBootMgr updates and only needs to be done once
  3. You want to know whether Mojave or presumably any Mac OS version that an OpenCore instance is not configured to boot, can be hidden.
    • You can only do this indirectly by putting that Mac OS version on a specific disk type and setting that instance to skip that disk type.
    • There is no option to skip volumes based on parameters such as the name or Mac OS version in OpenCore at this time.
      • You can make a feature request for this on the OpenCore repository on GitHub.

Last edited:
Reactions: amstel78

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Thanks, Dayo. Regarding point 2 - my wife or kids sometimes use the computer, and did not want them inadvertently selecting Mojave under OC_Default. I will investigate ways to remove this from the OC boot picker.

Regarding deployment of EFI files, yes, I did use DeployConfig on both instances.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I will investigate ways to remove this from the OC boot picker.
Easier to extend the coverage.

There is a good chance it will work with Mojave after changing SecureBootModel to "Disabled" in the config.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Right now, attempting to update BS to Monterey using OC_UPD instance. Machine rebooted, and after selecting the upgrade option in OC, the Mac appears to be frozen at an Apple logo screen with no progress bar. I'll let it sit for awhile...

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Hopefully, you don't mean that you switched from using the OC_UPD instance to the OC instance before completing the update process.
No, I continued to use the OC_UPD instance after the first reboot. I selected the update from the OC boot picker. Unfortunately, it appears to have hung at the Apple logo with no progress bar.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I see. You could try again or perhaps ask @JedNZ for tips as he apparently did the same update recently.

Reactions: amstel78

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
After leaving for work and letting the Mac sit at the Apple logo hoping it was just taking it's sweet time, I come home 8 hours later to find it still sitting at the same screen.

Hard reboot, tried it again, and the situation remains the same. According to @JedNZ , his upgrade worked just fine using the same methodology I employed. The only difference is he upgraded using v084a, and I'm on v085.

I posted my question over in the OC thread, hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. Perhaps it's an issue with a flag being incorrectly set. It seems once the updater package is selected, it's not being initialized. Unfortunately, I haven't messed with this cMP in some time, so everything I knew about OC has mostly been forgotten and I just don't know where to look.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I’ll upgrade to v085 after this weekend and try upgrade installing Monterey on my second cMP (same specs as my primary except drive setup differs and it’s using a Pulse RX580) and I’ll see if it plays nicely. Give me a couple of days to report back.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
@Dayo would you be able to send me a copy of v084? I'd like to see if I get different results with that iteration of MyBootMgr over v085. Perhaps there's a flag or kext missing in the newest version preventing me from upgrading to Monterey.

FWIW, I cleared NVRAM and then pulled everything out of the cMP except for the EFI and target drive. Still no luck.
1665096943881.jpeg

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Turned logging back on to see what I get. I'm attaching here for you @Dayo with hopes you can see what's going on. Also including the OC_UPD config.plist file.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-10-07-002317.txt
    256 KB · Views: 230
  • 22t07a1857.log.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 50
  • config.plist.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 65

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
@Dayo

Based on feedback from the OC thread, it seems the following regarding AVXpel isn't found in any config.plist file instances. Could you please check and advise? This is despite selecting YES to inserting AVXpel support in ConfigFactory.

Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
<dict>
⋮
<key>Patch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<string>_lzvn_decode_buffer</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AVXpel - part 1 of 6</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
xMF9fwfEwX1/TyDEwX1/V0DEwX1/X2DEwX1/p4AAAADE
wX1/r6AAAADEwX1/t8AAAADEwX1/v+AAAADEQX1/hwAB
AADEQX1/jyABAADEQX1/l0ABAADEQX1/n2ABAADEQX1/
p4ABAADEQX1/r6ABAADEQX1/t8ABAADEQX1/v+ABAAA=
</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<string>com.apple.AppleFSCompression.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib</string>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>7168</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.6.0</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.5.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
ZkEPfwdmQQ9/TxBmQQ9/VyBmQQ9/XzBmQQ9/Z0BmQQ9/
b1BmQQ9/d2BmQQ9/f3BmRQ9/h4AAAABmRQ9/j5AAAABm
RQ9/l6AAAABmRQ9/n7AAAABmRQ9/p8AAAABmRQ9/r9AA
AABmRQ9/t+AAAABmRQ9/v/AAAACQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJA=
</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AVXpel - part 2 of 6</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
xMF9bwfEwX1vTyDEwX1vV0DEwX1vX2DEwX1vp4AAAADE
wX1vr6AAAADEwX1vt8AAAADEwX1vv+AAAADEQX1vhwAB
AADEQX1vjyABAADEQX1vl0ABAADEQX1vn2ABAADEQX1v
p4ABAADEQX1vr6ABAADEQX1vt8ABAADEQX1vv+ABAAA=
</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>7168</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.6.0</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.5.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
ZkEPbwdmQQ9vTxBmQQ9vVyBmQQ9vXzBmQQ9vZ0BmQQ9v
b1BmQQ9vd2BmQQ9vf3BmRQ9vh4AAAABmRQ9vj5AAAABm
RQ9vl6AAAABmRQ9vn7AAAABmRQ9vp8AAAABmRQ9vr9AA
AABmRQ9vt+AAAABmRQ9vv/AAAACQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJA=
</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AVXpel - part 3 of 6</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
xf1vAMX9b0ggxf1vUEDF/W9YYMX9b6CAAAAAxf1vqKAA
AADF/W+wwAAAAMX9b7jgAAAAxX1vgAABAADFfW+IIAEA
AMV9b5BAAQAAxX1vmGABAADFfW+ggAEAAMV9b6igAQAA
xX1vsMABAADFfW+44AEAAA==
</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>7168</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.6.0</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.5.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
Zg9vAGYPb0gQZg9vUCBmD29YMGYPb2BAZg9vaFBmD29w
YGYPb3hwZkQPb4CAAAAAZkQPb4iQAAAAZkQPb5CgAAAA
ZkQPb5iwAAAAZkQPb6DAAAAAZkQPb6jQAAAAZkQPb7Dg
AAAAZkQPb7jwAAAAkJCQkA==
</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<string>_lzbitmap_decode</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AVXpel - part 4 of 6</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
xMF9fwfEwX1/TyDEwX1/V0DEwX1/X2DEwX1/p4AAAADE
wX1/r6AAAADEwX1/t8AAAADEwX1/v+AAAADEQX1/hwAB
AADEQX1/jyABAADEQX1/l0ABAADEQX1/n2ABAADEQX1/
p4ABAADEQX1/r6ABAADEQX1/t8ABAADEQX1/v+ABAAA=
</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.DiskImages.UDIFDiskImage</string>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>7168</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.6.0</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.5.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
ZkEPfwdmQQ9/TxBmQQ9/VyBmQQ9/XzBmQQ9/Z0BmQQ9/
b1BmQQ9/d2BmQQ9/f3BmRQ9/h4AAAABmRQ9/j5AAAABm
RQ9/l6AAAABmRQ9/n7AAAABmRQ9/p8AAAABmRQ9/r9AA
AABmRQ9/t+AAAABmRQ9/v/AAAACQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJA=
</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AVXpel - part 5 of 6</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
xMF9bwfEwX1vTyDEwX1vV0DEwX1vX2DEwX1vp4AAAADE
wX1vr6AAAADEwX1vt8AAAADEwX1vv+AAAADEQX1vhwAB
AADEQX1vjyABAADEQX1vl0ABAADEQX1vn2ABAADEQX1v
p4ABAADEQX1vr6ABAADEQX1vt8ABAADEQX1vv+ABAAA=
</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>7168</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.6.0</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.5.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
ZkEPbwdmQQ9vTxBmQQ9vVyBmQQ9vXzBmQQ9vZ0BmQQ9v
b1BmQQ9vd2BmQQ9vf3BmRQ9vh4AAAABmRQ9vj5AAAABm
RQ9vl6AAAABmRQ9vn7AAAABmRQ9vp8AAAABmRQ9vr9AA
AABmRQ9vt+AAAABmRQ9vv/AAAACQkJCQkJCQkJCQkJA=
</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Base</key>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AVXpel - part 6 of 6</string>
<key>Count</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
xf1vAMX9b0ggxf1vUEDF/W9YYMX9b6CAAAAAxf1vqKAA
AADF/W+wwAAAAMX9b7jgAAAAxX1vgAABAADFfW+IIAEA
AMV9b5BAAQAAxX1vmGABAADFfW+ggAEAAMV9b6igAQAA
xX1vsMABAADFfW+44AEAAA==
</data>
<key>Identifier</key>
<key>Limit</key>
<integer>7168</integer>
<key>Mask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>MaxKernel</key>
<string>21.6.0</string>
<key>MinKernel</key>
<string>21.5.0</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
Zg9vAGYPb0gQZg9vUCBmD29YMGYPb2BAZg9vaFBmD29w
YGYPb3hwZkQPb4CAAAAAZkQPb4iQAAAAZkQPb5CgAAAA
ZkQPb5iwAAAAZkQPb6DAAAAAZkQPb6jQAAAAZkQPb7Dg
AAAAZkQPb7jwAAAAkJCQkA==
</data>
<key>ReplaceMask</key>
<data>
</data>
<key>Skip</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</array>
<key>Quirks</key>

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Hi,

Been traveling and will not have access to my machine until later.

Some quick responses:

would you be able to send me a copy of v084?
Should not be a difference between v084 and v085 but some kexts were updated to latest versions so worth a shot.
Don't have access to provide the file just now. Perhaps send a PM to JedNZ to put it somewhere for you?

Turned logging back on to see what I get. I'm attaching here for you @Dayo with hopes you can see what's going on. Also including the OC_UPD config.plist file.
Will take a look later

AVXpel isn't found in any config.plist file instances despite selecting YES to inserting AVXpel support in ConfigFactory.
There is no option to select YES or NO regarding AVXpel in Configfactory. What is there is a choice between two ways of implementing AVX use mitigation:
  1. AVXpel Patches
  2. NoZlibAVZ Kext
If you select AVXpel patches, the patches will be inserted in the appropriate instances and if you select the other option, the kext will be used instead. If you don't see the patches, that is because you selected using the kext (the default highlighted option).

You can select using the patches instead to see if it works when the kext does not. Should not make a difference but worth a try. Do not manually add the patches when the kext is active!

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Hi,

Been traveling and will not have access to my machine until later.

Some quick responses:

Should not be a difference between v084 and v085 but some kexts were updated to latest versions so worth a shot.
Don't have access to provide the file just now. Perhaps send a PM to JedNZ to put it somewhere for you?

Will take a look later

There is no option to select YES or NO regarding AVXpel in Configfactory. What is there is a choice between two ways of implementing AVX use mitigation:
  1. AVXpel Patches
  2. NoZlibAVZ Kext
If you select AVXpel patches, the patches will be inserted in the appropriate instances and if you select the other option, the kext will be used instead. If you don't see the patches, that is because you selected using the kext (the default highlighted option).

You can select using the patches instead to see if it works when the kext does not. Should not make a difference but worth a try. Do not manually add the patches when the kext is active!
Tried both... started with NoZlibAVZ which did not work. I then ran ConfigFactory again and selected AVXpel patches. However, I did not see the relevant entries for AVXpel when perusing the config.plist for both OC_UPD and OC default in Xcode. I even searched by certain keywords and found nothing. It seems ConfigFactory isn't adding the patches.

Anyway, most grateful for your help whenever you get the chance. Safe travels.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
For the sake of covering all bases, here are the relevant log files and config.plist with NoZlibAVZ utilized.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-10-07-101331.txt
    256 KB · Views: 207
  • 22t07k1238.log.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 53
  • config.plist.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 62

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
They are here
Those are old files that you posted BEFORE I pointed out that you couldn't have had AVXpel on. They have the kext option as I explained before.

config.plist with NoZlibAVZ utilized.
The same as what you linked to.

What I asked for were the files where you said you selected the AVXpel option and you couldn't find the patches in the config; leading you to conclude that "It seems ConfigFactory isn't adding the patches".

BTW, I don't think AVXpel is a factor here but need to close down the suggestion that patches are not being added when the option is correctly selected in ConfigFactory.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Yes, v084a. Thanks. Unfortunately, Jed is away and unable to assist for the time being.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
OK. Should be able to send a link sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime, please confirm you have tried the version that does have the AVXpel patches so that angle can be closed.

PS: I don't think the version is significant but I suppose it needs to be tested

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.