Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks for the feedback! Taking some notes here and will submit these ideas to the rest of the team for consideration. Here are some comments addressing the ideas some of you have mentioned.

Zip code searching will most likely be coming soon. With a limited amount of time to develop the application, unfortunately location management has kind of had to lag behind a bit. We were able to add a lot more locations in the update a few days ago, but there is still some work to be done. For the next version, we'll be spending time adding more locations, and supporting new ways to add a location (such as searching by zip code). With a gradual move to support locations worldwide, offering an efficient method to search for and add new locations is important.

We've also been looking at interfaces to allow users to control the radar loop. Right now, the loop consists of 10 frames. Each frame is about 6 minutes apart, so what you are seeing is the last hour of precipitation activity on the map. The last radar image is paused for a second or two, just to give you a chance to see the latest frame. Obviously, with this feature recently added, we're just getting started...

I'll pass along the requests for more information like probability of precipitation, wind speeds, webcams, etc. The iPhone and iPod touch are small devices, so it's difficult to show absolutely everything without making it impossibly confusing for people to use the application. :) I think we still have some room to grow here, and we'll look into this as development continues.

There are a lot of exciting features in the pipeline, so stay tuned for further updates.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Mike,

I passed this along to James on your support page this morning. Hopefully you can implement some of the following suggestions

I just purchased the app and It's great. I gave you guys a 5 star review on the itunes store. Just a few suggestions.

1.) You should make the ""My Weather" would like to use your location" option a option that we can make the default in the settings page or just keep it off for good. It's annoying to get the pop up twice everytime I open the app. I always keep my gps off because it saves battery life and only turn it on when I need it.

2.) It would be awesome if the radar image that you used last for each city remembered the last state it was in. I often zoom in and every time I go into the app for a particular city I have to reset my radar settings.

3.) weather alerts

4.) Animated infrared satellite images.

5.) If you click on a particular city on the list it would be awesome to be able to bring up another screen that had more detailed conditions like current humidity, barometer, wind direction, wind speed, etc along with a detailed text based 3 or 5 days forecast.

Thanks again for the hard work. If you need any help with user testing let me know.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
One of the great features of PocketWeather (SBSH) for WM is that you can add images via their urls. If you want to see the weather channel's snow prediction map, air quality, whatever, you simply add the url and the app poles and pulls down the images to your device at the intervals you set.

If you are looking for beta testers I'm happy to help. I think I've used all the major weather tools/apps for WM out there.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Suggestions for next release

Mike,

Great app, in particular the radar!

Here are some suggestions for future enhancements:

1. Biggest need is to allow a default (home) location and avoid the myweather location when going into the application. The ask for locations services popup is very annoying. Most of the time a person is in their home location and we should have a preference to select a home city so we can avoid the battery drain and popup of location services. Then when traveling it will be nice to select myweather and get local weather based on gps. But this should be a user choice. I check the weather a bunch during the day and I would like it not to ask for location services unless I click on myweather.

2. Add option to see cloud cover on moving map. See 'visible clouds' on accuweather satellite for an example.

3. Allow rotate to landscape on main screen so you can show more forecast days, etc.

4. Show graph/trend of 15 temperatures (high/lows). Again, accuweather has a good example.

5. Show current temperature and weather on your main icon (for your default location). Similar to how the calendar application shows the current date. I think this would be very, very popular if you can do in a way that is not a battery drain (like poll for current temp every hour).

Thanks and keep up the good work.

SecretNY

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
I bought it for the radar. Great so far.

When I had a Treo most programs cost at least $10 and some where $50!

$15 is not bad for the best radar around.

Thanks for the program.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I'm the developer of MyWeather Mobile for the iPhone.

There was a problem last week with the forecast model, which resulted in forecast temperatures being 5-10 degrees above normal for some days. As far as I know this issue has been resolved, so if you continue to see forecasts that are dramatically off-base, let us know.

Version 1.1 with animated radar, 4x the locations, and a host of other features/bug fixes will be posted soon...

Mike

If you made a weather App which supported UK locations you would make a LOT of money as there are currently NO applications which offer this functionality on the UK app store.

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
So does everyone think this is still the best weather app out there? I'm reluctant to spend the $15, but I have to have animated radar. Sure you can get radar from a variety of places online, but what good is it if you can't tell which way storms are moving?

Hutch1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I have a few questions that I will need answers be for I buy this app
Looking at it it looks great and is what I want but...

Does it have wind speed and direction?
Does it have the heat index?
And does it have Des Monies, ia as a city in the DB?

DCAppleDude

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
Washington, D.C.
Thanks for the feedback! Taking some notes here and will submit these ideas to the rest of the team for consideration. Here are some comments addressing the ideas some of you have mentioned.

Zip code searching will most likely be coming soon. With a limited amount of time to develop the application, unfortunately location management has kind of had to lag behind a bit. We were able to add a lot more locations in the update a few days ago, but there is still some work to be done. For the next version, we'll be spending time adding more locations, and supporting new ways to add a location (such as searching by zip code). With a gradual move to support locations worldwide, offering an efficient method to search for and add new locations is important.

We've also been looking at interfaces to allow users to control the radar loop. Right now, the loop consists of 10 frames. Each frame is about 6 minutes apart, so what you are seeing is the last hour of precipitation activity on the map. The last radar image is paused for a second or two, just to give you a chance to see the latest frame. Obviously, with this feature recently added, we're just getting started...

I'll pass along the requests for more information like probability of precipitation, wind speeds, webcams, etc. The iPhone and iPod touch are small devices, so it's difficult to show absolutely everything without making it impossibly confusing for people to use the application. :) I think we still have some room to grow here, and we'll look into this as development continues.

There are a lot of exciting features in the pipeline, so stay tuned for further updates.

Mike....I'm looking forward to buying this app, but I'd like some assurance that local weather alerts will be included. Otherwise, I need to be in my Email or text to get those alerts. Please consider adding alerts as that's the key time to look at a radar for safety reasons. Maybe even a red "W" can appear on the icon for warning and a yellow "W" for watch (assuming you set a primary location)...kind of like E-mail, text or Facebook notifications. Thanks.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I have a few questions that I will need answers be for I buy this app
Looking at it it looks great and is what I want but...

Does it have wind speed and direction?
Does it have the heat index?
And does it have Des Monies, ia as a city in the DB?

It has wind speed and direction.
It does not have heat index, windchill or "feels like." It also does not list humidity.
It does have Des Moines.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Mike....I'm looking forward to buying this app, but I'd like some assurance that local weather alerts will be included. Otherwise, I need to be in my Email or text to get those alerts. Please consider adding alerts as that's the key time to look at a radar for safety reasons. Maybe even a red "W" can appear on the icon for warning and a yellow "W" for watch (assuming you set a primary location)...kind of like E-mail, text or Facebook notifications. Thanks.
+1
That would be great. Several of the Windows Mobile weather apps have this. The Red vs Yellow "W" idea is great. Maybe placed in the corner like new email, missed calls, etc. A text description of the alert would be a big plus, too.

SecretNY

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
I really like the app. The one thing I would like to have in the next update is the ability to have the radar remember your setting. Every time I want to check the radar (in landscape) I have to zoom in several times and adjust the location after the zoom. It would be much better if it would simply remember the last time I used the radar.

Still worth the money (I work outdoors and need to see the storms coming).

Also, how about showing the times on the radar loop?

Thanks guys.

Hutch1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
It has wind speed and direction.
It does not have heat index, windchill or "feels like." It also does not list humidity.
It does have Des Moines.

Well Mike until I can get heat index, windchill or "feels like." and the humidity. I cant buy this app... sorry but it has to have all that I stated be for i can justify spending 15 on this app. But by all means email me when and if you do add this and I will then get it :)

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks to everyone who has spent the time to post this valuable feedback. There's enough work here to keep us busy for months on end, so I ask only for your continued patience. :)

I can't comment on upcoming functionality at this time, but rest assured, we're already on our way to the next update and the whole team is pretty excited about the future of this product.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out on this thread, so definitely feel free to continue posting ideas and suggestions as you think of them!

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
First of all FANTASTIC APP!
I love it.

A couple of things I would change/add:

1. Ability to set a location to DEFAULT instead of it defaulting to the current location. I'd say 98% of users 98% of the time are in the same town and don't need gps based weather, it'd be nice to set my hometown to default and avoid the Location popup message.

2. CHEAPER. $15 bucks is steep for a weather app. I bought it but i think at 9.99 you'd get a lot more people buying it,

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Here's a question that would easily turn into a feature request.

Does the App also have the ability to display the raw weather data, as in METAR format?, Sort of what the NOAA displays at http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metar ? If not, could it?

BL.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
First of all FANTASTIC APP!
I love it.

A couple of things I would change/add:

1. Ability to set a location to DEFAULT instead of it defaulting to the current location. I'd say 98% of users 98% of the time are in the same town and don't need gps based weather, it'd be nice to set my hometown to default and avoid the Location popup message.

2. CHEAPER. $15 bucks is steep for a weather app. I bought it but i think at 9.99 you'd get a lot more people buying it,

I totally agree. If the app were $9.99 I'd definitely buy it. But $15 is a little too much. I think you will get a lot more buyers if you lower the price.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I love this app, but it's been crashing on me very frequently last few days. It's probably exploded three times today alone.

mikepj

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Whats the time frame on the next update? Loving the app.
We haven't scheduled a release date for the next version of the software yet, but we are actively working on it.

Does the App also have the ability to display the raw weather data, as in METAR format?, Sort of what the NOAA displays at http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metar ? If not, could it?
Thanks for the feedback. At this time, the application does not fetch METAR data to display current conditions, so a type of "raw" display of this information isn't really available without going and adding another data source (and the extra bandwidth requirements and processing that comes with it).

I love this app, but it's been crashing on me very frequently last few days. It's probably exploded three times today alone.
It sounds like your iPhone might be running low on memory. I'll notice that after using my iPhone for a few weeks, memory starts running low and apps that use a lot of memory (like Safari) crash more often. This is usually caused by certain system processes gradually taking more memory over a long period of time (just like those on Mac OS X). Try holding the power button on the top of your iPhone to turn it off completely (after sliding the confirmation bar). Then hit the power button again to turn the device back on. If you continue to experience instability, let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.